Author Topic: My Experience with the 8" Jiffy Pro 4 Propane Auger....  (Read 5450 times)

Offline ice dawg

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShantyholic
  • Tawny-"Ice Pooch"
Re: My Experience with the 8" Jiffy Pro 4 Propane Auger....
« Reply #30 on: Jan 11, 2011, 04:17 PM »
Also the slogan is U.S engineered for ultimate performance.  So engineered in the U.S yes, built no.  As far as I'm concerned its not that big of a deal.  All auger engines are chinese made and they all get the job done, good enough for me
I have been told that the engine on the Pro 4 is made in california.
It seems to go from zero to hero all some have to do is lie.

Offline Celt6

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #31 on: Jan 11, 2011, 04:51 PM »
I am biased because I own one, however last time Uncle Sam ( the dude with the striped hat) tried to get his fortune told, the lady said " I can see it, but cant read Chinese!" very good cartoon!! Its a decent piece of equipment no complaint from me.

Offline StonecoldCat

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #32 on: Jan 11, 2011, 06:36 PM »
I figure unless you've got lots of cash usually best not to jump on something new till the bugs are worked out.Xcept for the Tanakas all the augers are mostly running new powerheads.I did run into someone recently w/the new Jiffy Pro4 and I was impressed.Super super quiet ,started 1st pull and it was bitter cold that day. It also cut really nice.For me it would be great not to mix or deal w/gas also there's  the ethanol problem.Time will tell-maybe next year.Great to hear from someone who has one and also those who don't but have input.Where else but the Shanty.

Offline stumper

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Never settle for less
« Reply #33 on: Jan 11, 2011, 06:53 PM »
I have been told that the engine on the Pro 4 is made in california.

From what I have been told, Lehr in Cali had this motor in production already and Jiffy redisigned the guts  so that it would get proper oiling in the horizontal position. If you notice the motor  has mounting holes located opposite the spark plug to mount it vertically.

Offline Uplandhuntr

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #34 on: Jan 11, 2011, 07:02 PM »
Which would apply to all the makers.  The powerhead can be made elsewhere and shipped and and still qualify for made in the USA.  Example?  Ford, Dodge, or Chevrolet.   25% American parts 75% ROTW.

Anyways......

I just mentioned China, i didnt mean anything by it.  Not everything out of China is junk, and i am well aware of this.   

Thread is going to go the way of the Dodo quickly.  I happens every time i see someone buy one and review it.  You say why you love it and 50 tards stop off to say why they dont......as if anyone cares.  Why i would not own one has absolutely ZERO bearing on your ownership so ill spare you reading my viewpoint of an auger i have never run, and dont intend to, on your review thread.

Thanks for the review btw.  Its just like the many other i have read thus far.....which is....its a very good auger.

http://dictionary.reference.com/browse/forum

Computing Dictionary

Forum definition
(Plural "fora" or "forums") Any discussion group accessible through a dial-in BBS  mailing list, or a Usenet newsgroup (see network, the). A forum functions much like a bulletin board; users submit postings for all to read and discussion ensues.
Contrast real-time chat or point-to-point personal e-mail.
[ Jargon File]
(1998-01-18)

The very nature of a forum exists so that the initial poster will receive responses, affirmative and negative, sometimes with a logical explanation, sometimes like a 5th grader calling people names when they don't have any thought processes behind their response..... ;D

Obviously you don't have any family or friends with a learning disability, or you would understand how offensive that statement can be.

And I am not hypersensitive about name calling or political correctness, but notice how I can make a rebuttal post without once labeling you....you did that on your own. ;)

Tell us the reason you wouldn't run one, and then you are a contributing member of the 'forum'.  The review is a starting point for a discussion, otherwise lock the thread for only positive comments..... ::)

Offline stumper

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Never settle for less
« Reply #35 on: Jan 11, 2011, 07:04 PM »
They didn't get it.... Makes it even funnier!   ;)

What is the main purpose of owning a propane auger, weed wacker, etc.  What am I missing?

No lingering smoke in a permy shack after drilling 8 holes.

Carb will stay clean, dont have to worry about getting bad gas or gas with water in it ruining your trip. Also nice for the guys that dont fish very often, no need for stabil in the fuel.Fuel is always fresh.

