Author Topic: New 8x10 Bob House build\advice  (Read 19264 times)

Offline North End

• IceShanty Rookie
  • NorthEnd
New 8x10 Bob House build\advice
« on: Aug 01, 2014, 03:08 PM »
Looking to start building a new bob house.... over built an 8x10 the first go around (may have seen it on sunken island)...looking to make -same size -light weight -metal framing -metal roofing siding.... anyone have experience or advice to pass along on this?  Also interested in ideas to make the floor framing light but rugged....plan on putting it on regular skids. 

Thank you!

Offline Chris338378

• Team IceShantyholic
Re: New 8x10 Bob House build\advice
« Reply #1 on: Aug 01, 2014, 07:34 PM »
If you want to make the floor frame light and strong you could use aluminum channel but it's not cheap and on the more difficult side to weld together. 

Offline North End

• IceShanty Rookie
  • NorthEnd
« Reply #2 on: Aug 02, 2014, 08:54 AM »
Was thinking of stripping down a snowmobile trailer to the bare minimum....cutting off all unnecessary metal..... but not sure how much it weighs... (I like the aluminum idea but I have never welded aluminum... just old farm equipment  :)

Offline jellyroll44

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • may your lines be tight and your woman not so much
« Reply #3 on: Aug 03, 2014, 07:57 AM »
Buy a nice pop up shelter! Mine takes less than 5 to set up and take down, no dealing with snow, ice build up, or any other crap. Unless you live on the lake sheds are too much work! Plus I can fish where ever I want easily! Just my thoughts, but hard sides are a thing of the past!

Offline Cfilbert

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #4 on: Aug 03, 2014, 10:51 AM »
A hard side has its place. Mine will be used as a headquarters and for when the wind is really blowing.  Still have my popup shelter to scout out the lake and to jump on other lakes. I don't plan on using my hardside exclusivly.
Is the ice thick enough yet?

Offline Chris338378

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #5 on: Aug 03, 2014, 05:21 PM »
I disagree about hard sides being a thing of the past.  People custom build them and they are a reflection of the builder's likes and personalities.  If I had access to a lake where I could leave one up for the season I'd definitely do it. 

Most times aluminum is welded with the tig welding process but it can be done with a mig welder as long as you have the proper wire and gas.  One other thought is you can try to see if anyone knows a welder who might want to do it as a side job or a good welding shop that works for reasonable rates.

Offline jimmyrig

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #6 on: Aug 03, 2014, 07:55 PM »

Portables are nice, but nothing like having a nice hardside to call home for the winter. When I go fishing with my boys and my 2 year old daughter, the hardside allows me to get out there alot more, sometimes only for a couple of hours because that is all I can manage to find time for with family life being as crazy as it is. I do not like fishing out of portables, but I respect those that do.....I wouldn't say that a hardside is the thing of the past, it is just not for everybody I guess.

In general, we live in a world where people are always looking for the easiest way, and that is ok, but building a hardside and fishing with a hardside is great fun and very self satisfying for me and my family. Kind of a pastime for us....I enjoy the work and the benefits of it.

BTW,
I have welded plenty of aluminum fishing house frames of all designs and sizes, I would be glad to help you just send me a pm.

jimmy
that is thinking with your dipstick......jimmy

Offline North End

• IceShanty Rookie
  • NorthEnd
« Reply #7 on: Aug 04, 2014, 06:16 AM »
jimmyrig,

I pretty much go along with what you say.  Bringing the family out on the ice... in my last house I could have them fishing in no time.  I go out and fish on a bucket myself, but like to like to fish in the house when it is nasty out.  I have fished in a portable before but I enjoy having everything out there instead of setting up and packing up every day.  As far as finding and knowing where to fish just doing a bit of homework can keep you from having to make frequent moves.  I normally move my house about 3 times a season-ice permitting.  Jimmy how close to Alexandria, NH are you? 

Keep the advice coming, thank you!

