Author Topic: Stupid weather  (Read 1202 times)

Offline jamesdegitz

• Team IceShanty Regular
Stupid weather
« on: Jan 06, 2008, 04:15 AM »
I'm heading out to get some 'gills this morning.  Only problem is that as I'm writing this the temp. is 43 degrees.  it has been in the 40's for the last 3 days and I hope there's still some good ice when I get there.  How long does it usually take for good thick ice (about 5 inches) too melt in this kind of weather.  we've also had off and on drizzle.
I'm not getting skunked, I'm just eliminating water

Offline mainedukblaster

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • THE CAMP!!
Re: Stupid weather
« Reply #1 on: Jan 06, 2008, 09:51 AM »
well we are welcoming the warmth here in Maine, because we have over 12 inches of snow on most lakes and ponds, and with that kind of snow, the ice is well insulated and no matter how cold it gets it will not get any thicker..  so all of us here are hoping the warmth melts the snow, settles it down, and we are supposed to get cold back next weekend and with "clean ice" it will get harder and thicker again!!  This snow really put the damper on getting hardsides out... and we actually need this to make our season cherry..  with 5 inches of ice, in your situation, if you have any snow that will go first before any ice melt..  if you get freezing temps at night it will harden what melts.. and preserve the ice..  hope it helps.. this is my experience out here! Take it easy! 8)
MDB

Offline fish_finder

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #2 on: Jan 06, 2008, 04:36 PM »
well we are welcoming the warmth here in Maine, because we have over 12 inches of snow on most lakes and ponds, and with that kind of snow, the ice is well insulated and no matter how cold it gets it will not get any thicker..  so all of us here are hoping the warmth melts the snow, settles it down, and we are supposed to get cold back next weekend and with "clean ice" it will get harder and thicker again!!  This snow really put the damper on getting hardsides out... and we actually need this to make our season cherry..  with 5 inches of ice, in your situation, if you have any snow that will go first before any ice melt..  if you get freezing temps at night it will harden what melts.. and preserve the ice..  hope it helps.. this is my experience out here! Take it easy! 8)
MDB

Same here duckblaster, we been out all weeknd wading up to our crotches in snow and top of our boots in slush, can't wait for this warm weather to knock it all down so we can get some better ice
Theres only 3 seasons..open water, hunting and icefishing!

Offline Dull Hooks

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #3 on: Jan 06, 2008, 05:22 PM »
Shoot I may forget about ice fishing the next couple of days and go pull on some steelhead instead ;D

Offline klzeprobe83

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #4 on: Jan 07, 2008, 12:36 PM »
Doing much better than myself here in SW Michigan... We have 60 degrees exactly outside... We had over a foot of snow, and are down to 0... Plus, my little "Pool Pond" on top of the pool that was over 4 inches is completely water...

Offline djkruszewski

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • that's one big hole.
« Reply #5 on: Jan 07, 2008, 08:08 PM »
6 inches of ice with 40's and a few 50's ice will be unsafe in a matter of days.  i would stay off all ice right now, do to the mild temps.  we won't have safe ice again, until late next week! :'( :'(
when fisherman fish alone, do they really catch fish??

Offline birddog_20

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Life is like a box of chocolates
« Reply #6 on: Jan 07, 2008, 08:41 PM »
yea,same problem here in wi. we have about 12-13" hopefully it will last :-\ good luck to all :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

Offline toadhunter2

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #7 on: Jan 07, 2008, 09:03 PM »
goofy weather is right was fishing this afternoon and rode out sever thunder storm with hail in the portable shanty then the wife called and told our dumb a$$'s to get of the lake we were siting out there in a tornado warning luckily the rain let up and we hauled butt to the trucks witch were quite a ways from were we were fishing talk about extreme temps were in the low 60 :o
early mornings,cold north winds,hard ice,good friends and cold high life..FLAG UP!.priceless

Offline Boilerhawg

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #8 on: Jan 07, 2008, 09:26 PM »
Sorry, but I have to chuckle as you fellas worry about thin ice.  Up here in Alberta, most lakes have over 14 inches and it will keep getting thicker till probably the end of February or later.  We sometimes ice-fish into April.

I don't know if I'm bragging or complaining ???

Offline hunters08

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • all i can say is WOW
« Reply #9 on: Jan 07, 2008, 09:45 PM »
Sorry, but I have to chuckle as you fellas worry about thin ice.  Up here in Alberta, most lakes have over 14 inches and it will keep getting thicker till probably the end of February or later.  We sometimes ice-fish into April.

I don't know if I'm bragging or complaining ???
yup your definetly a bragger ;D :tipup:
If i'm not fish'n then i'd rather be turkey hunt'n [img width=100 height=80]

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.