Author Topic: Clam Ultimate Ice Backpack  (Read 4206 times)

Offline sawlie

• IceShanty Rookie
Clam Ultimate Ice Backpack
« on: Nov 26, 2018, 04:08 PM »
Anyone picked up one yet? Curious on how many rods you can fit in the rod holder along with the maximum rod length would fit...

http://stores.clamoutdoors.com/new-for-2018-2019/ultimate-ice-backpack.html

Offline Philip

• Team IceShanty Regular
Re: Clam Ultimate Ice Backpack
« Reply #1 on: Nov 26, 2018, 04:36 PM »
Interesting concept, that thing looks like a tank.

Surprised they didn't opt to make it out of a "Hard Shell" (i.e. North Face Base Camp material) to keep it fully waterproof/durable.
Team Comfy Skunks

Offline joedevera

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #2 on: Nov 26, 2018, 05:58 PM »
I have one I haven't taken out of the plastic yet. They say three rods, I will measure length when I get a chance

Offline Monticatgeek

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #3 on: Nov 27, 2018, 12:51 AM »
I have one and can say that in theory it is a good concept but once fully packed with gear (including a flasher) it gets heavy. also on some of the small one man houses there is no room for it inside the house (I run a Kenai stealth thermal). also the other negative thing I found with it is that the mounts that hold the rod case were put on in such a way that the rod case only points down. the issue with this is that the rod case needs to be removed from the back pack so it will sit flat. I would look at the picture in the link above and you will see how the rod case is pointing down. for some it might not be a big deal but for some it might be. just be aware of this. now if you leave the rod case off it then there is no issues other then being heavy once fully loaded. if I had to do it over I probably would not of bought it. it does have a hard rubber bottom and there is 4 included tackle trays. as for the number of rods the rod case would hold it is designed for one rod and reel but you might be able to get a second or third in there depending on the type of reel you use.
Fishing is not a hobby it is a way of life

Offline Monticatgeek

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #4 on: Nov 27, 2018, 01:00 AM »
I just took mine and weighed it. fully loaded it came in at 24 lbs. this is with the rod case removed.

Offline sawlie

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #5 on: Nov 27, 2018, 02:34 AM »
Thanks for the response. Still 50/50 on it.

Offline E Z turn

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #6 on: Nov 27, 2018, 06:42 AM »
I have had one for over forty years its called a packsack.
Oops! is too late.

Offline Huntindave

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #7 on: Nov 27, 2018, 06:51 AM »
also the other negative thing I found with it is that the mounts that hold the rod case were put on in such a way that the rod case only points down. the issue with this is that the rod case needs to be removed from the back pack so it will sit flat. I would look at the picture in the link above and you will see how the rod case is pointing down.

Clam may have changed that feature.  When watching the video, it shows the rod case in both positions, (a) with the tip of the rod case upward (b) with the tip of the rod case pointing down.  Clearly the rod case in the video can be secured in either position.
take care,
Dave  :>)

Offline Unclegillhunter

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Ice So Nice
« Reply #8 on: Nov 27, 2018, 11:47 AM »
I have had one for over forty years its called a packsack.
lol I had mine for 47 yrs back in the day it was top of the line, got it from REI at the original store.
Keep it safe! JDL

Offline Monticatgeek

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #9 on: Nov 27, 2018, 12:24 PM »
Clam may have changed that feature.  When watching the video, it shows the rod case in both positions, (a) with the tip of the rod case upward (b) with the tip of the rod case pointing down.  Clearly the rod case in the video can be secured in either position.

it was a production mistake that was not caught in time to correct it. as for the video that was made with the prototype pack that used a strap set up to hold it to the pack and not the final pack that was sent to retailers which just has three small sewn in connection points so I guess it was a feature change but it didn't get sewn correctly so now the rod case only points down. I was the one that caught the mistake on the production run when I stopped in to pick up mine and brought it to the attention of the people at Clam that needed to know about it. I staff for them and seen both the prototype and the final production model there is a slight difference between them. it is not a big deal if you just leave the rod case off the pack. the pack it self is still good but just heavy once fully loaded.