Offline CAPITALCRAPPY

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #8 on: Aug 04, 2014, 06:51 AM »
 Remember if using metal on walls and roof to use  good insulation so it doesn't sweat when you heat it up.  Good luck and send pics as the build goes on.

Offline Rebelss

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
  • Inventor of Minnow Magic American Patriot
« Reply #9 on: Aug 04, 2014, 06:59 AM »
Buy a nice pop up shelter! Mine takes less than 5 to set up and take down, no dealing with snow, ice build up, or any other crap. Unless you live on the lake sheds are too much work! Plus I can fish where ever I want easily! Just my thoughts, but hard sides are a thing of the past!

Don't try to tell the guys in Minnesota that!   ::)

“The mass of men live lives of quiet desperation”  Thoreau

Offline JIGGIN-

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Go Go Get Em!
« Reply #10 on: Aug 04, 2014, 07:06 AM »
Welcome NewfoundNH to the site.

I see your from Alexandria too. Nice.

I don't know if he is still building them but if you know Brooksey, he has built several great metal runners and bottom frames for bobhouses. I know speaking with him late in the season, he was planning to build 2 more and then stop. I put in a request for one of them but haven't seen him this summer. I believe he was building them 5 x 8 or 6 x 8. Then you build your house from there up.

On Newfound, you cant beat a hard sided house. It seems like it is always windy out there and I've been out there where I've actually seen my walls move in and out....crazy windy. I don't select the days that I fish. I'm out there every weekend regardless of what mother nature throws out. Some days it's a lot of work. If you have a hard side, you need to maintain your house. It's just the way it works. Luckily there is enough of us on Newfound that will help each other out one way or another.

Some things to consider when building a house:
Tall runners so you can move easily in deep snow instead of plowing. I use 2x12" for runners. I spliced together buckets to go into my holes so no draft comes into the house. You need to splice together 2 buckets, rivet them together to reach into the ice below.
Snow Skis on your runners. Get them at the dump free.
If you use 2x's for runners, plywood each side of your runners so they don't split.
Never use pressure treat (several reasons) but due to the moisture (arsenic) they will freeze and split easily.
I nut & bolt on my runners to my house frame. This way if there is a problem (they split or break) I can replace them on the ice. Just unbolt your broken runner, take home, trace your bolt hole patterns on the new runner, drill them out and bolt back on. I've had to do this in the past before. Very easy.
Never let your runners freeze in. Always keep your house jacked up off the ice.

I insulated my floor, first by putting down plywood, then ridged foam insulation on top and then luan on top of that. Sandwich your floor insulation so it doesn't blow out from under your house and gives a little spring to your floor.

For siding, some use luan however it rots and gets moldy which needs to be replaced every year or 2. Metal heats up and will melt the ice around the house. I've seen vinyl siding but always wondered if it would become brittle in cold temps and break while pushing on the house. Fiberglass panels seem to be the best in terms of durability and lightness, if you can find them.

The problem or the challenge is to make your house rugged yet light. The 2 don't really go together that well....if it's rugged, it will be heavy. I put most of my weight in the floor as that is the part that takes the biggest pounding.

Think about adding a stove box, it will increase your floor space and get your stove / heater out of your way. Some call it a bump out.
Well worth it. Keep your heater or stove as low as possible to the floor too. I use propane and have sliding windows for fresh air ventilation.

Dont make your house air tight either. No need. If it is, add ventilation or sliding windows.

Always jack up your house so you have good air flow underneath so it freezes up under the house. Dont be afraid to bump your house from time to time if you have water under your house and it doesn't look like it's going to freeze. Better to be safe than sorry later. The work you do today, makes it easier (less work) tomorrow so to speak. Some folks like to bank up the snow around their house which is good. At the end of the day or weekend, you should remove that snow bank around the house to get air flow. Snow banks will hold in the heat.

Lastly, bring your radio, go to 5.5 and holler out.

Hope some of this helps you and hope to see you out there!

