Author Topic: K-Bay  (Read 16521 times)

Offline FF/EMT Axman

• IceShanty Rookie
Re: K-Bay
« Reply #60 on: Mar 07, 2013, 12:25 AM »
Am on ice at WhirlAGig right now.  Little to no snow. Ice is at least 8" in holes I've punched.  Wind is blowing pretty good out of the north.  Lots of tents most are on the smooth ice.  Lots of ATV traffic.  Not hearing of many fish.

Did you/anyone do any good out there?
"Shhhhh...they're down there sniffin' my jig..."

Offline Chris Raymond

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Lifelong Outdoorsman
« Reply #61 on: Mar 07, 2013, 09:46 AM »
Did you/anyone do any good out there?

I ended up with two, heard of onsies and twosies here and there by others that were talking loudly around me.  Not the fishfest that it was in the preceeding week or two. 
Chris Raymond

Offline chasepalosaari

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #62 on: Mar 07, 2013, 01:18 PM »
Anyone been out to the reef out from the Houghton/baraga line? Planning on making the run on Sunday

Offline ER1993

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #63 on: Mar 07, 2013, 03:35 PM »
Anyone been out to the reef out from the Houghton/baraga line? Planning on making the run on Sunday

Been out there for over a week.  Suppose to be south winds starting tonight but started already today when we left. Wont take much for some of that ice to leave, Especially where I was yesterday north up on the reef. A few cracks were open a foot early in the week but closed up now but wont take much to open again. "heard" of a sled goin through a pressure crack on the Houghton side yesterday. I have been going from the east shore.

Offline chasepalosaari

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #64 on: Mar 07, 2013, 05:51 PM »
Been out there for over a week.  Suppose to be south winds starting tonight but started already today when we left. Wont take much for some of that ice to leave, Especially where I was yesterday north up on the reef. A few cracks were open a foot early in the week but closed up now but wont take much to open again. "heard" of a sled goin through a pressure crack on the Houghton side yesterday. I have been going from the east shore.

How much ice is there? Wheelers making the run?

Offline FF/EMT Axman

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #65 on: Mar 07, 2013, 05:52 PM »
FINALLY gonna get out to the Whirl-I-Gig around noon tomorrow..!!! After waiting all winter I hope we don't get skunked...LOL

Offline chasepalosaari

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #66 on: Mar 07, 2013, 08:02 PM »
Holy krumps! So how much ice is there? And are there wheelers out there? Oh and how has the fishing been. Feel free to PM me if you don't feel like giving out certain info

Offline sunup

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Safety first. The fish will wait!
« Reply #67 on: Mar 07, 2013, 08:11 PM »
Chase, keep in mind that this stacked stuff has a lot of sail area above and below the ice to help get it moving.  Warm days and cracks opening up; this could leave in a hurry.Keep your eyes and ears open and watch the wind.

Offline ER1993

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #68 on: Mar 07, 2013, 08:26 PM »
I have seen a lot of ice move in minutes over the years on the reef, Point abbaye and Huron Islands. Not much to hold you in once you are out in the big part of the lake.

Offline chasepalosaari

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #69 on: Mar 07, 2013, 08:53 PM »
This was 1.7 miles off of the red rocks where they moved the road...

Offline Flag UP

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #70 on: Mar 08, 2013, 11:09 AM »
My wife and I will be out from Whirl-I-Gig tomorrow. We will be trying out our new Eskimo shelters for the first time. If you see a pair of red Eskimo Quickfish 2s out there that is us.

Offline bigmike7272

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #71 on: Mar 08, 2013, 04:39 PM »
I was out off the Whirl-I-Gig today with my fiancee and grandpa. "SLOW" is the best way to describe it. Fished from 9am-2pm. Out of the 3 of us we had 3 really light bites, heard the same thing from a few other people out there too.

Tell me and I'll forget. Show me and I'll remember some of it. Involve me and I will have lifetime knowledge.

