Author Topic: Help finding a good noodle rod?  (Read 2538 times)

Offline Mrpike1973

• Team IceShanty Regular
Help finding a good noodle rod?
« on: Dec 12, 2018, 05:39 PM »
I have a UL tickle stick it's OK, Then I bought a St Croix glass panfish noodle rod pretty good, I have used ul HT ice blues rods I think there the best but no back bone. I can no longer find the HT rods in Wal mart any other ideas?
I fish sunnies and crappies 99.5 percent of the time I need to see the bite My only complaint is I do not like a big round handle I have very small hands and like to have my middle finger touching the rod blank if I can I put my hand as close to the rod blank as I can. The tickle stick is ok sensitive but I seem to miss fish more than with the ht or the St Croix. the most I will pay is 60 bucks I only have 4 rods total right now.

Offline Reinert

• Team IceShanty Regular
Re: Help finding a good noodle rod?
« Reply #1 on: Dec 12, 2018, 06:45 PM »
Ice  blues are on ebay and Amazon

Offline bigstorm

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #2 on: Dec 12, 2018, 06:56 PM »
If you can go a little higher, go for a DH Customs  Al Dente, maybe $75ish? great rod and on par with TUCR just without the recoil guides

Offline jwetovick

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #3 on: Dec 12, 2018, 07:08 PM »
If you can go a little higher, go for a DH Customs  Al Dente, maybe $75ish? great rod and on par with TUCR just without the recoil guides
[/quote
X2. Wait til u can save a few extra bucks and get a dh. If ur not picky on colors he pry has one on hand to ship. If ur stuck on colors you may have to wait weeks since it is his busy time. U don't need recoil guides.

Offline laer0302

• Team IceShanty Regular

Offline Royalwapiti

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #5 on: Dec 12, 2018, 07:16 PM »
I love the Beaver Dam Noodle, it's like $25, various lengths.
You can't get the fruit if you don't go out on the limb.

Offline slipperybob

• Team IceShantyholic
  • LX5 or die...maybe extra battery.
« Reply #6 on: Dec 12, 2018, 09:02 PM »
For more information read my MN nice journal

Offline jrjach75

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #7 on: Dec 12, 2018, 09:17 PM »
https://www.acmetackle.com/products/beaver-dam-23-glass-noodle-rod

Currently Beaver Dam Noodle is sold for $15

I was going to say, it's $12 here locally. I'm trying a dead meat stick, pretty stiff backbone but sensitive enough tip that I caught some 4" bluegills last weekend and don't think I missed any bites, it was $35 at fish USA.

I have a Vexan rod, the light jigging 24" rod that might have the handle you are looking for, it's also a power noodle type rod, lighter tip than the meat stick.

Offline 3300

• Team IceShantyholic
  • Michigan Moderator.Not affiliated with MarCum Tech
« Reply #8 on: Dec 12, 2018, 10:31 PM »
13 fishing snitch or wicked.

Offline Mrpike1973

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #9 on: Dec 13, 2018, 01:05 PM »
I got a snitch and a series one quick tip we will see the Series One seems like I dont feel the jig but until real water we will see sometimes it will surprise you.

Offline Jayice

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #10 on: Jan 02, 2019, 04:20 AM »
Wal-Mart still sales theam I just seen en in the one by selling for like 8 bucks and change

Offline Light liner

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Rather be judged by 12 then carried by 6.
« Reply #11 on: Jan 02, 2019, 10:51 AM »
Beaver dams are nice. But cant beat the blues for the price.
Champlain
Memphremagog

Offline Unclegillhunter

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Ice So Nice
« Reply #12 on: Jan 02, 2019, 11:03 AM »
I was going to say, it's $12 here locally. I'm trying a dead meat stick, pretty stiff backbone but sensitive enough tip that I caught some 4" bluegills last weekend and don't think I missed any bites, it was $35 at fish USA.

I have a Vexan rod, the light jigging 24" rod that might have the handle you are looking for, it's also a power noodle type rod, lighter tip than the meat stick.
Is that rod from that place in Lemars? And if so did you get it online? And if so how was the order process? Sorry kind of hijacked the thread.
Keep it safe! JDL

Offline kondan

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #13 on: Jan 02, 2019, 11:17 AM »
Best bite indicator rod I've use is the St. Croix Legend Silver. Great small handle with locking reel seat. After searching online it seems the Silver is now name Black but same rod.