Offline North End

• IceShanty Rookie
  • NorthEnd
« Reply #11 on: Aug 04, 2014, 09:05 AM »
CAPITALCRAPPY,

Will you still have sweating if you have propper ventalation?

JIGGIN,

I am on board with all your advice.... sounds great... question if you do metal siding, is there anything you can do to prevent metal from radiating heat to the ice?  I had Luan on my last house and the stuff got punky pretty fast...it is a big juggling act to get size, strength and weight to optimize....  I do not know Brooksey.....anywhere near Walker Farm?  I will post pictures as I go... if I get a chance I will show you some of my last house as well...

Offline JIGGIN-

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Go Go Get Em!
« Reply #12 on: Aug 04, 2014, 09:47 AM »
So....my house is sided with metal, Brown Trim coil. Some times during sunny days, the side of the house gets so hot you can barely touch it. I know of some folks that have painted their house black (bottom half of the house) yet is still gets hot.

PM me....

Offline johnnyrottendadto4

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #13 on: Aug 04, 2014, 06:07 PM »
I had a hard side built on a trailer. Worked well until I sold my truck. Then it sat there with really no way to move it to the ice or more importantly on the ice. I received a pop up soft side this year for a birthday gift. Both certainly have their advantages but I really do enjoy the soft side a lot more do to being able to try different areas and it fits in my car along with all my gear.

Offline JIGGIN-

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Go Go Get Em!
« Reply #14 on: Aug 05, 2014, 06:47 AM »
Last night I herculined my bobhouse floor. Truck bed lining you paint on.

I try to do it every couple of years as it wears down from my creepers and rolling chairs. 1 gallon is enough for 4 coats. I only use 2 coats and then have enough for another 2 coats next year or the year after.

Good stuff.

ps: Stay away from the Restore stuff from HomeDepot. The stuff doesn't work and turns to mud during the winter...... bad.

Some other work done to the house this summer, replaced my runners, installed new LED lights and fixed my solar panels (replacing one) so they can be angled during the day.
Still much to do.......

Offline North End

• IceShanty Rookie
  • NorthEnd
« Reply #15 on: Aug 05, 2014, 07:29 AM »
Jiggin,  Will get over at some point, I work rotating 12 hr shifts so my schedule is always changing.

ALL,

Is it best to have a hole for jiggin in your corners, so you would be facing the wall or your back in the corner, with a hole in more?  I was starting to think if a hole too close to the outside might not be a good thing being close to the runners.  I like the idea of have the holes further apart, but not sure if its the best idea...but when you are jigging with a heavy lure 10 - 15' off bottom I dont want my lines getting tangled with another hole... thoughts?

Offline North End

• IceShanty Rookie
  • NorthEnd
« Reply #16 on: Aug 05, 2014, 07:46 AM »
What do you use around your house to block wind besides snow?  What have you tried? What hasn't worked?

Offline JIGGIN-

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Go Go Get Em!
« Reply #17 on: Aug 05, 2014, 11:12 AM »
Good questions NewfoundNH.

So.....I've seen houses 8x8's that you sat in the corners (back against the wall) and faced each other with the holes towards the center of the house. There were corner seats built into the house with lids that lifted for storage. Comes down to personal preference IMHO.

Good:
You can see each other for chatting, socializing etc.....
Built in seats had storage underneath.

Bad:
The holes are closer to each other and more centered under the house. If they connected via opening up, it could lead to big problems.
A bit uncomfortable having your back in a corner for resting (corner and straight wall)
Reduces the floor space on your floor. Now you have holes in the middle of your house.
A bit heavier with built in seats if you go this way..
If someone in the house drops something, there is a better chance it will go down a hole.

Your house will be 8x10 so the holes wont be so centered under the house.

