Author Topic: MUNISING BAY  (Read 10406 times)

Offline fisheyefool

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • eat, sleep, fish
Re: MUNISING BAY
« Reply #30 on: Feb 11, 2013, 03:54 PM »
that one whitie looks real nice. how long was it?
eat, sleep, fish

Offline SuperYooper

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #31 on: Feb 11, 2013, 06:48 PM »
It's been pretty slow the last week. Fish are being caught but it's not like it was two weeks ago.

The biggest whitie in that pic was 20" and over 4lbs. Most of the smaller fish in the picture are menominee

Offline ER1993

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #32 on: Feb 11, 2013, 07:54 PM »
Sorry SuperYooper, but that is not a 4lb whitefish IMO. Ill give you 1.5-2 tops... maybe.

Offline UPFishbucket

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #33 on: Feb 11, 2013, 08:52 PM »
Hows the ice and slush conditions? I'm going there tomorrow, is it safe to take a sled out?  Whats the best spot to park and go out from?  I live in deerton, thought id give the bay a try for the first time.

Offline MichiganMan

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #34 on: Feb 12, 2013, 08:34 AM »
I haven't fished for whitefish much and only fished off Anna twice about 30yrs ago, and once off what I think was called sand point. I guess my biggest question; is this an all day bite or mainly first couple hrs of daylite and last couple hours thing?
It's more important to be nice, than it is nice to be important.

Offline fisheyefool

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • eat, sleep, fish
« Reply #35 on: Feb 12, 2013, 10:06 AM »
all day
eat, sleep, fish

Offline Icefisher40

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Missing the U.P
« Reply #36 on: Feb 12, 2013, 10:24 AM »
all day

You pretty much need a camera to fish them though don't you?

Offline bigmike7272

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #37 on: Feb 12, 2013, 10:59 AM »
If they're anything like Huron Bay whitefish then you can catch em without a camera but you'll catch more with a camera.

Tell me and I'll forget. Show me and I'll remember some of it. Involve me and I will have lifetime knowledge.

-Anomymous

Offline Beenmarkinemalot

• IceShanty Rookie
  • Don't rip it's lips off!
« Reply #38 on: Feb 12, 2013, 01:01 PM »
You don't need a camera at all. Just jig eggs off the bottom and get ready for a bite.
The deeper the water the sweeter the meat.

Offline SuperYooper

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #39 on: Feb 12, 2013, 01:40 PM »
You can think what you want about it but it was 4lbs 5oz.

You catch them all day but the morning bite is usually better it seems. And you definately won't need a camera. It may help to use one but they usually just get it the way of things.

Offline Icefisher40

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Missing the U.P
« Reply #40 on: Feb 12, 2013, 01:48 PM »
Dang..need to get me some eggs

Offline MichiganMan

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #41 on: Feb 12, 2013, 02:06 PM »
Years ago I know steelhead or salmon spawn was used. It's hard to find spawn eggs this time of the year.  What if any, other baits will they bite, even if not as good as the eggs?  Also has this warm weather caused a slush problem off the Anna?
It's more important to be nice, than it is nice to be important.

Offline SuperYooper

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #42 on: Feb 12, 2013, 02:33 PM »
The anna is pretty solid right now. In some spots there is slush but over all its not bad.
Store bought eggs that come in a 1 oz jar works too for whitefish if you don't have your own. If you can't get anything like that wax worms work just as well as the eggs do. Sometimes the whities go after waxworms more, and other days it eggs which is why I usually bring both eggs and waxies with me.

When your in town hillside part store usually carries eggs but I'm not sure if they have them right now but it could be worth a shot.

Offline UPFishbucket

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #43 on: Feb 12, 2013, 08:13 PM »
Got the big skunk there today.  Conditions were pretty good and it was great weather but I only marked a couple fish all day and they didn't want to bite. I had one flag and was stripped of the minnow.  I was in the midst of the shacks out from the pier in 48fow. 

Offline SuperYooper

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #44 on: Feb 12, 2013, 08:33 PM »
I was at the anna this morning for about 2 hours. We caught 5 whities and one nice splake. Was the ice slushy down by the city dock?

Offline UPFishbucket

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #45 on: Feb 12, 2013, 09:29 PM »
no slush, bout 5 inches of white ice and 5 of blue.  Were ya right in there middle of the pack there at the anna?  what did ya have your luck with if you dont mind me askin

Offline Beenmarkinemalot

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #46 on: Feb 12, 2013, 11:40 PM »
The anna is pretty solid right now. In some spots there is slush but over all its not bad.
Store bought eggs that come in a 1 oz jar works too for whitefish if you don't have your own. If you can't get anything like that wax worms work just as well as the eggs do. Sometimes the whities go after waxworms more, and other days it eggs which is why I usually bring both eggs and waxies with me.

