The ice fishing Montana boards are sponsored by:

Author Topic: looking for ice fishing coach holter  (Read 2015 times)

Offline Bigskyexp1

• IceShanty Rookie
  • Mike, s.
looking for ice fishing coach holter
« on: Feb 18, 2018, 02:11 PM »
Hi it’s my first time to try ice fishing I’m staged up and ready to fish holter this week staying at local guest ranch in wolf creek have all the equipment including 2 snowmobiles,insulated hut,heater,10 inch propane auger and the new ice helix7 g2 unit.....

Offline PerchPounderMT

• Team IceShanty Addict
Re: looking for ice fishing coach holter
« Reply #1 on: Feb 19, 2018, 08:27 AM »
There are guides in Wolf Creek
Dont ask

Offline Griztrax

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #2 on: Feb 19, 2018, 09:22 AM »
Not exactly sure what you are looking for.  Are you looking for someone to go with you and teach you how to use all that fancy equipment you have and teach you how to ice fish? 

Offline PerchPounderMT

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #3 on: Feb 19, 2018, 09:26 AM »
I only go with guys that have a Helix 9,Helix 7 is so last season...
Dont ask

Offline Born Late

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #4 on: Feb 19, 2018, 09:49 AM »
Well, good luck and enjoy the new hobby. This is the kind of week that could cause some folks to quit.
YOU are the only one who can decide if the ice is safe enough for you.

Offline Bigskyexp1

• IceShanty Rookie
  • Mike, s.
« Reply #5 on: Feb 19, 2018, 04:56 PM »
I have to say today was a good day for the first time ever ice fishing after braving the temps trues and not even putting up a hut I just tried to understand how to use the equipment I just invested in with no prior knowledge other then google and talking to the Shaun at the Exxon in wolf creek and yes I tried to hire a guide but Wolfcreek angler is fly fishing only FYI I landed 14 perch half of which were in a 30 minute period during mid afternoon  the lake where I fished is in good shape all my holes 20 of them where 12+ inch’s with a snow cover of 3 to 9 inches at most.It was a most excilerating first experience and I’m way to hardcore to give up easily why do you think I invested my hard earned dollars to do it right the first time it’s my style. Instead of blowing 2grand going to Mexico I did this some of these comments are to those who responded good luck out there and yes I’m considering doing tourneys  in the coming years god willing,  when I find the right fishing buddy. My background is construction and I work as hard as I play! Good luck out there safety first!

Offline Griztrax

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #6 on: Feb 19, 2018, 05:17 PM »
Congrats on your first outing and thanks for the report.  Careful or you might get addicted like the rest of us on here.

Offline coldcreekchris

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #7 on: Feb 19, 2018, 07:45 PM »
congrats on getting the fever....a manual auger and rod reel combo and a tin of maggots....$75...and you still coulda gone to mexico... I hear ya tho... I am somewhere in the middle of most...got about a thousand invested in my gear..maybe a little more....enjoy..no going back

Offline PerchPounderMT

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #8 on: Feb 20, 2018, 08:48 AM »
Half of the fun of ice fishing is the adventure of being out there on your own figuring out the lake and the fish.Canyon Ferry perch derb is just up the road from you and one of the most laid back tourneys of the year.Drive half as afar and go to the silos,start marking spots for next season.(ice is safer and lasts way longer as well)
Dont ask

Offline Bigskyexp1

• IceShanty Rookie
  • Mike, s.
« Reply #9 on: Feb 20, 2018, 06:05 PM »
Hi guys thanks for the positive responses was trying to upload some pictures but here in wolf creek where I’m at at the 7r guestranch verizon is not an option and their WiFi is ok but was taking way to long to continue. Omg I limited out 50 perch today first time setting up my hut . I just want to say Shaun at the Exxon in wolf creek really helped me with my quest he takes the time to listen and offered sound advice . The conditions are awesome at holter and the big 6 to 7 year old perch I was reading about is why I decided to make this my first experience. Be here a few more days to a month haha I wish!good luck out there and remember safety first!.

Offline BloodShotP

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #10 on: Feb 20, 2018, 06:41 PM »
How old are you and where ya from?

Offline Perch-Eye

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #11 on: Feb 20, 2018, 10:55 PM »
If that is the answer to limiting out on perch I'm going to bring my sleds up there too.

Ken............

Offline PerchPounderMT

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #12 on: Feb 21, 2018, 08:45 AM »
Your week in Adamsville probably cost more than a trip to Hell Creek and cabin rental.
Dont ask

Offline Bigskyexp1

• IceShanty Rookie
  • Mike, s.
« Reply #13 on: Feb 21, 2018, 06:36 PM »
Just reporting in  ice was measured at 15 inches where we fished it was a gr8 day Shaun had a day off and joined me damn I lost all the contests vs him but I don’t feel bad I limited out so did he but he also pulled in 2 lings  and 1 nice rainbow (3+lbs 20 inch plus) off the bottom good times for sure! Have fun out there and remember safety first!

Offline BloodShotP

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #14 on: Feb 21, 2018, 07:22 PM »
I’m not sure if you’re aware but there is a page for holter fishing reports. Feel free to update daily on your limits of fish there, and hope you enjoy a lot of company on the ice because a ton of people, who you may or may not want to fish with read these. Not being a dick but there is something to be said for keeping some things in life  amongst those close to you.

Offline BloodShotP

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #15 on: Feb 21, 2018, 07:24 PM »
And yes I’m aware holter is no secret. It all contributes though.

Offline Bigskyexp1

• IceShanty Rookie
  • Mike, s.
« Reply #16 on: Feb 21, 2018, 09:03 PM »
So noted but when it comes to ice fishing my mind goes to the movies, grumpy old men for example anyone that wants, to take time to go out on the ice is always welcome next to me unless they prove to be morons then you get a fish thrown in your back seat .goodnight have fun and remember safety first!

Offline coldcreekchris

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #17 on: Feb 22, 2018, 03:18 AM »
...to quote Rick james....cocaine is one helluva  a drug...

Offline PerchPounderMT

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #18 on: Feb 23, 2018, 08:52 AM »
So noted but when it comes to ice fishing my mind goes to the movies, grumpy old men for example anyone that wants, to take time to go out on the ice is always welcome next to me unless they prove to be morons then you get a fish thrown in your back seat .goodnight have fun and remember safety first!
If thats the experience you are looking for you are at the right spot
Dont ask

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.