-Anomymous

Offline updeerhunter

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #72 on: Mar 09, 2013, 07:54 PM »
Leaving whirl i gig today at two i left a black carhartt jacket on my tail gate when i took off. It fell off somewhere between there and chassell, im assuming it was just outside of the parking lot. It couldnt find it when i went back, i was wondering if someone might have picked it up?    Dan Saari 281-1441

Offline JokesNeverEnd

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #73 on: Mar 10, 2013, 09:37 PM »
PM sent updeerhunter

Offline sunup

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #74 on: Mar 13, 2013, 04:16 PM »
Has anyone looked at the snow depth and slush situation on the bay since the storm?  I'd hate to have to snowshoe out there. :(

Offline chasepalosaari

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #75 on: Mar 21, 2013, 12:21 PM »
I'd like to know what the snow situation is now after this storm? Wheeler travel or no?

Offline Chris Raymond

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Lifelong Outdoorsman
« Reply #76 on: Mar 21, 2013, 12:37 PM »
I'll find out tomorrow night and Saturday...just hoping that it's not too bad. 
Chris Raymond

Offline chasepalosaari

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #77 on: Mar 21, 2013, 12:46 PM »
Ya I got a buddy coming from mqt Saturday morning if wheeler travel is fine. Gunna try to make it to one of them reefs way out there.

Offline Chris Raymond

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Lifelong Outdoorsman
« Reply #78 on: Mar 21, 2013, 01:11 PM »
Ya I got a buddy coming from mqt Saturday morning if wheeler travel is fine. Gunna try to make it to one of them reefs way out there.

Here are my thoughts on lakers and deep water.  While I've obviously gone after them and deep in the past, the size of the lakers in K-Bay really isn't that great with many being undersized.  I hate the thought of releasing the undersized ones knowing they're probably going to go belly up at some point after release given the depths from which they came.  Consequently, I simply don't chase them much anymore and when I do, it's rarely north of the line from WhirliGig to the old Tire Shop road.  Plus, I'd much rather eat other fish.  I get it that it's fun to get out on those reefs in the middle of nowhere though. 
Chris Raymond

Offline chasepalosaari

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #79 on: Mar 21, 2013, 01:32 PM »
I'm talking like 180' max. I don't like going past 180' feet.

Offline FF/EMT Axman

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #80 on: Mar 21, 2013, 02:58 PM »
I'm talking like 180' max. I don't like going past 180' feet.

10' or 310' they won't find the body either way...LOL!! (Sorry for the grim humor...)

Offline FF/EMT Axman

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #81 on: Mar 21, 2013, 03:03 PM »
Here are my thoughts on lakers and deep water.  While I've obviously gone after them and deep in the past, the size of the lakers in K-Bay really isn't that great with many being undersized.  I hate the thought of releasing the undersized ones knowing they're probably going to go belly up at some point after release given the depths from which they came.  Consequently, I simply don't chase them much anymore and when I do, it's rarely north of the line from WhirliGig to the old Tire Shop road.  Plus, I'd much rather eat other fish.  I get it that it's fun to get out on those reefs in the middle of nowhere though.

Seems that I had seen or heard somewhere of someone using a needle or worm blower to release the air from their bladder...Supposed to work...

Offline Chris Raymond

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Lifelong Outdoorsman
« Reply #82 on: Mar 21, 2013, 07:46 PM »
Seems that I had seen or heard somewhere of someone using a needle or worm blower to release the air from their bladder...Supposed to work...

