Author Topic: What is the weirdest "thing" you have caught through the ice?  (Read 8179 times)

Offline FuzzyGrub

• IceShanty Rookie
Mine happened about 30 years ago, fishing Oneida.  Back then, you could leave the tip-ups overnight.  During the next mornings check, I had a flag where all of the line was run off the tip-up.  The line was taught and could barely get the tip-up out of the hole.  We were using 50lb+ braid for line.  After a number of attempts my dad came over to lend a hand.  After wrapping the line around a stick was able to pull it free.  "Free" only meant we could move it.  It was preety much feeling like a 30lb anchor.  After some more effort, was finally able to "land" it.  It is my largest take to date, one 5 1/2' ice spud!   The fish, in its efforts to escape, had wrapped the line around the ice spud, and then straightened out the hook!   BTW, I still have that spud.  A little touch-up sharpening and she is good to go each year.

What is the weirdest thing you have landed?
If it bends my pole, I'm a happy man...

Offline princecraft

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Hardwater Nut!
Re: What is the weirdest "thing" you have caught through the ice?
« Reply #1 on: Dec 27, 2007, 10:26 AM »
I caught a 18 inch northern pike on a mousie that had a bull frog leg still hanging out of its mouth.  It had digested pretty much the rest of the frog.  I don't know why it went for a mousie when it had a whole frog down its throat.
Fisherman's Prayer
   I pray that I may live to fish
          Until my dying day.
And when it comes to my last cast,
       I then most humbly pray:
When in the Lord's great landing net
           And peacefully asleep,
      That in His mercy I be Judged
              BIG ENOUGH TO KEEP.

Offline panfishman13

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #2 on: Dec 27, 2007, 10:36 AM »
sunglasses and a perch at the same time, we found an old hole on the edge of the ice about 6', down the water was crystal clear and we could see some sun glasses lying on the bottom so i grabbed a rod put a large treble hook on it and after about 5 min. hooked the glasses as i was pulling them out a 3"perch rushed in and grabbed the treble ??? ??? which was bare, except for the glasses. i guess he thought they were his  8) lol

Offline tightlineusny

• IceShanty Rookie
  • Ice Fishing Rulez!
« Reply #3 on: Dec 27, 2007, 10:39 AM »
Last year I was out with my nephew and another buddy. Fish were biting pretty good, my nephew looked down his hole and his $200 sun glasses went to the bottom. His buddy went over spent about 2 minutes jigging the hole.....and guess what...he caught those sunglasses..lol high fives were going on all over the ice..now thats a classic.

Offline fish_finder

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #4 on: Dec 27, 2007, 10:59 AM »
 Some how caught a fresh water clam/mussel jigging near the bottom for perch, i figure it was open then the hook hit the opening and it closed up...oh well got some extra bait out of it
Theres only 3 seasons..open water, hunting and icefishing!

Jer

« Reply #5 on: Dec 27, 2007, 11:02 AM »
Crayfish on several occasions. They feed on the dead minnows on your line and cause you to think you have fish biting, but you only have crayfish biting.

Offline wallin

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #6 on: Dec 27, 2007, 11:05 AM »
All I can say is we had a few beers and she was pretty ugly so we threw her back-LOL
Funny stories guys.LMAO
keep em coming
Tom

Offline irishjigger

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • My Favorite Fishin Partner!
« Reply #7 on: Dec 27, 2007, 11:35 AM »
My fishing partner and I were setting up a new hole , slow morning started moving around , we drilled the hole , grabbed a tip up from a slow hole bring it over . Now my buddy asks me for my sounder , left his on his pack basket , so I give it to him . He sounds the hole . Hey , I got something he says , out he pulls this bullhead ! He must have dropped that sounder right on that bullhead and it snapped at it hooking itself . Needless to say when the fish hit it knocked the sounder off ! My buddy "I quess I owe ya one!"...........Im still waiting!  ;D
I spent all my money on fishin,huntin,and beer  , everything else was just a waste!
TEAM MIRC NYRC Official Mic Of Mirc

Offline Fish Farmer

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #8 on: Dec 27, 2007, 11:55 AM »
When I was pulling up my last tipup line of the day I had hooked onto an old boot! Well, it was mostly disintergated but still had some leather, eyelets and rubber sole. My bait smelt apparently was hiding in it.

Offline WOODY PIKEMAN

• IceShanty Rookie
  • Hardwater Nut!
« Reply #9 on: Dec 27, 2007, 12:14 PM »
I CAUGHT AN OTTER FIRST LAKE IN OLD FORGE NY THAT WAS PRETTY WEIRD

Offline FuzzyGrub

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #10 on: Dec 27, 2007, 01:23 PM »
OK, I'd say the otter is winning in the "live" creature weird catagory.

I think I'm still winning for largest and most useful "object".  :D

Gotta be some more out there.  I was expecting a few fish rod/reels ;) 

Offline pikeking

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #11 on: Dec 27, 2007, 01:32 PM »
I caught a Muskrat in a river that I trout fish. He ate Thomas Buoyant in fast water.
If fishing was work I'd never be sick!

Offline Fishback

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • I-I-I-I-I-I-I-CE!!!!
« Reply #12 on: Dec 27, 2007, 01:50 PM »
I've landed a brick!

My minnow swam around a rope that was tied to a brick at the bottom. Well....Flag goes up.....we all run over......I start pulling. I'm hooting and hollaring. If you've never pulled up a brick before, it feels like 3-4 lbs of dead weight flopping around. I obviously thought it was a huge fish......it wasn't. It was a brick. A damned brick.

True story.