Alot easier and cleaner to carry a couple bottles of propane than a jug of gas I had to mix oil into before I can use it.

If I could put my Laser bit on it, I might consider it,but I like to be able to drill a hole in my shoes without getting my feet wet. Not gonna happen with a jiffy.

Offline Uplandhuntr

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #36 on: Jan 11, 2011, 07:05 PM »
Do you know what else we might have seen this company's motors on for comparison?

Good info, Stumper, as always!

Offline StonecoldCat

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #37 on: Jan 11, 2011, 07:46 PM »
.Where else but the Shanty.
Info and entertainment all at the same time. :o

Trooper Bri

« Reply #38 on: Jan 11, 2011, 08:02 PM »
I'm still not seeing the benefits guys.  I'm sure the fish here the ice scraping away, like finger nails on a chalk board.  As for the gas I have a 3hp auger that I fill up and can probably get at least 200 holes out of. Without running the numbers I would assume the propane costs more to operate. And since it's under pressure you have the potential fOr it leaking out and not even knowing it.

The benefit is the alternative. It wasn't designed to replace gas augers, it was designed to fill a need.

Offline W4lleye

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #39 on: Jan 11, 2011, 08:08 PM »
Do you know what else we might have seen this company's motors on for comparison?

Well, if i remember correctly this all went down when Tecumseh exited stage left.  Jiffy already had a powerhead designed so they had it built overseas due to monetary constraints (just like everyone else).  So, as far as i know, its a Jiffy motor since then.  Being that its the first propane powered auger head its likely it hasn't tested anywhere else, unless Jiffy is farming out their heads somewhere i dont know about.  I haven't called or anything, its just something i was interested in and remember some info from.

I have yet to see a bad review if that's any consolation. Hole numbers per tank are comparable. Little issue with tank freeze. Chews like a badger.  (lol i bet, with 42lbs of weight) Low noise.  Low emission.  Near zero maintenance.  Gives you a hella workout. (bonus!) Fires within 1-3 pulls.  (have yet to hear a 4) Ready to go now, not 1-2 minutes from now.  No gas to mix.  No potential for gas to leak on him, his truck, hands, or gear...and if you want to go dollar for dollar?  Look at the top model prices in each line.  If your used to carrying 1lbers, its not a stretch for some to want one.  

Any man who reads too much and uses his own brain too little falls into lazy habits of thinking.
Albert Einstein

You save the world, ill save your seat.

Offline W4lleye

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #40 on: Jan 11, 2011, 08:09 PM »
it was designed to fill a need.

Indeed.  Which varies from person to person. 
Any man who reads too much and uses his own brain too little falls into lazy habits of thinking.
Albert Einstein

Offline W4lleye

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #41 on: Jan 11, 2011, 08:10 PM »
From what I have been told, Luhr in Cali had this motor in production already and Jiffy redisigned the guts  so that it would get proper oiling in the horizontal position. If you notice the motor  has mounting holes located opposite the spark plug to mount it vertically.

Thanks for the clarification.  :)
Albert Einstein

Trooper Bri

« Reply #42 on: Jan 11, 2011, 08:23 PM »
And FWIW, I did fire one up. Our sponsor CT Outfitters received a batch and I had to test fire the floor model a couple weeks ago or so. It kicked on the second tug. If you can pull a cord, you can start this auger. It idled nicely by itself after 20 seconds or so. Granted we were indoors, but it was very well behaved.

I took a few pics, but here's one of the regulator hanging out under the carb.

Offline W4lleye

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #43 on: Jan 11, 2011, 08:26 PM »
I am happy as hell about the new propane auger--and wasn't sure if it was going to be a good move.

Nathan

I kept debating whether i could justify the expenditure too long.  Before i could decide i found a new Strikeking on craigslist that a guy wanted a chainsaw for.  I couldnt pass on a 450 dollar auger when all i had in the chainsaw was 150.  :o

Maybe in a few years now.   Im going to get my moneis worth out of the SK since i got it.  

