Author Topic: Augers  (Read 3559 times)

Offline gooner

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • stay warm, safe and tight lines
Augers
« on: Dec 11, 2020, 06:11 PM »
What is everyone here running for augers? Last year I bought a strikemaster 40V 10" and absolutely love it!!!
Tight lines and big fish

Offline nocatchmcgee

• IceShanty Rookie
Re: Augers
« Reply #1 on: Dec 11, 2020, 06:25 PM »
I just got the new jiffy modle 30 pro dual carb and a direct prime for cold starts so far so good it has more torque and dosnt bog like the last models iv had 3inbetween. tecumseh shut down 2008 2009 anything after that will not have the better motors I will give a report on this new modle when I see 2 ft of hard ice and bitter cold

Offline sureshot242

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #2 on: Dec 12, 2020, 03:58 AM »
What is everyone here running for augers? Last year I bought a strikemaster 40V 10" and absolutely love it!!!

I just about bought that auger the other day but cheaped out and bought the stingray for $329.

Offline Walks on Water

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #3 on: Dec 12, 2020, 10:43 AM »
  I don't know if you have ever tried to get a 16in + speck through a 4 in hole, but its not fun!  I really prefer a 4in hole for gills because it helps keep the light from getting down the hole easier.

Not sure how far you have to go from Alberta to find any of those fish, but it's a good distance. ;)

Offline Ice in my drink

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #4 on: Dec 14, 2020, 10:51 AM »
My Jiffy pretty much stays at home since I went to electric. Milwaukee mud mixer paired with the Kdrill is too light to ignore. I drill double holes for pike, but rarely anything else. Usually only drill the holes in the tent after heater gets going. New homemade wood stove to try this year as well.

Offline RussC

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #5 on: Dec 14, 2020, 11:42 AM »
Ion 8” for the last 4 years. Works really well and still on the original battery

Offline gooner

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #6 on: Dec 14, 2020, 05:51 PM »
My Jiffy pretty much stays at home since I went to electric. Milwaukee mud mixer paired with the Kdrill is too light to ignore. I drill double holes for pike, but rarely anything else. Usually only drill the holes in the tent after heater gets going. New homemade wood stove to try this year as well.

Let me know how the homemade wood stove works out? Are you using it hard wall shack or a hub shack. Thinking of putting one in my hub for really cold days
Tight lines and big fish

Offline Ice in my drink

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #7 on: Dec 14, 2020, 08:34 PM »

Stove will be for my Otter Lodge hub. Will do some overnighters this year for the first time. Pic posting, Arrrrrrrhhhhhhhhh!!!!!!

Offline Ice in my drink

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #8 on: Dec 14, 2020, 08:40 PM »

Old air compressor tank has new purpose

Offline gooner

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #9 on: Dec 15, 2020, 06:49 PM »
Very nice ice in my drink. I am hopping to get out and do a couple night fishes. Will definitely be easier when I finally build my wheelhouse
Tight lines and big fish

Offline ran7ger

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #10 on: Dec 15, 2020, 07:54 PM »
dang that stove is a beauty.   nice work!

Offline calgary-john

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #11 on: Dec 18, 2020, 03:41 AM »
I have been thinking about getting that Strikemaster 40v this year.

Offline gooner

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #12 on: Dec 21, 2020, 01:09 PM »
I have been thinking about getting that Strikemaster 40v this year.

I absolutely love mine, and everyone that tries mine absolutely loves it as well. Thats including all the die hard ION guys. You won't be disappointed, mine is the 10" model and it is out cutting every auger out there that it has been put against, including gas augers
Tight lines and big fish

Offline WALL E GATOR

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #13 on: Dec 21, 2020, 02:54 PM »
k-drill and a Milwaukee M18 Hammer drill.... works for me
FISH ON! and Tight Lines

Offline 800stealth

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #14 on: Dec 21, 2020, 03:07 PM »

Old air compressor tank has new purpose

Great idea, and great fab work... Really nice.

To the op's question, I run a Milwaukee and 8" Nero... Probably weak sauce for the ice you boys are getting up there though...
"May your lines be tight and never be tangled" (old Frankish Proverb)  Guinea 2021

Offline Walks on Water

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #15 on: Dec 26, 2020, 12:13 PM »
Finally upgraded my 8" dinosaur from the 90's with a Strikemaster 10" 40V after using Snappy's a few times and seeing how well it's held up for a few years. The extra battery likely won't see a lot of use, but for those multi-day trips it will make for peace of mind.

So happy about not having to bring that stinky little gas can everywhere anymore.

Offline calgary-john

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #16 on: Dec 26, 2020, 08:26 PM »

I absolutely love mine, and everyone that tries mine absolutely loves it as well. Thats including all the die hard ION guys. You won't be disappointed, mine is the 10" model and it is out cutting every auger out there that it has been put against, including gas augers

I bought Knipex tools instead lol still have the gas auger just it’s 7 hours away

Offline mapleleafman3

• IceShanty Rookie
  • This fog's as thick as peanut butter!
« Reply #17 on: Dec 29, 2020, 09:46 AM »
I run a Eskimo Shark 10in.  Works great. Never had any trouble with it. 
Didn't I ever tell you about Bumbles? Bumbles *bounce*!

Offline gooner

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #18 on: Dec 30, 2020, 10:53 PM »
I run a Eskimo Shark 10in.  Works great. Never had any trouble with it.

I have the same one for my gas auger but it is crapping out. I have had it for 13 years and it just doesn't have the compression that it used too. It also bogs out when cutting thats why I got the strikemaster 40v
Tight lines and big fish

Offline curtis_rak

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #19 on: Jan 07, 2021, 12:43 PM »
I posted in the auger review thread before I scrolled and seen this one...   here is a copy paste of my auger review...

I will play as well... i can give a 5yr review of the 8", 43cc Rapala Nitro...

Bought on sale at Canadian Tire 5 years ago after doing some research and finding out its the exact same auger as the "Woods" 43cc. The Rapala was $40 cheaper so I grabbed it.

I dont know how many holes I've drilled but I ice fish at least 1 day per week every winter and I am still on the original blade (I am also very diligent in making sure its always got a cover on it when I'm not drilling). I have had a Jiffy 12" extension on it since the day I bought it and the auger rips holes really fast. It destroys all of the 33cc augers my buddies have (eskimos and strikemasters)- in fact its embarrassing how much better this auger is than theirs.

I haven't had any maintenance issues and I run 50:1 pre-mix in it.

As an added bonus - this summer I bought an 8" earthworks auger for it to drill post holes and my god it worked great. The Rapala/Woods/Eskimo spin the opposite way of the Jiffy which allows you to buy earth auger bits for them. Added bonus.

I dont think this exact auger is made anymore but like I said the 43cc Woods at Cdn Tire is exactly the same and they still carry it.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.