Author Topic: Sunset Surprise  (Read 1746 times)

Offline speckspotter

• Team IceShanty Regular
Sunset Surprise
« on: Dec 04, 2023, 07:59 AM »
Has anyone caught burbot on Zelma in the past? I was surprised to land a small one last night just after sundown, Okay....I was disappointed it wasn't a nice walleye.
 I know folks have discussed the lack of burbot in Blackstrap, so it was interesting to catch one two reservoirs down the line.

Offline ToonFisher

• Team IceShanty Addict
Re: Sunset Surprise
« Reply #1 on: Dec 04, 2023, 08:19 PM »
Rare catch! Good job.

Offline speckspotter

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #2 on: Dec 06, 2023, 06:37 PM »
I managed a remarkable fishing feat today by prying Churchill River off of the Blackstrap ice and exposing him to "The Zelma Experience". We had a slow day with a big pike, a few small walleye and a couple dozen perch. The fish were there, but just not in the biting mood. We both gave our new electric augers a workout in search of the eager eaters, but most marks just gave us the fin. CR was somewhat sanguine about the outing, remarking "more perch than on Blackstrap".

Hopefully that will not be the case for long.

Offline Churchill River

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #3 on: Dec 06, 2023, 07:07 PM »
S.S., if you can guarantee me weather like today without a breath of wind, I will tag along every time.  Being able to hole hop like we did today without gloves on was a bonus. 

Offline GooseHunter1

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #4 on: Dec 06, 2023, 07:33 PM »
Good to know things seem to be picking up there! 

Offline saskbucks

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #5 on: Dec 07, 2023, 07:17 AM »
I managed a remarkable fishing feat today by prying Churchill River off of the Blackstrap ice and exposing him to "The Zelma Experience". We had a slow day with a big pike, a few small walleye and a couple dozen perch. The fish were there, but just not in the biting mood. We both gave our new electric augers a workout in search of the eager eaters, but most marks just gave us the fin. CR was somewhat sanguine about the outing, remarking "more perch than on Blackstrap".

Hopefully that will not be the case for long.

Which new auger did you purchase?  Sounds like a great day outside.  One of those a guy dreams of. No wind and warm. 
Get outside.  It does a body and mind good!

Offline speckspotter

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #6 on: Dec 07, 2023, 10:01 AM »
I went with the Strikemaster 40 volt. I had a chance to try a friend's last year at the end of the season. The heavens parted and the angels sang a song that said "why didn't you do this a long time ago"?

Offline saskbucks

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #7 on: Dec 07, 2023, 09:50 PM »
I hear it’s a great unit!  I just picked up the Ion Alpha Plus.  Saved some cash and gift cards.  It went on sale.
Get outside.  It does a body and mind good!

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.