Having your holes in the corner so your back is facing the middle of the house:
The good:
Holes are a bit further apart
You have a bit more floor space in the center of the house....instead of holes to walk over.
You have a wall that you can attach stuff to i.e.: Shelf, Fold down table to eat on, jig stick holders, jig holders etc....
You can look out your window without having to turn side ways or around. You would be looking straight out of them. make your windows at sitting height so you dont have to stand up every time to look out of them to see your tip ups.
If someone drops something, chances are a bit more limited of going down a hole.
When catching a laker, you can throw your line in the middle of the house instead of towards the corner of the house. (not much room in the corners).

The bad:
Your back is to everyone, however you can turn around if you have the right seats.
Crowded in the middle of the house with people.

Again, your house is 8x10 so it wont be too crowded with people. Psycho and Houndog both have 7x10 houses. Both have their holes in the corners of their house with a middle hole (some what centered) for their underwater camera. This way they can pan the camera and see all 4 holes fairly good.

My holes are right next to my runner in a straight line. Your house will / should be jacked up so no issues with the holes being next to your runners.

Just some thoughts on hole placement......

For blocking wind, I use 2 buckets put together so they are long (I have 2x12 runners) and a piece of carpet or rubber padding with a piece of plywood around bucket to create a gasket to seal out the wind. At the end of the day, you remove your buckets so you can freeze up the ice under your house.
I use 2 designs:
Laker Taker's design is to piece 2 buckets together cutting the bottom out of one and riveted and duct tape together. The bottom of the bucket goes into your 10" hole.
The problem with this is that you have to constantly kick your buckets from time to time to make sure they dont freeze in. Not a bad design but requires some work. If they do freeze in, it can be a chore getting them out. (possible destruction of the buckets).

My design is to take 2 buckets and cut off a 1/3 of the bottom of one bucket. Fit them together so the are hour glass shaped (bottom to bottom). The bottom of the bucket (now the top of one upside down) goes onto the ice and not in your holes. At the end of the day, you remove the top half (if frozen in) and chip out the bottom portion to remove. You can chip out the bottom of the bucket however you cant with Laker Takers design.
The difference is how much maintenance you want to do during the day.

I've see some folks use plywood as "skirting" around their house too. Seems to work.

The biggest thing you need to do in my opinion is to make sure your house can get cold air underneath when your done fishing for the day. Let it freeze back up but you must keep your runners jacked up. It suxs having to chop them out. Having your house sealed up will create water under your house. Eventually this water will get deep and freeze, then create some potential problems.

Hope this helps. Long winded I know......

Offline North End

• IceShanty Rookie
  • NorthEnd
« Reply #18 on: Aug 05, 2014, 12:11 PM »
Don't worry about long winded I aint too proud to take advice. Definitely a lot of good points! In the next couple day hopefully I can figure out how to get a few pictures up...

Offline fish-kabob

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #19 on: Aug 05, 2014, 06:37 PM »
cant wait for the pic's! here is one i am trying to design so it fit in the back of a truck.. folded of course like this portable cabin! the wall screw together with Allen wrenches  made in the walls are t-nuts or hurricane nut that hold it all together. all it is is screwed together edge to edge view video to see what i am looking at what i am thinking is building it this way cause there are no snowmobile aloud on my lake or atv's   i can drag it out piece by piece and set it up see the point. i was thinking a 6 or 8 by 10 or 12 foot  by of course 6 foot tall. any ways the skies the limit with these shanties as you know and have witnessed lol's any ways can't wait for the pictures...

Offline North End

• IceShanty Rookie
  • NorthEnd
« Reply #20 on: Aug 07, 2014, 05:32 AM »

Here are a couple pictures of the last one...She now resides in the woods used for storing sugaring supplies.... 
will try to find some inside pictures...

Headed out today to try to find some materials for the new build...will bring the camera.

Offline North End

• IceShanty Rookie
  • NorthEnd
« Reply #21 on: Aug 07, 2014, 06:24 AM »

Saved the roofing off of my old barn might be able to use some of that....

Offline Cfilbert

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #22 on: Aug 07, 2014, 06:50 AM »
This is one of the most frustrating parts of this project.   Locating all the materials.
Is the ice thick enough yet?

