Author Topic: Good Start to the Season  (Read 1011 times)

Offline bassin212

• Team IceShanty Maniac
Good Start to the Season
« on: Jan 06, 2024, 03:51 PM »
I figured I’d contribute some pictures of my outings while we wait for some better ice and more fishing options.

I’ve made two trips out so far this season. Both trips were on a limited amount of ice, but ice I feel comfortable on. Float suit stays on, ice picks stay around my neck, I don’t fish alone, and I’m only 5’5 170lbs  ;D

First trip had about 3.5-4 inches of white ice close to shore where snow had stayed on top of the ice. The black ice was only about 1.5-2 inches thick so we stayed off of it. We could only get to about 8 fow so I set up my jawjackers hoping I could get lucky with a nice bow or brookie. To my surprise I got a very nice laker

Second trip was today. I found 2.5 inches of black ice and tried out a new lake to me. My twin and I (no joke) each got lucky with a Brown and a Brookie. I fished for about 7 hours, we got 4 flags and landed 2 of them. The joke of the day was that I brought 4 rods to set up in my jaw jackers, but forgot the jaw jackers….. that sucked!

As always, check your own ice and get a first hand look, not a second hand report. Fish on ice you feel comfortable with and not just because you see others out. Spud everywhere! Don’t assume the whole area is good. I have huge respect to the two larger guys I saw today who asked how much ice there was and turned around and said that’s not good for them. They could have easily just walked on and assumed all was good because I was fishing.
Tight Lines!

Offline touge30

• Team IceShanty Regular
Re: Good Start to the Season
« Reply #1 on: Jan 06, 2024, 04:24 PM »
nice looking brookie

Offline jibbs

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • C:\Documents and Settings\jgirard\My Documents\My
« Reply #2 on: Jan 06, 2024, 04:30 PM »
Awesome ..stay safe ..ice is sketch
when chuck norris played golf for money, chuck marked down a hole in zero every time, the golf pro said, "chuck: you can't score zero on a hole." Chuck norris turned towards the man and said, "I'm chuck norris, the man proceeded to pour gas over his body and set himself on fire because that would be less painful than getting roundhouse kicked by chuck norris....chuck norris roundhouse kicked him in the face anyways

Offline PoolGuy

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Hello my name is Bill and I'm an ice fisherman !!
« Reply #3 on: Jan 06, 2024, 05:17 PM »
Well done… :tipup:
I just want to go ice fishing and ignore my adult problems

Offline Fishin_603

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #4 on: Jan 06, 2024, 05:26 PM »
Nice outing! Looks like a nice laker. We’re you using live bait or eggs?

Offline bassin212

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #5 on: Jan 06, 2024, 05:37 PM »
Live bait
Tight Lines!

Offline HuntnFish603

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • If I can hunt it, or fish it....I'M THERE!
« Reply #6 on: Jan 06, 2024, 06:29 PM »
Sounds like a great day.
Yea you def gotta check as you go but like you found, there is fishable ice depending on your comfort level. Beautiful day out there today it was.
Hopefully what we got stays.
- In every walk with nature, every hunt, every fishing trip....one receives far more than he seeks.

Offline 800stealth

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #7 on: Jan 07, 2024, 07:31 AM »
Great report bassin, sounds like a great day
"May your lines be tight and never be tangled" (old Frankish Proverb)  Guinea 2021

Offline SALMONEMIA

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #8 on: Jan 07, 2024, 07:35 AM »
Nice report. I didn't go to the brookie spot as I figured it would be a zoo. I found ice In lakes regions but very limited and sketch. The lack of ice is scary.
Salmonemia

Offline jigmaster5

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #9 on: Jan 07, 2024, 09:17 AM »
Nice work!  Cool finding that laker in shallow.  :tipup:

Offline Guinea

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #10 on: Jan 07, 2024, 05:59 PM »
Very cool! I used to catch a fair amount of lakers in 8 fow.

I got onto 5" of black ice yesterday, but it's supposed to warm up and rain Wednesday.  ::)
Thinkin 'bout cusk on the grill......

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.