Offline eriksat1

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • N.W. Wisconsin Goat
« Reply #14 on: Jan 02, 2019, 01:58 PM »
I don't think you are going to find a descent st croix rod for under $60

Offline Sylvanboat

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #15 on: Jan 02, 2019, 05:00 PM »
I have used the Hrdwater Custom rod described by laer0302 above. They are great rods.  I use a medium w light spring bobber.  I get great sensitivity for bites and all the backbone I need. The rod also works great for larger fish. I recommend their rods.

Offline slipperybob

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #16 on: Jan 02, 2019, 05:53 PM »
St. Croix ice rods are basically premium price tagged now that they are no longer using the Premiere line up.  The Premiere ice were some of the best value ice rods for performance for price $10-35.  Which got replaced by the Mojo Ice at $50-60.

While being solid carbon ice rods, they weren't true noodle rods in a sense that fiberglass type of rods were.  At current it's just the Avid Glass Ice noodle, but still for about $50-70.

Lots of other options from other companies.

Offline hnd

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #17 on: Jan 02, 2019, 06:25 PM »
Check out the clam genz series power noodle. I have 1 in my fleet along side 3 custom noodles and I must say I'm pretty impressed. Good sensitive tip decent backbone. Way better than the ticklestick IMO.

Offline hnd

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #18 on: Jan 02, 2019, 06:27 PM »
I also have a snitch and a Beaver dam. Good backbones but the tips aren't sensitive enough compared to my custom noodles.

Offline matzilla

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #19 on: Jan 03, 2019, 10:59 AM »
snitch is carbon - it'll never fish like a noodle but its a darn good rod, great crappie stick

Mrpike1973 - have you ever looked into making your own? Noodle rods are very cheap to build

Catchin' Fish

Offline slipperybob

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #20 on: Jan 03, 2019, 12:34 PM »
snitch is carbon - it'll never fish like a noodle but its a darn good rod, great crappie stick

Mrpike1973 - have you ever looked into making your own? Noodle rods are very cheap to build

Was the original snitch from back when it was No.8 the same carbon tip or was it composite?

The current description says flex core tip. 

Offline holehopper

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Me and Dave Genz
« Reply #21 on: Jan 03, 2019, 12:40 PM »

X2 on the al Dente. Fantastic sight rod.  Expensive but awesome.
Never Stop Never Stopping

Offline kondan

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #22 on: Jan 03, 2019, 03:16 PM »

Offline Mrpike1973

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #23 on: Jan 03, 2019, 03:46 PM »
I bought 2 tickle sticks I absolutely love them so far they have been great my wife loves them and wont even use another rod. I have 13 snitch which I think works a little better with heavier jigs but other than that not to impressed with it. I also bought 13 free falls what happened these work great I had 2 last year I returned they were so bad did they change something?

Offline matzilla

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #24 on: Jan 03, 2019, 04:31 PM »
Was the original snitch from back when it was No.8 the same carbon tip or was it composite?

The current description says flex core tip.

full carbon on the snitch - i had the no8 version, bought one when they first came out along with a junk cgi inline - the rod was much better than the first run pos reel

Catchin' Fish

Offline hnd

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #25 on: Jan 03, 2019, 05:25 PM »
yup. its not a glass rod.  as i said, its a good rod for spoons or even bigger jigs.  but smaller tungstens its hard to see.  you almost are better off closing your eyes and feeling it.  i almost consider it the perfect walleye noodle if that makes sense. 

Offline John_BZ

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #26 on: Jan 04, 2019, 06:13 AM »
Have one built. A  noodle rod with a cork grip and fly guides can be had for what you are asking. You will get exactly what you want. There are many custom builders in MN.

Offline jrjach75

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #27 on: Jan 04, 2019, 01:56 PM »
Is that rod from that place in Lemars? And if so did you get it online? And if so how was the order process? Sorry kind of hijacked the thread.
Keep it safe! JDL

The Vexan? Yes it was, they had them all on sale for $15 for a while. I bought direct from Vexan on their website, no problems. Pretty sure shipping was $8 but was priority mail and I had it two days after I ordered.

Offline Sylvanboat

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #28 on: Jan 04, 2019, 05:40 PM »
Maybe one of these will work for you?

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Hardwater-Customs-24-Power-Noodle-Ice-Rod/152910436589?hash=item239a2c18ed:g:eHcAAOSwQN5abl-p:rk:12:pf:0

I have used Hardwater Custom rods and they are nice.  I can't compare to TUCR or HT Rods as I have not used them.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.