Author Topic: Newfound Derby  (Read 2004 times)

Offline 6wheels

• Team IceShanty Regular
Newfound Derby
« on: Feb 26, 2018, 07:27 AM »
Well, this is my last year doing the Newfound Derby. Back in 2015, a friend had placed in the derby and the derby officials never posted the board standing or derby results. I was more pissed off about the fish that were killed and brought to the board just to see if they qualified when a simple update on-line might have saved those fish to be caught again. This year - once again - there were no updates and even today, the results are not posted. I understand this is a derby for a good cause, but it is a real disgrace to take money from the participants and then not to make the effort to simply type in some updates here and there as a courtesy. I am done

Offline mowbizz

• Team IceShanty Maniac
Re: Newfound Derby
« Reply #1 on: Feb 26, 2018, 08:55 AM »
We found that unusual too...tried to check their FB page several times to see what was on the board but no dice.
I think the AVFD should take a bit more responsibility regarding ROAD VEHICLES using the Wellington ramp which got pretty well toasted because of the derby. There was a group of trucks and SUVs that kept driving on and off all weekend and they were only fishing a couple hundred yards from the ramp. I feel there should be an “off road vehicles only” sign for he duration of the derby going onto the lake from Wellington launch. Anyone agree or disagree??

Offline saintonionis

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #2 on: Feb 26, 2018, 09:25 AM »
That's too bad. What a shame to kill fish like that unnecessarily. Hopefully they were eaten at least.  I also agree with you mowbizz about the vehicles on the ice.  Laziness.  When I fish the NH lakes I sometimes have to walk damn near a mile on the ice to get to my spot I want to fish and Iv never driven a car or truck on the ice either especially during warm weather. Boat ramp must be destroyed.  I was planning on fishing this tournament but ended up fishing Hermit lake instead for some bass.

Offline jethro

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #3 on: Feb 26, 2018, 09:58 AM »
I feel there should be an “off road vehicles only” sign for he duration of the derby going onto the lake from Wellington launch. Anyone agree or disagree??

TOTALLY agree. I actually would prefer if no road going vehicles were allowed on ANY ice ANYWHERE in the state. It doesn't make sense to me! Bring a wheeler or sled or walk. Just my opinion and I am willing to get roasted for it.
Quote- fishslap: I use a variety:  whistlin' bungholes, spleen splitters, whisker biscuits, honkey lighters, hoosker doos, hoosker don'ts, cherry bombs, nipsy daisers, with or without the scooter stick, or one single whistlin' kitty chaser

Ice safety link: http://lakeice.squarespace.com/

Offline Lcabait

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #4 on: Feb 26, 2018, 10:46 AM »
Exactly! The ramp definitely took it hard and with this weeks warm weather might kill it for the rest of us!

Offline WhereDaRainbows

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #5 on: Feb 26, 2018, 10:56 AM »
I'm glad you posted this. I too understand that it's a smaller derby which benefits a good cause. But where are the results? How about the winners from the random drawings that take place? I can understand the volunteer fire fighters might be some good ole boys who aren't internet savvy and that's fine. But they advertise the derby on Facebook. How hard would it be to put updates of the board every now and then? At least at the end of each day... the prizes are weak and the updates are non existent. I won't be participating anymore. On a good note I had fun fishing with my friends and I don't think anyone got hurt this year we had good ice so that's positive.
"I have fished through fishless days that I remember happily without regret." -- Roderick Haig-Brown

Offline Hottuna5150

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #6 on: Feb 26, 2018, 11:55 AM »
It is a bummer that they don’t post the derby results but I know they used to donate fish collected at the boards to the science center (as Meredith does). Not sure if they did this year but I imagine they would.
Perhaps I should not have been a fisherman, he thought. But that was the thing that I was born for.
-Ernest Hemingway

Offline TogueRogue

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #7 on: Feb 26, 2018, 06:39 PM »
Totally agree with the the lack of updates...Not only is the unnecessary killing of fish an issue but the time it takes to take a fish to the board only to find out it wont make it takes away from fishing time which to me is just as important and is the reason I didnt participate this year...hopefully if enough people make themselves heard to AVFD they will see that they are losing revenue and make the change....if they do, I would definetly be back next year...TR

Offline onehitters21

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #8 on: Feb 27, 2018, 03:53 AM »
They did say any fish not picked up would be donated. I don’t u derstabd why fish need to be dead to check in. The big bass tournaments your fish are alive the whole time then released.  We don’t need to see the fish on the board just the weight and size would be fine.

Offline perch boy

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #9 on: Feb 27, 2018, 05:42 AM »
I think you are wrong. If I have a fish that makes the board and then it is bumped off, I want to see the fish that beat me. How many people do you think would go to the Winni derby if it wasn't for the fish shown on the board? The state law limits still apply two trout etc. so I don't think much harm is being done. I know and agree that common sense would stop a lot of fish from being checked in but You probably can't put length limits for this derby because I have seen the board not even filled. so if someone was not to check a fish in that would be a shame to loose  a prize for that reason,   I fish it every year and enjoy it.  The derby wasn't even going to happen from what I was told ,if it weren't for Mark who said he would come back even after having health problems. Thank you Mark. The ones who complain are probably the ones that don't even want to help out, and probably are the guys that want to keep the lake to themselves.  The fishermen that are on this site like myself know pretty much if a fish will make the board and return the ones that shouldn't make the board. The state also has a 15" limit on the lakers for this lake which must mean they want to thin the schools of that size trout. This to me makes me think the checking in of  size trout kind of helps fish and game in the management as well. kind of a win for the boys in Green.  I say everybody is a critic. I see it every year everybody think they should do this and they should do that, but no one steps up to the plate to make it better.

