Author Topic: Blackstrap 2022-2023  (Read 34215 times)

Offline DoubleHookSet

• IceShanty Rookie
Re: Blackstrap 2022-2023
« Reply #180 on: Feb 14, 2023, 08:38 PM »
They always have the pancake breakfast in the town hall.  For people walking out from the town hall, it isn't that far.  Just a little South East of the hall.  About 1/2 of the people walk out and 1/2 drive out.

Thanks CR

Offline Churchill River

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #181 on: Feb 17, 2023, 08:01 PM »
The last 6 to 8 days the perch are biting really good in the morning and then shutting down in the afternoon.  If anyone is thinking of going out, go early and leave early.  Come another week or two, they should start to bite all day long as we are nearing March. 

Offline Cholo

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #182 on: Feb 19, 2023, 07:06 PM »
Well made it out to the Strap today , used the north boat launch to access the lake, slid all the way down ,brakes were useless. When I left there was a truck ahead of me  trying to exit via the north launch, he got maybe halfway up and slid back down. After seeing that I exited via the south launch which was much better.

Offline Hatandboots

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #183 on: Feb 21, 2023, 11:56 PM »
I did the exact same thing Cholo. I'm thinking if it's like that next weekend of dumping some sand and pea gravel down the ruts

I was pretty worried I might slide into something weird while going backwards.

Offline speckspotter

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #184 on: Feb 24, 2023, 07:24 PM »
Interesting day of tent fishing on Blackstrap. The morning started very slowly, with the fish appearing lethargic on camera. Around 11:30 things picked up for a bit. The bite was sporadic, and there didn't seem to be a consistent pattern to what the perch wanted. It seemed that a change of bait and / or presentation was necessary to fire the fish up once they quit hitting on what I was offering. The camera was really valuable to see how they reacted to different lures and techniques. In the end, quite a few were caught and released. Lots of nice eaters in the 9" plus range were returned to grow that magic extra inch. There was almost never a time when the perch weren't on camera.
One pike scattered the perch as it cruised past and a few walleye made an appearance as well; including one small one that swam directly up to the camera lens and bumped it before swimming away. One nice walleye got aggressively agitated by some vigorous jigging, but it swam off after a couple of false charges.

Oh, and the North ramp was fine going up in 2WD. No backsliding today.

Offline speckspotter

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #185 on: Mar 06, 2023, 04:30 PM »
After a couple weeks of lethargy, the perch seemed to have regained their appetites today. At noon it got crazy. Always a good thing when you have to pull your dead stick because you can't keep up. Hopefully this continues and some kids can enjoy milder weather and a good bite on the weekend.

Offline Hatandboots

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #186 on: Mar 07, 2023, 09:47 AM »
Hows the jack situation? It's supposed to be better in march right? Bigger and more aggressive?

Offline speckspotter

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #187 on: Mar 07, 2023, 01:03 PM »
None of the pike that have swam by me the last while have been very aggressive with my offerings, and I always have a spare rod ready to drop something flashy and enticing in case a pike or walleye shows up. Then again, I would be setting up shallower if I was really targeting pike.

Offline Hatandboots

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #188 on: Mar 07, 2023, 05:42 PM »
Has shallow been pretty reliable on the strap for pike? I've generally heard that, but I've seen so many big ones following the schools around in 20fow. I've never actually bothered to try shallow.

Offline Churchill River

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #189 on: Mar 07, 2023, 06:46 PM »
Was out a few times over the last 4 or 5 days.  One day I was into triple digits, the following day (same holes), only got 1/4 of the fish from the previous day.......so one day catching, the next day fishing.  So don't get to excited Speck :)  Make sure you take the kids their game boy (is there even game boys anymore, or more high tech games now), so they can entertain themselves for those slow days.

I did send a calendar down the hole and circled March just to make sure the fish new it was March madness.

Since I didn't go in the derby, does anyone have a report on how it went?

Offline Churchill River

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #190 on: Mar 09, 2023, 08:44 PM »
The bite was really good today until 3, and then they shut down.

For people coming out this weekend to move their shacks, both launches are in good shape.  Just a little icy.  You can take a better run at the South launch then the North one.

Offline Churchill River

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #191 on: Mar 10, 2023, 09:41 PM »
All the blowing today didn't do anything to the launches.  Both were really good when I came off today. 

Offline Hatandboots

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #192 on: Mar 14, 2023, 01:02 PM »
I went out Friday morning and, despite the wind, had some great fun. The morning bite 8-12 still seems best for me. It definitely dwindles off after, except for pike on the tipups. The walleye was a big suprise, it was the first time I just had one eat. I didn't have to work it at all.

I also went out Saturday but it was slower, and just as windy. Both launches were getting snowed into pretty good towards 2pm or so when I left. Good luck to everyone getting their shacks off!

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.