Author Topic: Multiple Hooks on tip-ups  (Read 1348 times)

Offline vipercat64

• Team IceShanty Regular
Multiple Hooks on tip-ups
« on: Jan 11, 2008, 08:57 PM »
Seeing as how we now have no ice due to the recent warm weather and rain, I am thinking about rerigging some of my tipups...

I fish primarily for perch, and dream of trout.  What I am considering is setting up threeway swivel, with a leader going down to a hook with a split shot sinker, and an extra hook off the third swivel.  My question is how long of a leader should I give the upper hook, and how long of a leader down to the lower hook? 

Any suggestions are appreciated.   :tipup: :tipup:
I love a flag!!!!

Offline river_scum

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • hook n cook
Re: Multiple Hooks on tip-ups
« Reply #1 on: Jan 13, 2008, 10:57 AM »
i supose you would have to experment, depending on water clearity. toss a tiny silver willow leaf blade in there while your at it too. attraction can only help!
real fishermen don't ask "where you catch those"

OANN the real story

- member here since -2003- IN.

Offline Ice Shark

• Team IceShanty Regular
Re: Multiple Hooks on tip-ups
« Reply #2 on: Jan 14, 2008, 08:48 PM »
I tried in the past to run multiples the way you are describing but always had the upper minnow get tangled up or hooked on the side of the hole when I had a fish on the bottom hook.  I still run 2 hooks w/ around 2-3ft of leader line but in this config.  Bottom hook, 4"-6", split shot (size depends on bait size), another 8"-12", second hook tied to main line with palomar knot, another 12" of leader, swivel and then tip-up line.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.