Offline 6wheels

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #10 on: Feb 27, 2018, 12:33 PM »
Yes that’s me - I want to keep the lake to myself. That’s obvious from my comment.

Offline WhereDaRainbows

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #11 on: Feb 27, 2018, 07:02 PM »
Perch boy- in 2015 I had 2nd place laker at that derby with 4.22 pounds. This year it wouldn't have made the board. But if I caught a 4 pounder I would have brought it to the board and it would have died instead of being released to grow bigger. So how exactly do you and most of the "fisherman" on this site know what will make the board. The rainbows this year at the Meredith derby were all small compared to the year before. I think you catch my drift. You have no idea what will make the board. And if you are going to hold a derby you should post updates it's very simple. Especially when you say you are going to. I don't want to help out with the derby I want to fish it like everyone else. They are doing that derby to raise money for their job. I raise money for my company by working 40-50 hours a week and I enjoy fishing on my time off not volunteering
"I have fished through fishless days that I remember happily without regret." -- Roderick Haig-Brown

Offline tbern

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #12 on: Feb 27, 2018, 08:20 PM »
Question, in New Hampshire do volunteer firemen consider firefighting to be their job or do they work regular 40 -50 hour work weeks and volunteer their time ( night or day and at any moment) to help deal with fires or rescues in their communities?  My 2 son in laws who are volunteer firemen, work their regular jobs, but volunteer their own time to fight fires and volunteer their time at fundraisers to help buy equipment for " their job" which just might help them to save someone else's life or maybe their own.

Offline Bobber Bob

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #13 on: Feb 27, 2018, 08:48 PM »
I was in a derby 3 weeks ago and they didn't have a Facebook page with updates. I don't understand where it's free and only takes minutes to do. I had to call the weighin table a few times as I didn't want to risk killing any fish as I always catch and release. The people who ran the derby were great people but it would be nice to get updates. Saving the fish so we can catch them again is my top priority.

Offline perch boy

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #14 on: Feb 27, 2018, 09:02 PM »
Perch boy- in 2015 I had 2nd place laker at that derby with 4.22 pounds. This year it wouldn't have made the board. But if I caught a 4 pounder I would have brought it to the board and it would have died instead of being released to grow bigger. So how exactly do you and most of the "fisherman" on this site know what will make the board. The rainbows this year at the Meredith derby were all small compared to the year before. I think you catch my drift. You have no idea what will make the board. And if you are going to hold a derby you should post updates it's very simple. Especially when you say you are going to. I don't want to help out with the derby I want to fish it like everyone else. They are doing that derby to raise money for their job. I raise money for my company by working 40-50 hours a week and I enjoy fishing on my time off not volunteering

You do not have a clue as to what you are talking about. If you would have caught  4 pound laker you would have made money at the derby this weekend. It just so happens that a 3.76 lb  23 1/2" laker took third place in the laker category. I know because I was there. so please stop with all the crap. If you want to stay out of the derbies that is great for the rest of us . but if you are or want to be involved and not destroy the fish that don't make the board then when you buy your ticket get a phone # like I did or better yet stop by and see the guys running it. Bjut please don't tell me that if you had caught a 4lb laker it wouldn't have made money because that is just not true. but since you are so set against their way of running the derby I want to thank you for not entering it next year much obliged.

Offline WhereDaRainbows

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #15 on: Feb 27, 2018, 09:33 PM »
No one knows what would place on the board because they don't post updates. By the time you find out the fish is dead. What I want to know is why they say they are going to and then don't? And why does it bother you that people don't like that?

Most volunteer fire fighters either A. Are doing it for experience and to get there foot in the door for full time position while getting tax breaks or B are paid per diem per call. Either way they choose to do it.  And it also doesn't mean it isn't a respectable job so don't misinterpret my point. I was simply saying not everyone has the time to volunteer I'm a single dad with full custody with very limited time to myself I can't volunteer for every noble organization around.

Offline 6wheels

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #16 on: Feb 27, 2018, 09:40 PM »
I have one word for you perch boy . . . spellcheck. It can be your friend.

Offline perch boy

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #17 on: Feb 28, 2018, 04:59 AM »
I have one word for you perch boy . . . spellcheck. It can be your friend.

Ya Ya  what can I say? You got me on that. I pretty sure you got my meaning though.

Offline perch boy

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #18 on: Feb 28, 2018, 05:03 AM »
Wheredarainbow I agree with you they should post it on facebook if they say they are going to  but there could be a reason for them not doing it ???????????????????????????  but yes with todays technology it wouldn't hurt.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.