Author Topic: No.8 Tackle tickle stick or Snitch for perch  (Read 7011 times)

Offline kingPhoenix

• IceShanty Rookie
No.8 Tackle tickle stick or Snitch for perch
« on: Jan 07, 2016, 11:37 AM »
Hey guys the no 8 tackle rods seems to be a good balance of quality and value im looking to get another rod for fishing perch.  Tickle stick looks good but reviews of the small guides icing and the easy to snap tip have me worried since im ordering online from Canada and not sure how hard warranty service is going to be.
The snitch seems like a good rod as well but there arent many reviews online about it.

Wondering if anyone has experience with either rod, unfortunately i dont know of any stores that well them anywhere close to me to go look at them.

Thanks,

Offline docbas

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Hardwater Nut!
Re: No.8 Tackle tickle stick or Snitch for perch
« Reply #1 on: Jan 07, 2016, 11:43 AM »
Just got my snitch in the mail yesterday, so haven't fished with it yet.  It seems a little stiff to me, but the very end is extremely whippy.  I think it would be fine for perch, I'm planning on using it for panfish.  The guides are very small, not sure how well that will do with icing up, though.

Offline wiel0059

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #2 on: Jan 07, 2016, 11:53 AM »
I'd recommend the 27" L Tickle Stick for Perch. That's my go-to rod for perch and crappie fishing with small spoons. I love it to be honest. The small guides / breaking issue was much more prevalent last year. They improved the strength for this season and the eyelets are also much bigger / better. Just be sure if you order it's an "NTS" model, that's the new version. Regardless, 13 Fishing has awesome CS, I'm just not sure on the Canada thing either since I've never lived there  ;). Can't speak for the Snitch personally, never used it. I have a buddy that has some and he loves them... I think you'd be very happy with either.

Offline poupster2

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #3 on: Jan 07, 2016, 01:25 PM »
I won a tickle stick online and baught a Snitch!  I'll be able to respond and give you a comparisson of the two when I'll be on the ice and that is not going to happen until at least a week from friday!  Hang on, we'll get there!

Offline hnd

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #4 on: Jan 07, 2016, 01:33 PM »
i have 2 custom noodles but this year have purchased the snitch, beaverdams noodle, and shakespears ice noodle.  upon first inspection, the beaver dam tip seems less whippy and the rod very stiff.   the ice noodle is very whippy throughout.  the bend of the rod goes throughout the backbone as opposed to after the 2nd guide like on my customs.   the snitch seems to be about up to snuff with my customs.  i think the tip might not be as "noodly" as my noodles but we shall see. 

Offline GBR

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #5 on: Jan 07, 2016, 02:40 PM »
I own the snitch and my brother has the tickle stick. We were both have trouble with the guides icing up. Other than that, they are both really nice rods. I prefer the snitch because it's $15 cheaper. We've caught a lot of panfish and perch on them.

Offline kingPhoenix

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #6 on: Jan 07, 2016, 03:02 PM »
I'd recommend the 27" L Tickle Stick for Perch. That's my go-to rod for perch and crappie fishing with small spoons. I love it to be honest. The small guides / breaking issue was much more prevalent last year. They improved the strength for this season and the eyelets are also much bigger / better. Just be sure if you order it's an "NTS" model, that's the new version. Regardless, 13 Fishing has awesome CS, I'm just not sure on the Canada thing either since I've never lived there  ;). Can't speak for the Snitch personally, never used it. I have a buddy that has some and he loves them... I think you'd be very happy with either.

Thanks for the head up on the model number definitely confirming that before purchase.  I was leaning towards the tickle stick before i saw the reviews since its very different than anything i have and i imagine the snitch is just a better version of of the current rods i have.

The value of the Canadian dollar is killing me with online shopping or id just buy it from their website.

Offline Huntmaster86

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #7 on: Jan 07, 2016, 08:17 PM »
I love my 27" UL tickle stick. The tip does ice up but I have my heater going inside the shack so it's not an issue. Not a good hole hopping pole when it's cold. I'm buying another tickle stick and both will be mates with the wicked long stem reels. Amazing!!

