Author Topic: Camer vs. Flasher  (Read 1422 times)

Offline 2dogs

• IceShanty Rookie
Camer vs. Flasher
« on: Dec 11, 2011, 09:05 AM »
I'm sure this has been discussed on here before, but, for my sake let's do it again. If you were to buy one (never had either) which would you get and why. What model also (probly can't afford the cadillac model). Thanks

Offline 2dogs

• IceShanty Rookie
Re: Camer vs. Flasher
« Reply #1 on: Dec 11, 2011, 09:07 AM »
Damn, meant camera ;D

Offline mhfishing

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #2 on: Dec 11, 2011, 10:18 AM »
I picked up a marcum flasher last year and love using it for perch.  When going for trout I don't really use it.

Offline Ranger_bound

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • NYS Ranger School Alum '09. SUNY ESF Alum '11
« Reply #3 on: Dec 11, 2011, 10:30 AM »
Flasher! You will never get your fish tangled in the cord unless you are fishing from the same hole the transducer is in. I have a Vexilar Fl-18 and will never fish with out it ever again. Now we can start that Vexilar vs Marcum or ford vs chevy crap but it's all personal preference, go fiddle around with the display models and make a decision. I also have a camera but have not used it yet, I think it will be attached to the Vexilar this winter.

Online ship of fools

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #4 on: Dec 11, 2011, 10:32 AM »
Flasher... hands down  ;)
Goin' where the wind don't blow so strange,
Maybe off on some high cold mountain chain.

Offline Skipper

• Iceshanty Retired Mod
  • Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #5 on: Dec 11, 2011, 10:38 AM »
I have both, the flasher sees 90% more use than the camera. I would not dream of leaving my flasher home, but I leave my camera home all the time. For icefishing, i feel a flasher is a necessity, nearly important as having something to make a hole in the ice. A camera is just a fun toy to me. 

Offline mpike2day

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #6 on: Dec 11, 2011, 10:43 AM »
I agree with the flasher.  I own a lx5 and an aquaview camera.  The camera is fun fishing gills in shallow water, its interesting watching how they take your jigs. Once you try to use it in deeper water its a pain.  The water has to be pretty clear, the lights dont work all that good on mine.  Also its time consuming when you first put the camera in and try to find your jig.  I have used my flasher to line up my jig and the camera at the same depth in order to actually find the jig.  Like others said its a pain when you get a tangle.  If I had to do it again I would have bought a flasher first. With a flasher you can see if there are fish alot faster.  You can get one for the price of a camera.  You wont regret it. 

Offline Woodland

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #7 on: Dec 11, 2011, 11:50 AM »
Flasher, hands down. They help you catch all species of fish. A camera won't help you catch cruising fish like trout and pike while a flasher will. A camera will help you sort through pan fish and perch but so will a higher end flasher. Heads up I don't know if it is still going on but there was a $100 of coupon for gander mountain.com and with an extra $50 mail in rebate You can get a marcum lx-5 for $350.00! No shipping or tax...

Offline elkcrazy8

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #8 on: Dec 11, 2011, 12:21 PM »
I bought one of these last year. I like the fact that it has side scan. I can punch a hole and rotate it on side scan. It tells me all I need to know!

http://store.humminbird.com/products/271365/120_Fishin%27_Buddy?alt=3

Offline smalltime

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #9 on: Dec 11, 2011, 01:06 PM »
i have both i have a cheep camera cabals  viewing system $120 and a marcum showdown the girlfriend and kid like the camera i like them both for $120 its hard to beat the camera for fishing the bottom of the column but you don't see the up high fish moving in so i say save your cash and get both

Offline 2dogs

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #10 on: Dec 11, 2011, 05:29 PM »
Hmmmm, thank you for all the input. Sounds like a flasher is the way to go, think i will ask Santa. I have never used either and I mainly fish for trout through the ice. I'm assuming there is a tutorial mode where you can learn how to use it , right?

Offline Skipper

• Iceshanty Retired Mod
  • Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #11 on: Dec 11, 2011, 05:39 PM »
It is easier than you think. It will make a hard mark where the bottom is, a mark where your jig is, and marks where the fish are. You just put your jig mark in front of a fish mark and jiggle!

They only look complicated until you sit down and play with one.

Offline Ranger_bound

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • NYS Ranger School Alum '09. SUNY ESF Alum '11
« Reply #12 on: Dec 11, 2011, 05:44 PM »
Hmmmm, thank you for all the input. Sounds like a flasher is the way to go, think i will ask Santa. I have never used either and I mainly fish for trout through the ice. I'm assuming there is a tutorial mode where you can learn how to use it , right?
My Vex came with a DVD of basic operation. I am sure marcum does the same. As Skipper mentioned they only look confusing and difficult to use but once you use it you will see how easy and user friendly they actually are.

Offline BlueDuck

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #13 on: Dec 11, 2011, 06:39 PM »
Flasher.   Especially for suspended fish.   Even when they don't bite.  You can still see them and go to plan B.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.