Author Topic: Cusk trap question  (Read 545 times)

Offline icetilt

• Team IceShanty Regular
Cusk trap question
« on: Feb 22, 2018, 08:45 AM »
So my buddy SHARPS and I are going to make the trip up to winni from down here in CT and RI and I was wondering if I could repurpose some old polar tipups to use for cusk fishing? I was thinking of removing the spool and shaft and leaving the flag on to mark the hole. I guess my other question is can I do this or do the traps have to be wood?

Offline zwiggles

• Team IceShanty Maniac
Re: Cusk trap question
« Reply #1 on: Feb 22, 2018, 09:06 AM »
They don’t have to be wood. I know some people who use electrical cord holders as they’re cheap and easy to chip out.

There are rules for th set up which you should look up, but if I remember correctly it must be a set line which can’t spool, must have a 1 ounce or greater weight, be on bottom, and have less than a six inch leader to the bait.

The big advantage of wood over plastic is it won’t shatter when you accidentally hit it with your chisel when you checking them.

Offline Capt. Black

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • "Deserves got nothing to do with it."
« Reply #2 on: Feb 22, 2018, 09:12 AM »

Offline icetilt

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #3 on: Feb 22, 2018, 09:16 AM »

The big advantage of wood over plastic is it won’t shatter when you accidentally hit it with your chisel when you checking them.

Good point wasn't thinking about. I looked at the regs and just wanted to make sure about materials, because it didn't mention it.

Offline Jack1972

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #4 on: Feb 22, 2018, 07:47 PM »
I'm still quite novice to Cusk fishing but a good tip I learned; I bought a cheap exercise floor mat (2' x 2') and cut it into four 1' square pieces to cover the holes at night. Doesn't make it ice-proof but delays the freeze a bit to make for less chiseling the next day.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.