Offline EricB86

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #8 on: Jan 07, 2016, 08:28 PM »
I got a tickle stick with a black betty for the tent, it's not a good hole hoping combo though! For outside the tent, I have a TUCR BW with a spinning reel on it! If I were to buy a rod this year, I would get a widow maker with the tickle tip!

Offline matzilla

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #9 on: Jan 07, 2016, 10:45 PM »
I have a 26" snitch - its a great off the shelf rod for the money. It works a 5mm tungsten or up to a 1/16oz jig extremely well. It has decent sensitivity and a light enough tip to see the bite when using non stretch line. The snitch makes for a pretty darn good, cheap, crappie rod. It has enough backbone to handle some decent sized slabs

Put some carnauba wax on the small eyes to keep them from freezing up

This 14" crappie was caught on my Snitch last year

Catchin' Fish

Offline kingPhoenix

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #10 on: Jan 08, 2016, 11:51 AM »
I have a 26" snitch - its a great off the shelf rod for the money. It works a 5mm tungsten or up to a 1/16oz jig extremely well. It has decent sensitivity and a light enough tip to see the bite when using non stretch line. The snitch makes for a pretty darn good, cheap, crappie rod. It has enough backbone to handle some decent sized slabs

Put some carnauba wax on the small eyes to keep them from freezing up

This 14" crappie was caught on my Snitch last year

Thats Crappie is massive!  Ill be chasing jumbo perch in Ontario on Lake Simcoe 13-14" arent uncommon so ill need some backbone for sure.

Thanks for the review!

Offline Huntmaster86

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #11 on: Jan 13, 2016, 05:47 PM »
damn i wish we had perch like that down here!!!

Offline Elrik

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #12 on: Jan 14, 2016, 02:02 PM »
Thats Crappie is massive!  Ill be chasing jumbo perch in Ontario on Lake Simcoe 13-14" arent uncommon so ill need some backbone for sure.

Thanks for the review!

Hey KP. You don't need to order online, the cabella's in Barrie carries TickleSticks as do the Sails in Oshawa and Vaughn. I got one of last years models on super close out (even factoring exchange it was cheaper than they sell for in the US). As you know our ice is just starting to get there now, so I haven't had the rod on the ice yet, but I was using it out of the boat in cooks bay in November and was lifting the fish out of the water with no problem or worry about the tip. From what I have read, it seems the tip breaking issue is if you put weight on the tip off-axis. If straight up and down it is good. The backbone on the rod matched with the ridiculously sensitive tip is a great combo.

Offline birdieputts18

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #13 on: Jan 15, 2016, 11:28 PM »
Just bought a snitch on tuesday.  The tip is amazing and enough backbone to pull a 15' walleye with ease.  12" crappies on picky bites are easy to watch the tip and set a good hook.  Love the snitch!

Offline kingPhoenix

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #14 on: Jan 18, 2016, 10:13 AM »
Hey KP. You don't need to order online, the cabella's in Barrie carries TickleSticks as do the Sails in Oshawa and Vaughn. I got one of last years models on super close out (even factoring exchange it was cheaper than they sell for in the US). As you know our ice is just starting to get there now, so I haven't had the rod on the ice yet, but I was using it out of the boat in cooks bay in November and was lifting the fish out of the water with no problem or worry about the tip. From what I have read, it seems the tip breaking issue is if you put weight on the tip off-axis. If straight up and down it is good. The backbone on the rod matched with the ridiculously sensitive tip is a great combo.

Ended up getting one from sail.  was out on Cooch yesterday and that rod is insane.  I brought up more than 40 perch with a least a dozen over 11".
The tip is so damn sensitive 3" perch bites were still easy to see!  Guys i walked out with were set up right beside me and could only manage a few, after looking at their rods and know how lite the bites were im sure that this rod made all the difference.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.