Author Topic: Hillsound Trail Crampon Pro  (Read 2931 times)

Offline slipperybob

• Team IceShantyholic
  • LX5 or die...maybe extra battery.
Hillsound Trail Crampon Pro
« on: Dec 08, 2017, 03:30 AM »
Prelimnary review: Hillsound Trail Crampon Pro size XL

I have been looking for a crampon to fit onto my Lacrosse Extreme PFT boots size 10.  It seems like it's not going to happen.  I finally ordered the Hillsound Trail Crampon Pro in the XL size.  While the longer extension bar will fit the boot with exterior length of about 14 inches and 5.25" at the width, the standard strap length was too short.  How disappointing this is.  One would think that if the intention was to for larger sized footwear, it would make sense to have longer straps to accommodate that.  So I will have to downsize my footwear to something of less insulation.  I went with the Irish Setter Snow Claw boot size 11 with exterior length of about 13 inches and 5 inches at the width.  I was able to just get the straps to connect.  According to the E-tailer, the XL size should fit up to a size 15 footwear. 

The design of the front forward spikes are smaller, as since it's not a climbing crampon.  This was the biggest sell point to me.  The extension bar is not a flex type.  I don't plan on doing any running with this anyway.

There's a lot of empty space in middle of boot.  These crampon may actually be designed to fit smaller footwear on regular size instead of the XL size with merely the extension bar.  On the bottom towards the rear spikes is a hex socket screw to lock the extension bar in place.  Due to the size of my boot, its pretty much at the maximum extension so I don't believe I need to lock it down but I did so.  The antibott plates are a bit small.  I don't really see it doing a good job of keeping snow off the bottom.  Having it is better than not having anything.

With the design of the straps with ratcheting lever and quick release.  It appears very efficient.  I had however noticed that being on the side and inside of the foot, there may be a chance of rubbing and accidentally tripping the quick release.  The crampons include a lock to prevent slipping of the straps.  However being a boot in 13 inches of length, there isn't any strap material to attach the locks.

Boot with crampon shows the length of straps.

Show how the locks are just the little red piece that can be attached to the end of the straps.

Obviously there's no excess end of straps to attach the locks.  My straps end barely gets past the ratchet.  There's no way to attach the locks.

I was not paying attention and I had ordered the older style, not the new 2017 model.

Looking forward to actual field testing...

For more information read my MN nice journal

Offline slipperybob

• Team IceShantyholic
Hillsound Trail Crampon Ultra
« Reply #1 on: Dec 15, 2017, 06:20 PM »
Preliminary review: Hillsound Trail Crampon Ultra XL

Finally these came in the mail and I had to try to put them on my Lacrosse Extreme PFT boots size 10.  It was a very tight fit.  It took me over 15 minutes to squeeze the pair on.  Hillsound did put up a size chart and the XL should fit pack boots sized 11-13.  With the amount of struggle I had with my size 10, anything bigger may struggle even more.  I did try this on my smaller physical dimension footwear Irish Setter Snow Claw boot size 11 and the fit was perfect.  With the amount of time to put them on and the difficulty of it, there's no way these ice cleats will help in time efficiency.  The cross strap helps to ensure the fit remains secure.

It seems the design intent was originally for trail running shoes or fitness hiking shoes.  It is lightweight.  Comes with a carry bag as well.  The spikes are rather rounded.  They do appear to be undersized in location for a wide pack boot type of footwear. 

Looking forward to field test...

Offline Gills-only

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • When hell freezes over, I'll ice fish there too!!
Re: Hillsound Trail Crampon Pro
« Reply #2 on: Dec 15, 2017, 06:44 PM »
They are also marked right and left

Offline slipperybob

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #3 on: Dec 15, 2017, 07:56 PM »
They are also marked right and left

Strange, I didn't see the label.

Offline Gills-only

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #4 on: Dec 15, 2017, 08:12 PM »
The “claws” are angled different on each one

Offline SpoonieLuv

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #5 on: Dec 16, 2017, 09:46 AM »
I love the Hillsound, I wear my XLs on Lacrosse AeroHead 7mm rubber boots and they take about 2 min to put on, if that. Sounds like you might need a larger pair?? They should go on alot faster than 15 min.

Offline slipperybob

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #6 on: Dec 16, 2017, 03:06 PM »
The “claws” are angled different on each one

The Pro's are angled/curved.

The Ultra's are exactly identical, except which side the cross velcro strap starts.

I love the Hillsound, I wear my XLs on Lacrosse AeroHead 7mm rubber boots and they take about 2 min to put on, if that. Sounds like you might need a larger pair?? They should go on alot faster than 15 min.

I have XL's, that's the biggest size it comes in.

Offline Gills-only

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #7 on: Dec 16, 2017, 03:09 PM »
Ok I have the pro, hope I get to try them shortly !!

Offline slipperybob

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #8 on: Dec 17, 2017, 03:24 AM »
Ok I have the pro, hope I get to try them shortly !!

Awesome.

Offline slipperybob

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #9 on: Dec 25, 2017, 10:39 PM »
Field Test run

Temperature was -2 F to 0 F.  Hard packed snow and some glare ice, some uneven surface from traffic and hole drilling.  Then there's the down hill arrival and uphill departure.  With boots alone, I have struggled with this and the slope makes it difficult to traverse.

The Hillsound Trail Crampons Pro performed as expected.  Solid stable footing on the arrival and descent of the slope.  On glare ice, okay.  Better than my HT ice screws cleats and almost as good as my Grivel G10 crampons.  On hard snow and soft ice excellent, even on uneven surface from traffic and ice holes.  I pulled my sled uphill and it did well, not a hint of traction lost.  The ease of putting it on was faster then any other crampons or cleats I've used.  I did required to use my bare hands due to the lack of length of the straps. The removal of the crampons were so fast, pull two release clips and off.  Because the spikes are not as sharp as my Grivel G10 crampons, I can confidently handle them without the concern of getting poked.

Offline slipperybob

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #10 on: Jul 23, 2018, 03:43 PM »
I sort of forgot to update this at the end of the season use.  I only did rather light use, about three times only.  I will say that due to the fact that I could not put the straps lock on, it was easy to trigger the quick release lever and unsnap the straps if you accidentally rub the side of your foot while walking/maneuvering around.  I had this happen a few times while pulling the sled and deciding to change directions and the occasional tow rope getting caught around foot.  This would be very bad while you're hiking up a hill while pulling your sled only to have the entire strap fail on you.  I am no means a big guy, average at least, size 10 foot.

Aside from that, it did well enough with slushy snow freezing onto it.  Easy enough to tap out the frozen slush.  No slipping on bare ice.  The anti-balling plates are only functional on light snow.  Still better than nothing.

I still require bare hands to strap the crampon on, but I can easily remove them with gloves on.

My only true wish is that they would've have longer straps on the XL version instead of using their standard straps.  I just seems from an R&D point was never actually field tested.  Looking forward to more future use.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.