Author Topic: Crappie help?  (Read 1246 times)

Offline FishGut

• Team IceShanty Addict
Crappie help?
« on: Feb 26, 2010, 02:02 PM »
A city lake has been growing some nice crappie over the last year or two (12-15 in.). For the first time today, while fishing a brush pile for gills, I hooked up with over a dozen 3" crappie. Where (or when) should I start looking for the bigger fish? Hit the brush at dusk? Deeper water? Any help would be appreciated...
Nebraska certified Fishing Instructor

Offline lives2fish

• Team IceShanty Regular
Re: Crappie help?
« Reply #1 on: Feb 26, 2010, 02:37 PM »
try using a little bigger bait. You wont get as many hits but they will most likely be better quality. I've seen crappie take shiners that are just an inch smaller than they are.
No, I mean I REALLY REALLY LOVE TO FISH!!!

Offline fishermantim4

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #2 on: Feb 26, 2010, 02:45 PM »
what were you using for bait today? and have you ever fished the lake at dusk? how deep is the lake generally
WINDOW FISH!!!!!

Offline bucketbass

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • rippin lips
« Reply #3 on: Feb 26, 2010, 03:24 PM »
just my 2 cents but most bodies of water are polluted being close to cities
thats the first thing i would look into  :-\
then i would try minnows for the bigger fish

Offline FishGut

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #4 on: Feb 26, 2010, 05:29 PM »
The lake is clean, having undergone a multi-million $ rehab. Depths range from shallow spawning bays, to 4-6 foot flats, to basins around 14-16 ft. Lots of healthy weed beds during warm water. I was using a #12 marmooska that used to be green/chartreuse, but has lost all its paint and is now metallic. Tipping with waxies. The brush pile was in a small cove, 12 FOW. LIVE minnows are illegal, to lessen the chance of undesirable fish being added to the lake. I can legally "trade up" by catching small panfish and using those as bait. Dead minnows are OK (should I want to use minnow heads or something similar). No, I haven't gone at dusk yet because of work scheduling. Evenings come free for the next three weeks starting Monday, though... ;D

Nebraska certified Fishing Instructor

Offline jimyoumook

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #5 on: Feb 26, 2010, 05:43 PM »
what lake are ya fishing

Offline jimyoumook

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #6 on: Feb 26, 2010, 05:44 PM »
never mind

Offline Irrgang131

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #7 on: Feb 26, 2010, 06:14 PM »
Blue gill are prime indicators of water quality.  Many cities stock them in there water supplies for part of a detection program to tell if their h2o is polluted or terrorized.

Offline wetboots

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #8 on: Feb 26, 2010, 06:43 PM »
I would start in the deepest hole in the lake and use a hali with a perch eye or gill eye for bait.   This lake looks small so ther might not be enough oxygen shallow .   

Offline teardrop

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #9 on: Feb 26, 2010, 08:06 PM »
On the local lakes in northern Indiana we jig tube jigs tipped with waxworms or spikes. Experiment with colors  but it does make a difference. We usually use 1/8 oz. jigs or smaller and usually two jigs a foot or two apart on the same rod. Depends on the lake, but usually first and last light is generally the best time, but sometimes all day long. Just some thing different you might give a try. hope it works Teardrop

Offline river_scum

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • hook n cook
« Reply #10 on: Feb 27, 2010, 07:05 AM »
im with the guys that suggested larger minnows. also go at dusk/night with lantern light and fish till at least midnight. sometimes they dont start till later in the evening and other nights it a flury at dark, or both. 
real fishermen don't ask "where you catch those"

OANN the real story

- member here since -2003- IN.

Offline mealworm

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • summer sucks
« Reply #11 on: Feb 27, 2010, 08:06 AM »
im with the guys that suggested larger minnows. also go at dusk/night with lantern light and fish till at least midnight. sometimes they dont start till later in the evening and other nights it a flury at dark, or both. 
took the words right out off my key board

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.