When your in town hillside part store usually carries eggs but I'm not sure if they have them right now but it could be worth a shot.
You don't need a camera at all. Just jig eggs off the bottom and get ready for a bite.

Offline ER1993

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #47 on: Feb 13, 2013, 02:10 PM »
You can think what you want about it but it was 4.5kg

Offline SuperYooper

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #48 on: Feb 13, 2013, 03:45 PM »
no slush, bout 5 inches of white ice and 5 of blue.  Were ya right in there middle of the pack there at the anna?  what did ya have your luck with if you dont mind me askin

I usually try and stay away from the pack of shacks because of all the chum at the bottom there. I usually try and fish between 20-40 feet but away from the shacks some. I was using eggs for bait. If you want to catch menominee I would go by the shacks that are close to the open water. Thats where we usually do our best for them. (we get menominee and whitefish there)

Offline UPFishbucket

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #49 on: Feb 13, 2013, 04:22 PM »
Thanks for the info, im pretty new to this style of fishing, why do you like to stay away from all the chum?  Doesn't it congregate fish to that area? 

Offline SuperYooper

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #50 on: Feb 13, 2013, 05:12 PM »
It does congregate fish to the area but the fish end up eating all the chum and don't bite your bait too well. When I'm fishing for whitefish I still chum but I do it sparingly, just a few eggs or a little bit of cooked rice when i get there. The problem with being right in with all the shacks is the amount of chum people put down there, especially in a congregated area. You can still do good fishing within the group of shacks there but I personally like to stay away from them.

Offline UPFishbucket

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #51 on: Feb 14, 2013, 09:34 AM »
Ya that makes sense, well I think i'm gonna go give it a try today, probably get out there around 1.  Ya gonna be out super?  I'll be by myself in a 2 man frabil flipover, gonna try over by the anna.

Offline Icefisher40

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Missing the U.P
« Reply #52 on: Feb 14, 2013, 02:26 PM »
Anybody fishing up by Sand Point? I've seen some shanties up that way. Is there even an access up that way?

Offline lipripper89

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #53 on: Feb 14, 2013, 03:52 PM »
It does congregate fish to the area but the fish end up eating all the chum and don't bite your bait too well. When I'm fishing for whitefish I still chum but I do it sparingly, just a few eggs or a little bit of cooked rice when i get there. The problem with being right in with all the shacks is the amount of chum people put down there, especially in a congregated area. You can still do good fishing within the group of shacks there but I personally like to stay away from them.

Please do not use rice or pasta the fish cannot digest it and eventually it blocks them up, even if it is cooked.
Good Fishin!!!

Offline Icefisher40

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Missing the U.P
« Reply #54 on: Feb 14, 2013, 03:58 PM »
Please do not use rice or pasta the fish cannot digest it and eventually it blocks them up, even if it is cooked.

I've seen a ton of people using shrimp.

Offline lipripper89

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #55 on: Feb 14, 2013, 04:00 PM »
Definitely A better choice.
Good Fishin!!!

Offline Beenmarkinemalot

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #56 on: Feb 14, 2013, 05:28 PM »
I have found a lot of rubber soft baits in Whitefish stomachs before and wondered how long they would have lived with that in them? Mostly in the same areas where people are also jigging for Coho.

Offline Icefisher40

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Missing the U.P
« Reply #57 on: Feb 16, 2013, 08:54 PM »
Anybody fishing up by Sand Point? I've seen some shanties up that way. Is there even an access up that way?

Anybody?

Offline Yooper_27

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #58 on: Feb 16, 2013, 10:00 PM »
Haven't been to Sand Point this winter, but I know there is ice. Coming into Munising, head west on H-58 and go past the paper mill about a mile and turn onto Washington St(follow the blue hospital sign) follow that all the way down and it ends at Sand Point.

Offline Icefisher40

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Missing the U.P
« Reply #59 on: Feb 16, 2013, 10:06 PM »
Haven't been to Sand Point this winter, but I know there is ice. Coming into Munising, head west on H-58 and go past the paper mill about a mile and turn onto Washington St(follow the blue hospital sign) follow that all the way down and it ends at Sand Point.

I hope all the snow that Munising got didnt ruin the ice..

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.