Author Topic: Annual Ice Fishing Trip  (Read 819 times)

Offline ericinsc

• IceShanty Rookie
Annual Ice Fishing Trip
« on: Jan 12, 2024, 06:11 PM »
I'm from SC, been ice fishing in NH for the past 15 years.   I'm heading up to the Winnipesaukee Area for our annual ice fishing trip in two weeks and I'm wondering if there's gonna be any fishable ice in the area.  I know Winnie is likely out since it's pretty large and pretty deep so it's gonna take more than 2 weeks of good ice-making weather, which it looks like you're gonna have, to get her safe enough to fish but the other lakes or ponds in the area that are much smaller and shallower, some of those should be good, right? I'm willing to head north if it's not looking good. Any suggestions?

Offline bassin212

• Team IceShanty Maniac
Re: Annual Ice Fishing Trip
« Reply #1 on: Jan 12, 2024, 06:18 PM »
A lot can change from now to 2 weeks, especially with the weather we’ve been having. I’d say the odds of something small and shallow being locked up is pretty decent in the lakes region. What species are you after? Where in the lakes region are you staying?
Tight Lines!

Offline Guinea

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #2 on: Jan 12, 2024, 06:28 PM »
The weather up here has been terrible for ice making this year. There's really no telling what will be going on in a couple of weeks.

I'm a bit north of Winni and I'm expecting temps in the 40's and rain tomorrow. Further north is slated for a bit of snow, so the little ice up there might be junk. Keep an eye on our forecast and hopefully some of those small shallow places around Meredith will be good.

With the lack of good ice, nobody is going to name any particular place online, so I would suggest you bump this thread when it gets closer, and get a feel for where you might be able to fish.
Thinkin 'bout cusk on the grill......

Offline ericinsc

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #3 on: Jan 12, 2024, 06:40 PM »
We're staying in a cabin on Winnie in the Wolfeboro area.  We've fished other lakes in the area, obviously, Winnie is the draw but we're up for anything.  It's a reason for us to get together, fishing is the bonus.  As far as species, we're catch and release mostly, unless we catch a ton of perch, so it doesn't matter too much to us.  Rainbows, Lakers, Smallies, Perch, anything really.  I'm equipped with a float suit, I'm just looking to test it out.  ;

A lot can change from now to 2 weeks, especially with the weather we’ve been having. I’d say the odds of something small and shallow being locked up is pretty decent in the lakes region. What species are you after? Where in the lakes region are you staying?

Offline bassin212

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #4 on: Jan 12, 2024, 06:43 PM »
Also, not trying to be that guy. But your profile shows you joined in 2013 and your first two posts are in this thread. People might be a little less likely to to give you great info since you haven’t contributed much on the site. Even your trip recaps after each year would go a long way! Be sure to let us know how you do after your trip
Tight Lines!

Offline PoolGuy

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Hello my name is Bill and I'm an ice fisherman !!
« Reply #5 on: Jan 12, 2024, 07:08 PM »
I was just north of Winni today, Found ice but it was very soft around the edges and sketchy.   Couldn’t even walk out with out falling thru…..
I just want to go ice fishing and ignore my adult problems

Offline ericinsc

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #6 on: Jan 13, 2024, 04:36 PM »
Also, not trying to be that guy. But your profile shows you joined in 2013 and your first two posts are in this thread. People might be a little less likely to give you great info since you haven’t contributed much on the site. Even your trip recaps after each year would go a long way! Be sure to let us know how you do after your trip

I get it. Thanks for the perspective and advice. I'm just not that active since I'm from SC so I'm not that hardcore ice fishing like you guys but put me on a boat or in a river...  :)  As far as it goes, I talked to a few guys up that way and it looks like we're going to go change our plans and head up close to the Canadian border up around Pittsburg, we know there's ice there, a buddy just caught a bunch of Rainbows up that way. I'll let you know how we do.  I'm sure of one thing, we're gonna have a fun weekend.

Stay safe and Tight lines

Offline HuntnFish603

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • If I can hunt it, or fish it....I'M THERE!
« Reply #7 on: Jan 13, 2024, 05:46 PM »
I was just north of Winni today, Found ice but it was very soft around the edges and sketchy.   Couldn’t even walk out with out falling thru…..
Yea it's crazy the difference this year from one body of water to the next. I was north of Winni as well fishing on 4" . But the next pond over was junk.
- In every walk with nature, every hunt, every fishing trip....one receives far more than he seeks.

Offline bassin212

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #8 on: Jan 13, 2024, 07:58 PM »
I get it. Thanks for the perspective and advice. I'm just not that active since I'm from SC so I'm not that hardcore ice fishing like you guys but put me on a boat or in a river...  :)  As far as it goes, I talked to a few guys up that way and it looks like we're going to go change our plans and head up close to the Canadian border up around Pittsburg, we know there's ice there, a buddy just caught a bunch of Rainbows up that way. I'll let you know how we do.  I'm sure of one thing, we're gonna have a fun weekend.

Stay safe and Tight lines

That sounds like a much better plan and lots of different species within the lakes up there too. Next ten days look good for ice making too so Pittsburg seems like a great option.
Tight Lines!

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.