Not sure what my SK weighs, but it cant be a whole lot less than this guy you bought.  
Albert Einstein

Offline AdamT

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #44 on: Jan 11, 2011, 08:30 PM »
My wife bought me one this year and I wasn't sure that I was going to keep it until a couple of days ago. I was definitely turned off by the weight and it being a new product. I haven't used it yet but the advantages so far are; No 3 year old can of premixed gas sitting around the garage, I don't have any other 2 strokes. I can transport it in a car, it's quiet. These three issues were what kept me from buying a power auger for my first 20 years of ice fishing.
 What finally tipped the scales was my decision to finally buy a snowmobile, no more weight concerns ;D.

Adam

Offline ice dawg

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShantyholic
  • Tawny-"Ice Pooch"
« Reply #45 on: Jan 11, 2011, 08:49 PM »
From what I have been told, Luhr in Cali had this motor in production already and Jiffy redisigned the guts  so that it would get proper oiling in the horizontal position. If you notice the motor  has mounting holes located opposite the spark plug to mount it vertically.
It does look like it was originally designed for a different application. I would like to have one, but you know little guys like me can't handle them. Are you gonna have one up here with ya in FEB?
It seems to go from zero to hero all some have to do is lie.

Offline pioneer MT

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #46 on: Jan 11, 2011, 09:05 PM »
I hadn't seen one of these before but it looks pretty sweet. no stinky gas.

Offline Hagigun

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • "...It's the reckoning."
« Reply #47 on: Jan 11, 2011, 09:51 PM »
I am new to ice fishing. My girlfriend and I jumped in full force, yet neither of us knew much about engines/augers, maintenance, etc.

We wanted something easy. After seeing my friend buy a used Auger off craigslist, i wanted no part of that. His choke wasn't working, gas started leaking and then it was out of gas and we had to go hand auger the rest of the day. His throttle broke off on the walk out to boot. We rigged up a string for that.

So when we got some Christmas money together, we went with the Strikemaster Electra. I read reviews that said great things. Now i didn't expect miracles, but I figured I'd get 20 holes or so in 8-12" of ice. Some user reviews had said 60+ holes, so I was optimistic. No messy oil/gas, plug in and go, no spark plug, push a button to start, we can drill right inside our 6 person shack to position the holes with no smell, etc.

So, 1st time out back on the 1st of Jan, got 11 holes and it died. We checked for some fish with a few of the holes, then drilled some for my buddy, then only got 2 of the 3 i needed in my shack. Just pissed.

Took it back. Added $100 and went with the Jiffy Pro 4. Best decision I've ever made! This thing IS heavy, i have the 10". I've pulled it in a sled, with a shack, and all sorts of other gear and it's no different than any auger weight wise i guess.

We drive our car out usually now, so who cares how heavy it is mid winter. For those that hand tote an auger, this is not gonna be for you.

The 4 times since we have been out, probably done 15-20 holes each time and we are on the same 1lb tank. How hard is carrying an extra 1lb tank? not at all.

Starts everytime on 1st or 2nd pull like others have said. When in transit, we just unscrew the tank and re cap it. Super easy. We also just remember to set it down with the tank side up...again, not hard. It's not as if you just chuck your gas Auger after using it. I take care of things that I buy so I'm not sure how setting it tank side up is that big of a hassle. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4Q7UmY9i2qI   *See this clip 19seconds to 35 seconds.

Here is what I learned.

Electra is great for a perm shack and expect about 8 holes if Ice is real thick 12+. If you plan on jumping off your car, fine, that will work. But battery has serious limitations. It has it's purpose, just not for me.

Jiffy Pro 4 - Heavy, higher price, unproven, fuel costs may be more than gas.

Besides that I absolutely love my Auger!!
-Reliable - so far
-Drill inside my shack to get optimal hole placement.
-No smell on my hands or bait
-No choke
-No mixing or measuring
-No gas issues period!
-Not as much off season maintenance with running it dry etc.

For an engine novice like me, this has been the perfect choice. Hope this helps people one way or another. When i am looking at making a purchase, honest user reviews always help.
I really have no complaints at this point. I would highly reccommend it!
Why?
....Because I can't can't Golf with Ice on the lake!

Offline Uplandhuntr

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #48 on: Jan 11, 2011, 10:05 PM »

Well, if i remember correctly this all went down when Tecumseh exited stage left.  Jiffy already had a powerhead designed so they had it built overseas due to monetary constraints (just like everyone else).  So, as far as i know, its a Jiffy motor since then.  Being that its the first propane powered auger head its likely it hasn't tested anywhere else, unless Jiffy is farming out their heads somewhere i dont know about.  I haven't called or anything, its just something i was interested in and remember some info from.

