Author Topic: portable hub shelter  (Read 409 times)

Offline jbear80

• IceShanty Rookie
portable hub shelter
« on: Jan 19, 2024, 11:28 AM »
Hi all,
New to the forum looking at buying the eskimo outbreak 650xd or 850xd. I have 5 kids, 3 of which currently come out with me every time and the other 2, im sure will follow soon. debating on the size i would need to have everyone out of the elements on those bitterly cold days. any suggestions?
Also, has anyone used a spray on waterproofing on their shelter? I have read a lot and condensation on the inside seems to be a common issue.  Would one spray both the inside and out to protect both sides from rain/snow on exterior and condensation from soaking the fabric inside?

Thanks in advance - Justin

Offline Whytie

• Team IceShanty Addict
Re: portable hub shelter
« Reply #1 on: Jan 19, 2024, 11:37 AM »
with 6 people I'd go 850xd from Eskimo. Keep everyone in a line when fishing to prevent tangles and you still have 2 ways in and out. To help with condensation I run a fan from the ceiling and leave the door open a bit. most of the condensation will come from running propane heat. Depending on the weather/wind you may need 2 heaters.

I usually bring my shack inside at the end of a trip to air/dry out. it doesn't need to be set up just opened up and remove the tie back straps to it can air/dry out.

Offline cwavs1982

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #2 on: Jan 19, 2024, 12:25 PM »
The 850 would be good for the amount of people you will have out fishing, the 650 is still a good manageable size and may work out for you even now.  The 850 is going to be a bit heavier, and depending on how you are getting out to your holes, this will be something that you will need to consider. 

With the smaller kids out there, you may/could only punch one hole for them, will help to keep their attention longer. 

As for the sprays on the hubs - I wouldn't worry about it.  Like was mentioned, inside moisture will come from the propane - keep a crack in the door or window, and don't make it tropical inside and you can manage the moisture inside.  If it gets slightly wet, set it up once you get home and let it dry out. 
I do hunt, and I do fish, and I don't apologize to anybody for hunting and fishing - Norman Schwarzkopf

Offline hardwater diehard

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #3 on: Jan 19, 2024, 12:50 PM »
I have the 650XD ...I have yet to be on ice with the set up .I did set it up a couple time and one time in particular I was able to get 5 adults in there comfortably with a six person in there "visiting" . We were seated a comfortable space apart ...director chair ..two sports chairs a bucket or two for seating options . I believe I can  jig fish 4 with ease ...a 5th person can be squeezed in if needed. If you tip up fish it will seat 5 peeking out their respective windows. As far as seating a full back directors chair is an all day comfortable option especially for jigging . Some Lakco Hub shelfs will keep things organized some

As far as spraying the fabric ..I am not familiar with any manufacturer recommendation on any product...best not to do it as it will probably effect the breathability of the fabric . These are designed to be in the winter elements .

As far as condensation ...propane heater give off water vapor as does breathing ...using a fan to move the will help immensely.

https://www.landmsupply.com/lakco-hub-shelter-shelf

https://www.amazon.com/Rechargeable-Portable-180%C2%B0Head-Rotation-Operated/dp/B09NN1VLKN/ref=sr_1_10?crid=2A9LHQ8JLRYG3&keywords=Camping+Fan+with+LED+Lantern%2C+Rechargeable+Battery+Powered+Fan&qid=1705690124&sprefix=camping+fan+with+led+lantern%2C+rechargeable+battery+powered+fan%2Caps%2C457&sr=8-10

For lights I like the USB  10 footcolor lights

https://www.amazon.com/LED-Rope-Light-Lantern-Outdoor/dp/B07DX8FH47/ref=sr_1_1_sspa?crid=J6U01J0UFMPF&keywords=luminoodle&qid=1705690197&sprefix=luminoodle%2Caps%2C609&sr=8-1-spons&sp_csd=d2lkZ2V0TmFtZT1zcF9hdGY&th=1

Give a man a fish he eats for a day .Teach a man to ice fish he has an obsession for a lifetime

Offline WizBang

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #4 on: Jan 19, 2024, 04:07 PM »
I have the 850.  Its well made.  I have 3 kids and once you get 4 chairs, table setup, buckets, gear etc it fills up quick.  Only complaint is I wish it had the optional floor like the clam. I ended up using a big piece of waxed cotton.

Did I mention its big and heavy.  I wouldnt want to carry it more than 20 feet.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.