Author Topic: New pike rod, finally!  (Read 1172 times)

Offline Raptortrapper

• Team IceShanty Addict
New pike rod, finally!
« on: Nov 08, 2018, 07:49 PM »
I FINALLY found an original series Fenwick Elite Tech Ice rod in MH to complete my collection.  You know, the brown blanks, dark cork handles...  I love those rods.  Some guys can't stand them, but hey, to each their own.  I've been looking for years for that 28" Medium Heavy, and finally found it the other day on eBay of all places!  Got it in the mail today, and it looks like brand new.  It was a "dealer demo", and looks like brand new.  Nothing wrong with the cork, eyelets, or blank that I can find.  I can't wait to get it on the ice.

I am wondering what reels you guys use for Pike / Lakers.  I've only caught pike on tip-ups, and never have caught a laker.  But now that I have this rod, those will be my target species till I get one or the other on this rod.  I like the Shimano Metanium reel I traded some light electrical work for this last summer, but it's a baitcast, and I need a spinning reel for this rod.  Thought I'd try Shimano again since I like the Metanium so well.  Something with a dang good drag, and maybe in the 2000 series, unless there is reason to go to the 2500 size???

Thanks
The next time you think you know it all, try telling someone else's dog what to do.

Offline slipperybob

• Team IceShantyholic
  • LX5 or die...maybe extra battery.
Re: New pike rod, finally!
« Reply #1 on: Nov 09, 2018, 02:05 AM »
There's really not a 2000 series as of current models.  It's a 2500 which is a slightly shallower spool of the 3000.  It's usually a different handle on the reel.

The first series of the Elite tech ice are a beefy design.

I had used my Ugly Stick medium ice rod for sometime then got a Jason Mitchel 38" Ice rod special. 

I'm more of a bait casting reel user now as compared to when I first started.  My rods were St Croix Premier ice bait casting set-up.  I've gotten the Mojo ice bait casting set-up as well.  Originally I had Shimano Citica 200E with 50# braid lines. 

For more information read my MN nice journal

Offline Sandcountrylivin

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #2 on: Nov 09, 2018, 05:21 AM »
This is my favorite rod in my arsenal! The lighter actions were not very fast but the medium heavy was stiff enough to be a great jigging rod. I use it for walleye and would consider it a bit underpowered for a big laker or pike but admittedly haven't jigged for either yet.

Offline hookset81

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #3 on: Nov 09, 2018, 08:10 AM »
I would take a look at the Pfluegger President, I use them open water and on my laker and greenback rods with great success.  We'll see what the sale of Pure Fishing does to them, but they are probably the best reel for the money.

Offline fishnhawk

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #4 on: Nov 09, 2018, 10:59 AM »
X2 on the president reels. I have a couple President XT and love them for their drag, weight and cork handles.
[img]http://www.iowaoutdoors.org/albums/oldbear/team_iowa_logo5.thumb[im_]

Offline Raptortrapper

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #5 on: Nov 09, 2018, 04:21 PM »
Good enough!  I'll find a Pflueger President and give them a shot.  Is the 2500 series big enough for Pike?  I'll be using braid as a main line, so that should help on line capacity. 

Thanks for the help.
The next time you think you know it all, try telling someone else's dog what to do.

Offline Raptortrapper

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #6 on: Dec 12, 2018, 02:48 PM »
SCOOOOOORE!!!!!! Caught a Pike on the first day of my ice season with my new MH Elite Tech!!  I couldn't have been happier!!!  Put a size 30 Pflueger President on it, and it did great.  Wasn't a big one, but might as well have been 60+" for all I care!  My buddy caught a larger one which we released, and we got a nice mess of perch.

What a riot!!

Offline Tjtroutslayer89

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Team ConnectScale
« Reply #7 on: Dec 12, 2018, 02:54 PM »
Nice! I've been wanting to get a pike rod myself so this info helps. I like fenwick also so screw the haters.

Offline Raptortrapper

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #8 on: Dec 12, 2018, 02:59 PM »
I like fenwick also so screw the haters.

Man, if ya want it, BUY IT!!  Don't try to make others happy by the rod ya fish with!  I love every one of my Elite Tech rods.  I've tried others, and they just don't fit my liking.  All of my rods are the original series.  The new green ones have a different flex to them, I think, but I've not tried them.  These rods certainly seem to be a "love em or hate em" type of rod.  Can't find anyone that says, "Ah, it's okay I guess".  The pike I caught was only about 24" or so, but the rod handled it with ease, and has plenty more to give.  Hopefully latch in to a 35+" one sometime and see what it can do. 

If ya want a Fenwick, GO FOR IT!!!

Offline slipperybob

• Team IceShantyholic
  • LX5 or die...maybe extra battery.
« Reply #9 on: Dec 12, 2018, 04:22 PM »
Good enough!  I'll find a Pflueger President and give them a shot.  Is the 2500 series big enough for Pike?  I'll be using braid as a main line, so that should help on line capacity. 

Thanks for the help.

Yes, the 2500 series is big enough.  It is currently same size as 3000 series.  The 3000 are considered a deep spool and with a larger handle grips, so one gets some more line capacity and more torque on the handle crank.

These size are about equivalent to a Pflueger in 30 size.

For more information read my MN nice journal

Offline Old Goat

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #10 on: Dec 12, 2018, 05:48 PM »
Go Raptor trapper that was fast

Offline Raptortrapper

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #11 on: Dec 12, 2018, 06:02 PM »
Go Raptor trapper that was fast
HAHA!! Yeah I didn't think it would happen that quick!  Everything I wanted to try has already come together.  Well, almost everything.  I got my crimping materials in the mail today, and made up some leaders.  Used .8mm copper crimps, 65# Seaguar fluorocarbon, #45 AFW Bleeding Wire, and a 5/0 red octopus hook.  Also made some up using #10 treble, and then one with a huge 2/0 Owner treble for a buddy that likes those. 

We will be putting them to the test later this week.  As of right now, crimping is the way to go for me!  Very streamlined.  I did a pull test and pulled a LOT harder  than what my drag is set at.  Couldn't get them to separate, so I think they will do fine.

Offline Bigassbassman

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • New home, MA-->CO
« Reply #12 on: Dec 12, 2018, 06:25 PM »
Nice job!  Glad to see the new rod setup works well for pike.  Looking forward to hearing how the crimps perform, too.
Flags up, gentlemen!!!

Offline Raptortrapper

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #13 on: Dec 12, 2018, 06:30 PM »
Nice job!  Glad to see the new rod setup works well for pike.  Looking forward to hearing how the crimps perform, too.
Thanks!  I will pull up the other thread I started when I get to actually use the crimped leaders.  I really like these things so far though!

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.