Author Topic: Stupid weather....  (Read 1125 times)

Offline 66birdman

• Team IceShanty Regular
Stupid weather....
« on: Jan 27, 2013, 03:24 AM »
Looks like the CJ ice fishing is coming to a close.  I was out Friday with intentions of fishing cottonwood one more time before the big thaw but I didn't feel comfortable driving down the hill when I saw how slick it was.  I saw 3 trucks with trailers go down it sideways one after the other.  I can't believe they just kept on piling in down at the bottom of the hill like that.  Soooo I made my way to Black Sands in an attempt to find some bluegill.  Unfortunatly I couldnt seem to get my jig to hit the bottom of the lake before a trout grabbed it.  I messed with those snot rockets for about half an hour or so until I got bored with them.  I wasnt keeping a count but I bet i caught at least 30-40 trout ranging from 10-14 inches in that half hour.  Then I wandered out onto the main lake where I caught more trout.  I then made my way into one of the pump inlets and caught a decent trout, a little largemouth and a tiny bluegill.  I decided to try out Cove Rec where I caught even more trout and a few perch.  I ended the day with a sunset and another insane amount of trout in my original holes at the Black Sands marina.  All in all it was a fun day but not exactly what I wanted as the potential last day at CJ this year.  By the end of the day there was open water around the shoreline in the Black sands cove and about an inch and ahalf of water covering the ice everywhere else.  I will probably go check out the lake again after the weekend to see if i can still get out there but my hopes are pretty low. 

Offline mhfishing

• IceShanty Rookie
Re: Stupid weather....
« Reply #1 on: Jan 27, 2013, 07:45 AM »
Good luck, I am going to give it a shot today since I had to work yesterday.  I am thinking it may be a slick day on the ice.

Offline Whopper Stopper

• Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #2 on: Jan 27, 2013, 08:38 AM »
Reading boards like this one it seems all over the country the weather is screwed up.

WS

Offline 66birdman

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #3 on: Jan 27, 2013, 09:40 AM »
The fact that we were ice fishing this lake at all is messed up.  I would usually be drifting the flats for crappie in a boat out there right about now

Offline mhfishing

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #4 on: Jan 27, 2013, 06:49 PM »
Still good ice, the wind was horrible today though.

Offline the chief

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #5 on: Jan 27, 2013, 08:17 PM »
was here on Friday hill was slick but made it , the 2 of us ended up with 28  was at cj today wind was bad  got 12 before we got blew off. headed back to cottonwood in the morning this will my last trip before my knee replacement on wed . will miss the month of February . like i say will at cottonwood in the morning driving a black jeep . i will out left of the buoys hope to see some of you in march in the ice
Team Spudsickel 2012 1st place rainbow 2016 2nd place perch

Offline PopGear208

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #6 on: Jan 27, 2013, 10:42 PM »
Apprently we were on the wrong side lol. Glad to head you had such good luck. We ended up with a few decent perch and one nice trout, 16". Hoping to go back before its ruined. I feel you on the wind today. If I stood the right way, the wind would send me sliding on the ice.  How was the ice near black sands? 

Offline 66birdman

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #7 on: Jan 28, 2013, 04:19 AM »
Black Sands had plenty of ice on friday but some open water around the edges already.  I would say it was at least 10 inches in the middle though

Offline StrikeMojo

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #8 on: Jan 28, 2013, 05:11 PM »
We were fishign Cottonwood on Saturday when that front hit. Dropped something like 75 degrees in minutes (just kidding).  It did get cold.  We waited till the traffic jam got cleared up, and were 1 of 3 groups left out on the ice when we decided we couldn't take it any more and headed for the barn.  Fishign is still good, ice is still solide, be back out this weekend...(or at Cascade).
Tight Lines,

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.