Author Topic: smeltin waters  (Read 1161 times)

Offline onehook

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Shack Trout
smeltin waters
« on: Dec 11, 2007, 10:28 PM »
Drove down to the squamscott river down by river rd/rt. 101 bridge, found a good 2inches of ice wont be lond til the smelt shacks are out. :o, has anyone checked the progress of great bay latley?

Offline doabbs

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Mmmm smelt...
Re: smeltin waters
« Reply #1 on: Dec 12, 2007, 11:50 AM »
I went out and checked the ice over by Lenny's last Thursday.  Pics in this thread:
http://www.iceshanty.com/ice_fishing/index.php?topic=61404.0

I spoke with a friend who went Kyaking this weekend in Great Bay and said that it looked like some of the ice had broken up and been sucked out, but haven't confirmed.

Offline cSpike

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #2 on: Dec 12, 2007, 04:59 PM »
Rain is a killer for the rivers. However snow doesn't hurt as bad as it does the lakes. the snow gets wet and freezes making more ice on the river, snow ice but ice!. As long as there is a base of ice for the snow to sit on. Rising tides floods the surface of the ice thru the stress cracks wetting the snow creating ice. That is why in the middle of the season when you walk thru snow to go smelting there is usually just ice on the ice without snow. The snow gets converted to snow ice.
I usually go smelting more if access to the lakes is a pain because of deep snow. Hasn't been a problem for a while but this year could be shaping up to be a tough get around without a snow machine if this pattern keeps up. I heard up to 24" for Sat night-Sunday.
I'm hating shoveling already.

Spike
Traps? Who needs traps? I have a jig rod and a Vexilar!
gallery

Offline onehook

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Shack Trout
« Reply #3 on: Dec 12, 2007, 06:18 PM »
Im with ya spike I have to plow my grandparents driveway that is 423 feet long and then another 75 feet of walkway, hope snow aviods rockingham county. >:(

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.