Offline Whytie

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #10 on: Nov 27, 2018, 02:04 PM »
I've used the Cabelas angler pack. My LX-7 doesn't fit inside but it can be strapped to the back with the buckles. It's also 900 Denier vs the 600 Denier for double the price
https://www.cabelas.com/product/CABELAS-ADVANCED-ANGLER-BACKPACK/2398196.uts

Offline Huntindave

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #11 on: Nov 27, 2018, 02:23 PM »
it was a production mistake that was not caught in time to correct it. as for the video that was made with the prototype pack that used a strap set up to hold it to the pack and not the final pack that was sent to retailers which just has three small sewn in connection points so I guess it was a feature change but it didn't get sewn correctly so now the rod case only points down. I was the one that caught the mistake on the production run when I stopped in to pick up mine and brought it to the attention of the people at Clam that needed to know about it. I staff for them and seen both the prototype and the final production model there is a slight difference between them. it is not a big deal if you just leave the rod case off the pack. the pack it self is still good but just heavy once fully loaded.

Sounds like Clam should either correct the video or correct the production error.  Not caught in time to correct?  No time like the present.  I wonder how many dissatified consumers the video is generating?  I know I'd be unhappy having the rod tip pointing downward.  I just would not feel comortable with it that way. The heaviest end (with the reel) would be up,  making the case top heavy. 
take care,
Dave  :>)

Offline Monticatgeek

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #12 on: Nov 27, 2018, 03:16 PM »
Sounds like Clam should either correct the video or correct the production error.  Not caught in time to correct?  No time like the present.  I wonder how many dissatified consumers the video is generating?  I know I'd be unhappy having the rod tip pointing downward.  I just would not feel comortable with it that way. The heaviest end (with the reel) would be up,  making the case top heavy.

yes they should of been put on hold and re done before the release of them and I told them that but they didn't listen. trust me I wasn't happy when I went to pick mine up and seen that but will still use the backpack without the rod case hooked to it.

Offline Lukaszu

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #13 on: Nov 27, 2018, 03:46 PM »
My opinion on anything clam... It's shet,
They don't even make anything anymore, they just stamp their name on useless junk that u can buy on eBay or wish for 1/3 price.

Offline Whopper Stopper

• Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #14 on: Nov 27, 2018, 04:06 PM »
lol I had mine for 47 yrs back in the day it was top of the line, got it from REI at the original store.
Keep it safe! JDL

Everything old is new again :whistle:

WS

Offline holehopper

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Me and Dave Genz
« Reply #15 on: Nov 27, 2018, 06:04 PM »
I lifted one up in a store and it is heavy empty.  I prefer using a bucket with backpack straps on it.  Carries your stuff out and gives you something to sit on when you get there. 
Never Stop Never Stopping

Offline jiignut

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #16 on: Dec 13, 2018, 07:03 PM »
Hey holehopper, exactly what I was going to say as I was scrolling down reading.
It’s dumb if you can’t sit on it like a bucket pack. You can’t even sit on an Adirondack pack basket without crushing it. Unfortunate.

Offline McJubJub

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #17 on: Dec 28, 2018, 01:17 PM »
As mentioned previously, the design is clearly not what is advertised in the promotional video.  The model I received is only capable of mounting the rod tube with the rod tip facing down, which is the exact opposite of what is shown in the video.  This makes it virtually impossible to set the pack on it’s hard bottom on the ice, since the rod tips are protruding 6” below the bottom of the bag.

The second reason I'm getting rid of the pack is that despite being listed as 32”x16”x9” the bottom tackle storage area is not big enough to fit even one CLAM Deluxe Large Spoon box.  I’m puzzled as to why a product would be released that will not accommodate their premium tackle storage solution.  I currently, and will continue to keep 3 Large spoon boxes (and then some) in my Striker Transporter bag.  It’s shocking that I can’t do the same with the CLAM product.

In theory, this backpack was a product I could not wait to buy in order to transport my rods and flasher, but the obvious design flaws render it something I simply cannot use.  CLAM has been producing garbage for years now.  This is the final straw for me.  I don't care what they come out with, I'm just going to assume that it'll be a half-assed product at best.

Offline Drewski121

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • oh yeah
« Reply #18 on: Dec 28, 2018, 02:44 PM »
I still use my pack basket ice fishing and trapping,lightweight , Clam equipment and products are garbage,so is there customer service.just my 2 cents....DD ;D ;D ;D...

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.