I have yet to see a bad review if that's any consolation. Hole numbers per tank are comparable. Little issue with tank freeze. Chews like a badger.  (lol i bet, with 42lbs of weight) Low noise.  Low emission.  Near zero maintenance.  Gives you a hella workout. (bonus!) Fires within 1-3 pulls.  (have yet to hear a 4) Ready to go now, not 1-2 minutes from now.  No gas to mix.  No potential for gas to leak on him, his truck, hands, or gear...and if you want to go dollar for dollar?  Look at the top model prices in each line.  If your used to carrying 1lbers, its not a stretch for some to want one. 

So, the engine was in production in Cali, retro'd for Jiffy and here we are.  I haven't said a negative thing about the new auger other than the cost and the weight.  I bet it cuts great and I am always into new technology.

My question is, what else has this engine been used for that we can base an opinion on for reliability a year or two down the road?  Obviously it was in production for another purpose, just wondering what it was and how it is working out?

I'm just doing my homework.  When things really interest me, I check them out. 

I really appreciate those that actually own them or have used them on the ice posting up the reviews.  The rest of us that don't own them or have only seen them indoors will live vicariously through the rest of you until we can....

Thank!!

Offline JimQ

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #49 on: Jan 11, 2011, 10:12 PM »
My wife bought me one this year and I wasn't sure that I was going to keep it until a couple of days ago. I was definitely turned off by the weight and it being a new product. I haven't used it yet but the advantages so far are; No 3 year old can of premixed gas sitting around the garage, I don't have any other 2 strokes. I can transport it in a car, it's quiet. These three issues were what kept me from buying a power auger for my first 20 years of ice fishing.
 What finally tipped the scales was my decision to finally buy a snowmobile, no more weight concerns ;D.

Adam

What a woman.... Love her.  Don't EVER forget her.  Seriously.  She is lookin out for you!  She is tryin hard to make you smile!

Q

Offline UpNorth -21

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • "FISH ON"
« Reply #50 on: Jan 11, 2011, 10:16 PM »
Maybe this was discussed in the forum didnt read all the posts but I have heard that Jiffy is going "GREEN" and soon all there augers will be propane anyone else heard this or was someone blowing smoke??
"Catch And Release into the Grease"

Offline stumper

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Never settle for less
« Reply #51 on: Jan 11, 2011, 10:19 PM »
Maybe this was discussed in the forum didnt read all the posts but I have heard that Jiffy is going "GREEN" and soon all there augers will be propane anyone else heard this or was someone blowing smoke??

Have not heard that, but I highly doubt they will dump the 2 strokes any time soon.

Offline stumper

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Never settle for less
« Reply #52 on: Jan 11, 2011, 10:23 PM »
Sorry, spelled it wrong, its Lehr, not luhr. ::)

This is all I have found so far.....

http://www.golehr.com/products.shtml

Offline DR.SPECKLER

• Team IceShantyholic
  • find your own fish..
« Reply #53 on: Jan 12, 2011, 07:38 AM »
Have not heard that, but I highly doubt they will dump the 2 strokes any time soon.
i wouldnt be to surprised if that happen.dirtbikes are almost all four stroke now.honda hasnt made the cr250 in years.i love 2 strokes and never want them to stop making them.

Offline GCD

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Arctic Armor, it's not just for ice fishing!!!
« Reply #54 on: Jan 12, 2011, 08:15 AM »
I really dislike the noise and smoke of a 2 stroke and don't own anything that is a 2 stroke. Boat motor is 4 stroke and weedeater is electric.

If I ever did enough ice fishing to justify buying a power auger, the propane would be my only chioce.
Give a man a fish and you'll feed him for a day, give him a religion and he'll starve to death while praying for a fish... author unknown

Offline Icepuppy

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #55 on: Jan 12, 2011, 09:58 AM »
I think this may be a good bet. It is heavy and as some have pointed out there are different augers for different people/situations.  I have a brand new Jiffy that has never touched the ice, the weight and smell turned me off and I will be selling it.  I now use a 6" Nils hand auger and will probably never change that unless I'm still fishing when I'm old and then it will be a snowmobile and probably some hand held laser, lol.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.