Offline oneida1

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #13 on: Dec 27, 2007, 01:52 PM »
caught a five pd walleye once about five min. prior the guy next to me had his line break an sure enough the walleye still had the guys pimple stuck in his mouth kept the fish but gave the lure back

Offline tstegora

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #14 on: Dec 27, 2007, 01:56 PM »
what is an "ice spud"??
I just love to fish HARD WATER!!!

Offline CHICKENFOOT

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #15 on: Dec 27, 2007, 01:57 PM »
The weirdest thing I caught was on a Lake in NJ. I had been jigging a rapala for perch in 40 feet and I hooked something that just did not feel right. I reeled up and there was fishing line,so I grabbed it. The line was still pulsing so I hand lined only to find a jigging rod, then the rod stared to bend and I new a fish was on, a BIG FISH.I reeled very carefully and on the end of line was a 27" Brown trout!! The moral of the story I think is.NEVER LEAVE A JIIGING ROD IN THE WATER TO GRAB A TIPUP. :tipup:

Offline fishstalker

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #16 on: Dec 27, 2007, 02:01 PM »
I caught a 8 lb down rigger ball with about 50 feet of cable and a release still attached.

Offline FuzzyGrub

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #17 on: Dec 27, 2007, 02:10 PM »
Now, were starting to get some "interesting" responses, sun glsses, otter, musk rats, rod/reel/line/and fish, down rigger ball, fish w/neighbors lre, etc   Keep em coming...

what is an "ice spud"??

Ancient implement to make fishing hole in ice. :)  Basicly a chisel on on the end of a pipe, w/small T at top.  This was back when no one heard of ice augers. ;)   Today, mainly used for walking stick to test ice, and emergency hole enlarger for monster pike! 

Offline Tailgunner

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #18 on: Dec 27, 2007, 02:19 PM »
During February school vacation of '05, Miss Audrey landed a few roofing shingles, while fishing the hump between Sleeper and Rattlesnake islands on Lake Winnipesaukee.  For some reason the cusk were hitting everything that afternoon, she was doing well and thought she had the fish of all fish on the line.  The laughter that ensued once the shingles were pulled through the hole is something I won't ever forget.  There is no better medicine than a kid's laughter and grin while sharing a day on the ice.................  

Offline Fish Farmer

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #19 on: Dec 27, 2007, 03:40 PM »
During open water on the same lake I caught the boot, trolling with my downrigger ball I snagged a ice fishing handline complete with two hooks, line and metal flasher.

Offline holmes76

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • from P.G. in B.C.
« Reply #20 on: Dec 27, 2007, 04:28 PM »
ive caught a couple rocks while jigging for char or burbot. set the hook on anything that feels different. they didnt fight much but i took them home anyways. :)

Offline fireplug

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #21 on: Dec 27, 2007, 05:06 PM »
While picking up our tip-ups last year to head home, felt a weight on the end, no trip of the flag, though. Brought in a nice, heavy mudpuppy!  Would have loved to have him during ice-out for pike, but they say there are no pike in this lake, so we just let him slide back to the bottom.

"Most men, regardless of cause or need, blink an eye or draw a breath before they pull the trigger. I won't."
John Wayne from "The Shootist"

Offline Mainehazmt

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #22 on: Dec 27, 2007, 05:15 PM »
I musta put my shack over a prior spot that was used   Son was jigging off the bottom of the lake  and pulled up a can of dog food  that was drilled with holes  and still had about half a can of food in it in it
I am a Veteran Not a Terrorist!

Offline northern fisher

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Dad and his littlest buddy
« Reply #23 on: Dec 27, 2007, 05:47 PM »
The best I can add to this is I spent one afternoon catching zebra mussels on Lake Simcoe.Never did find the jumbo perch ??? :P ???
There is nothing better than the smile on a childs face when they see the fish come up through the hole.

Offline jig-jig THUMP

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • IceFishinFool!
« Reply #24 on: Dec 27, 2007, 07:20 PM »
Weirdest thing I ever caught was a fish.  A 22" inch pickerel with a big ol' scar on his belly.  That's not the weird part.  The weird part was that I was the 3rd person in my gang of friends icefishing on that small creek that caught that pickerel that day.  That big of a pickerel on that small of a body of water and with a unique scar on his belly left no doubt that it was the same fish we caught 3 times that day.  He didn't fight that much when I caught him because he must have been pretty whipped from the previous 2 hookups.  Still ate 3 of our 3-4 inch bluegills that we were using for bait.

Happened in MD in the late 70's.

jjT

Happiness is watching the blip rise to the bait on my Vex!

Offline John_BZ

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #25 on: Dec 27, 2007, 10:58 PM »
one of my good buddies jigged up an "adult film" on a spoon in a wisconsin harbor. funniest part was it was a vhs tape from the early 80s.

Offline edfalc

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Hardwater Nut!
« Reply #26 on: Dec 27, 2007, 11:31 PM »
2 YEARS AGO a buddy and i were done drilling our holes and after setting my first tip-up depth , was pulling up my weight and felt somthing tugging at it so i pulled it up and BEHOLD.......a 22" Tiger Musky
Shut up and FISH

I Fish for Those who Can't

Offline MrMarty51

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #27 on: Dec 28, 2007, 12:00 AM »
I CAUGHT AN OTTER FIRST LAKE IN OLD FORGE NY THAT WAS PRETTY WEIRD
How do You get the hook out of a live otters mouth??LOL

"Every hour spent fishing is NOT taken from ones life"Quote from Grant Boyson

Offline jeffG

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #28 on: Dec 28, 2007, 12:41 AM »
A boneless pork chop that SLT had "baited" my line with while I was out back of the shack giving back some of my rented "shipyard".

Offline jabers69

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Hardwater Nut!
« Reply #29 on: Dec 28, 2007, 12:43 AM »
Ya I was wondering that to how do you take a hook out of a live otter
hook and cook

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.