I've heard of that technique as well but can't say as though I think it would be all that healthy for the fish.  Personally, for deep water fish, I wish they simply removed the length limit and required that all caught fish be kept...don't see how that is workable from the COs perspective though. 
Chris Raymond

Offline Grizzlyadams73

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #83 on: Mar 21, 2013, 07:48 PM »
ive found if you realize its a small one slow down on your pull and also leave it swim for a bit 10-15 ft down for a bit will help release some of the air

Offline Chris Raymond

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Lifelong Outdoorsman
« Reply #84 on: Mar 22, 2013, 06:54 AM »
ive found if you realize its a small one slow down on your pull and also leave it swim for a bit 10-15 ft down for a bit will help release some of the air

Thanks, I'll try that next time to see if it helps.  I have seen where lakers burp coming up more than other fish but have always figured the O2 changes within the blood system and organs causes them the most damage. 
Chris Raymond

Offline mark_steven

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #85 on: Mar 22, 2013, 09:27 AM »
Lake trout and other salmonids are able to burp out the air from their swim bladder because they have a pneumatic duct connecting the swim bladder to their gut.  Most other fish, including burbot, do not--they fill and empty their swim bladders through their blood supply.  But you are right in that a quick ascent from deep water causes more damage than just inflating their swim bladder.  There is some evidence that some fish can be "popped" and still survive, but many also die as well.

Here are some scientific articles to read.  There have been many such studies, but most come from the ocean.

http://www.fishsciences.net/reports/2004/Transactions_133_1260-1263_Evalutation.pdf
http://www.tandfonline.com/doi/abs/10.1577/1548-8675(1996)016%3C0201%3AEODAPT%3E2.3.CO%3B2
http://www.tandfonline.com/doi/abs/10.1577/T05-010.1

Offline ER1993

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #86 on: Mar 22, 2013, 04:07 PM »
If its a small fish simply try to shake it off.

Offline FF/EMT Axman

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #87 on: Mar 22, 2013, 06:23 PM »
Lake trout and other salmonids are able to burp out the air from their swim bladder because they have a pneumatic duct connecting the swim bladder to their gut.  Most other fish, including burbot, do not--they fill and empty their swim bladders through their blood supply.  But you are right in that a quick ascent from deep water causes more damage than just inflating their swim bladder.  There is some evidence that some fish can be "popped" and still survive, but many also die as well.

Here are some scientific articles to read.  There have been many such studies, but most come from the ocean.

http://www.fishsciences.net/reports/2004/Transactions_133_1260-1263_Evalutation.pdf
http://www.tandfonline.com/doi/abs/10.1577/1548-8675(1996)016%3C0201%3AEODAPT%3E2.3.CO%3B2
http://www.tandfonline.com/doi/abs/10.1577/T05-010.1

Great info!!! The decompression stop depth is equal to half the depth at which the fish was caught (ie: A fish caught at a depth of 200' should be allowed to decompress at the 100' level before resuming the pull. 150'/75'; 100'/50'...etc.). This in the event that needle decompression is not to be performed. Good to know.

The tables in the report show the survival rate is 94% when this method is practiced with fish that have 'closed swim bladders'.

After personally seeing MANY dead, undersized fish under the ice, it wouldn't hurt to practice it with other fish.

Offline Flag UP

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #88 on: Mar 23, 2013, 09:34 PM »
1st of all. Keweenaw Bay is a slush pit right now! My wife and I went out from Whirl-I-Gig about 3:00 this afternoon. It is a good thing that we have a 4 wheel drive 4 wheeler. It was touch and go a few times on the way out and the way off the ice. We did catch 7 trout, 6 legal, on the day.
2nd. Just an observation on the fish getting over inflated. The sublegal fish I caught took off straight for the bottom when I released him. He didn't look like he had any trouble going down as far as I could tell. I also had another trout that got off at the bottom of the hole and he seemed to be able to head deeper quickly as well. That being said, I have seen times where the fish can't seem to head back down too. It may be a matter of how tired they get fighting on the line. I don't have any idea if something like the bends happens to a fish when it is brought up too quickly but fighting them too long may not help them either.

Offline sunup

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #89 on: Mar 24, 2013, 09:55 AM »
The fats tend to balloon up and get bug eyed.  Leans don't have much trouble going right back down.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.