Author Topic: 3d files? Especially STL  (Read 1160 times)

Offline dbickom

• Team IceShanty Regular
3d files? Especially STL
« on: Dec 25, 2023, 09:32 PM »
Anyone have any ice fishing items they are creating on 3D printers.  Just curious.  Bought my son a 3D printer for Christmas this year.  I see tons of potential for creating creature comforts and tools for Ice fishing.  Let me know!
Good things come to those who Bait!

Offline vanhln

• Team IceShanty Regular
Re: 3d files? Especially STL
« Reply #1 on: Dec 25, 2023, 10:56 PM »
Go to thingiverse.com and search.  There are some plans for jawjackers and M18 battery slide ons.  There are stuff out there

Offline jrjach75

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #2 on: Dec 26, 2023, 06:55 AM »
Yes, I created a few Genz box accessories, at first for personal use, but figured I’d print some extras to try and sell a few. Kind of snowballed from there, I’ve got 3 different items now, and testing a fourth. Last season with those sales I was able to pay for the printer and all the materials I bought. This season I was able to pay for an electric auger and underwater camera upgrades. I’m almost sold out and it’s not even January.

Thingiverse has a lot but the search function there isn’t the greatest.
I’ve uploaded a few things, these rod holders would be an easy print for someone just getting started:

https://www.thingiverse.com/jrjach75/designs

I like printables, it’s free too, just not as much there
https://www.printables.com/

For ice fishing I really recommend printing with some extra walls, I print with 4. High infill too, like 35+, stuff gets brittle in the cold. I’d start with PLA+ at first, it’s easiest to print with and strong, should last a couple seasons. For long term petg, asa, or abs are better materials, but PLA+ will last in the cold, it’s the hot sun that’s more of a problem

Offline vanhln

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #3 on: Dec 26, 2023, 09:15 AM »
Jr,
That is good info.  I'm just getting started in 3d printing with an Elegoo printer.  Need to try some of your prints

Offline dbickom

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #4 on: Jan 03, 2024, 06:52 AM »
jr - thank you for the information.  I will send along any information I find or anything I try as well!  Good luck this season!

Yes, I created a few Genz box accessories, at first for personal use, but figured I’d print some extras to try and sell a few. Kind of snowballed from there, I’ve got 3 different items now, and testing a fourth. Last season with those sales I was able to pay for the printer and all the materials I bought. This season I was able to pay for an electric auger and underwater camera upgrades. I’m almost sold out and it’s not even January.

Thingiverse has a lot but the search function there isn’t the greatest.
I’ve uploaded a few things, these rod holders would be an easy print for someone just getting started:

https://www.thingiverse.com/jrjach75/designs

I like printables, it’s free too, just not as much there
https://www.printables.com/

For ice fishing I really recommend printing with some extra walls, I print with 4. High infill too, like 35+, stuff gets brittle in the cold. I’d start with PLA+ at first, it’s easiest to print with and strong, should last a couple seasons. For long term petg, asa, or abs are better materials, but PLA+ will last in the cold, it’s the hot sun that’s more of a problem
Good things come to those who Bait!

Offline lowaccord66

• Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #5 on: Jan 03, 2024, 06:55 AM »
The summit pole for livescope has or had 3d printed parts.

Offline jrjach75

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #6 on: Jan 03, 2024, 08:51 AM »
Jr,
That is good info.  I'm just getting started in 3d printing with an Elegoo printer.  Need to try some of your prints

Thanks, mine is probably similar, not anything a professional would use, but other than being slower, print quality is pretty good among all of these FDM type printers.

I should have added, I print PETG with the stuff I sell, only because I don't have a setup that allows me to have the printer in an enclosure with an outside exhaust. If I did, I'd probably look into ABS/Nylon/ASA materials. I noticed a lot of the livescope pole makers are going to TPU material, haven't attempted that yet, but would think that would be a good material to use in the outdoors as well.

Offline dave b.

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • waitin for winter
« Reply #7 on: Jan 03, 2024, 04:57 PM »

My son made the spools for me with a 3D printer. I gave him an old 4” plastic spool from 40 up and he made 6 spools.

Offline fishingidjit

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #8 on: Jan 04, 2024, 06:29 AM »

My son made the spools for me with a 3D printer. I gave him an old 4” plastic spool from 40 up and he made 6 spools.

DB, That is awesome!

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.