Offline JIGGIN-

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Go Go Get Em!
« Reply #23 on: Aug 07, 2014, 09:21 AM »
WOW!!!

Looks like the PARTY'S at NewfoundNH house this year!!! Awesome cook smoker / cooking idea! Troutfreak would love cooking on that instead of the small propane stoves we make him cook on now.....kidding.

Seems your supplies are coming together quite nicely. Nice work.

Offline jimmyrig

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #24 on: Aug 07, 2014, 12:17 PM »
You will be happy if you decide to use the trailer for the base, that is definitely a great way to go. If possible use the skinniest tire available, I have tried both wide tires like atv tires and the skinny road tires. I have found the skinny tires much better hands down. Even in the deep snow there is so much less resistance while pulling.

Keep the pics coming,

Jimmy
that is thinking with your dipstick......jimmy

Offline NH Trout Fisherman

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #25 on: Aug 07, 2014, 04:27 PM »
Thanks for sharing your pics and report. Please continue to post your progress. Its always cool/interesting to see what ideas guys come up with!  :thumbsup:

On another note... I have to laugh because I think this one thread alone has more views and posts than the entire season over on MFF... kidding...kinda.  ::)

Offline North End

• IceShanty Rookie
  • NorthEnd
« Reply #26 on: Aug 08, 2014, 05:18 AM »
I will keep the pictures coming, I just keep having this thing called work that keeps getting in the way of what I want to do.

Offline fish-kabob

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #27 on: Aug 08, 2014, 07:59 PM »
just a head up fleet farm has a great deal on small batteries i think 17.99 for the 12 volt style 9 amp hour  and 6 volt 4.5 ah for 6.99 ...  couple these with a cheap solar panel mite save money that or you could tow them out there... the batteries are listed in their weekly add.

any how to get amp hour needed for the whole day: you take and add up the watts used by the lights the only circuit you can really use is a parallel circuit if you need help with it let me know.  like each bulb uses let say 15 watts for four lights would equal 60 watts divide it by 12 volt to get your amp hours.   this is if you use 12 volt batteries for the set up...

any how if you need more help let me or the others know so let say you using 5 amps a hour with the example given  you figure a 9 amp hour battery will only last 2 hour at that rate with all lights on  if you need more then 2 hours aprox you may want to parallel those batteries...so 2 batteries in parallel double it to 4 hours 3 batteries to 6 hours etc... etc ...  just got to do the math and use ohm's law to figure out the "load" of the set up .....

love seeing these ice shacks and what people do to them  and put in them get me inspired please keep the pictures coming....

Offline North End

• IceShanty Rookie
  • NorthEnd
« Reply #28 on: Aug 09, 2014, 05:08 AM »
FISHKABOB,

I was thinking about getting a string of LED lights  something light the ones people use for underwater lights for fishing....  Thoughts?

What do people suggest for solar panels? 

Offline fish-kabob

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #29 on: Aug 09, 2014, 06:31 PM »

led's work great another idea i had was:

that is a idea mite also want to look in to reflectix's at home depot or lowes home improvement stores it is a silver backed insulation that reflects light. that or Mylar from a hydroponics supply house.   you can even staple it to the walls to make the room glow very very bright better then a lantern. i have been even playing with this idea for portable shacks.   using heat shrink tubing to adhere it to the cross bars of flip overs. 

or like in your case  make your own "cross bars"  out of pvc pipe.  with the l.e.d.'s heat shrink-ed to the pipe with Mylar around the pipe to reflect more. then connect them all to the batteries  i would go with the super bright white l.e.d.'s sold on e-bay but that is just me.    also make sure they are water proof and use clear heat shrink tube to adhere them so you can see them when they light up.

as for solar panels:
 i would make it so you could take it with you either charge batteries at home or  solar panel  theft is a big problem is the truth so much stuff around here gets stolen from people! if your in a less crime area of any of the countries mite be worth a shot to use solar panels?         

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.