Author Topic: Keweenaw Bay Ice  (Read 15266 times)

Offline chasepalosaari

• Team IceShanty Regular
Re: Keweenaw Bay Ice
« Reply #30 on: Jan 31, 2010, 08:55 PM »
how far out there were the tents?

Offline bigmike7272

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #31 on: Feb 01, 2010, 09:18 AM »
out far enough to be in 40 fow probably. I heard today there is 3" out there

Tell me and I'll forget. Show me and I'll remember some of it. Involve me and I will have lifetime knowledge.

-Anomymous

Offline acrawfor

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #32 on: Feb 01, 2010, 10:06 AM »
Might be worth a trip by next weekend then

Offline chasepalosaari

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #33 on: Feb 01, 2010, 12:07 PM »
Is the ice to squaw beach yet?

Offline Chris Raymond

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Lifelong Outdoorsman
« Reply #34 on: Feb 01, 2010, 12:18 PM »
Is the ice to squaw beach yet?
  It was within about 100 yards yesterday when I checked. 
Chris Raymond

Offline chasepalosaari

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #35 on: Feb 01, 2010, 05:07 PM »
maybe by the weekend the ice will be good to fish at squaw if we continue to have cold nights and average days? ???

Offline sseppanen

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #36 on: Feb 01, 2010, 07:34 PM »
Went through Baraga/Lanse Yesterday ice cover looks to be close to light house (baraga side) Keep cold weather coming and no wind ice could be good mid week or next weekend and if anybody brave enough to check post report on thickness???

Yea would love to fish , but these fish have Viral Hemorrhagic Septicemia

Offline chasepalosaari

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #37 on: Feb 01, 2010, 08:29 PM »

Yea would love to fish , but these fish have Viral Hemorrhagic Septicemia

????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????

Offline ZeeUP

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #38 on: Feb 01, 2010, 08:43 PM »
Yah i heard that VHS made its way to Superior , read the news "Deadly VHS Virus Found In Lake Superior"
http://wcco.com/local/vhs.virus.fish.2.1453764.html
http://dnr.wi.gov/news/BreakingNews_Lookup.asp?id=1559

This is so bad, massive kills of fish expected, they say it doesn't affect humans, i wont eat those fish though, what are your thoughts guys.

Offline chasepalosaari

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #39 on: Feb 01, 2010, 09:00 PM »
It's not stopping me from fishing!

Offline acrawfor

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #40 on: Feb 01, 2010, 09:03 PM »
Cook them properly and it shouldn't be a problem. From my understanding of viruses, heat distorts proteins in their dna and doesn't allow it to properly infect a cell and reproduce. So it shouldn't be able to infect you if its cooked thouroughly. College teached me good  ;)

By no means an expert, but thats my understanding.

Offline Prehnite44

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #41 on: Feb 01, 2010, 10:48 PM »
(From WDNR: http://dnr.wi.gov/fish/vhs/vhs_qafishandhumanhealth.html) Is VHS a health risk to people?

No, VHS is not a health risk for people so anglers can continue to enjoy fishing and eating their catch. VHS has never been associated with human illness since first being discovered in European fish decades ago (DHFS, May 2007). Fish can be infected by VHS, but may not show signs of disease. Such fish are safe to eat so long as the fish is properly cooked. However, you should not eat fish you find dead, decomposing, or that appear sick, regardless of cause. Decomposing fish may attract other bacteria harmful to people.

While it is generally safe to handle fish, you should always wash your hands after handling fish especially if the fish is dead or appears diseased. Dead fish and fish with sores may be contaminated with bacteria and it is a good idea to wear protective gloves when handling dead fish.

Offline chasepalosaari

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #42 on: Feb 02, 2010, 01:54 PM »
anyway......any reports on the ice at k-bay today?

Offline sseppanen

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #43 on: Feb 02, 2010, 08:30 PM »
Not safe yet

Offline bigmike7272

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #44 on: Feb 02, 2010, 08:55 PM »
definetly not safe in my opinion only 3" i guess. but there are some daredevils out there 7 tents off the head of the bay and 7-8 off the baraga marina

Tell me and I'll forget. Show me and I'll remember some of it. Involve me and I will have lifetime knowledge.

-Anomymous

Offline mark_steven

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #45 on: Feb 02, 2010, 08:57 PM »
I heard from someone that lives on the bay that a large chuck broke off and crumbled on the eastern shore and the rest of it has been pressure cracking at the shore. Be safe guys. It's not worth drifting to Canada.

Offline bigmike7272

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #46 on: Feb 02, 2010, 09:04 PM »
Just think of the trolling you could get in if your piece of ice stayed together that long ;D

-Anomymous

Offline pure_joker

• IceShanty Rookie
  • THE JIG RIG
« Reply #47 on: Feb 02, 2010, 09:20 PM »
Made a trip up tonight with my dad. Walked out from the pump house about 1/2 mi. and fished in 90'. Had a half dozen hits between the two of us but nothing on the ice. There was 4-5" of black ice after we got by the frozen floe near shore. Never hard water fished for lakers before but still had a good time trying something new. Hope to make it out again soon.

Offline acrawfor

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #48 on: Feb 02, 2010, 10:28 PM »
Hopefully it stays cold and not windy. Thinking about taking a trip down there on Friday or Saturday if the ice is still good.

Offline sseppanen

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #49 on: Feb 03, 2010, 05:29 AM »
heard ice was gone its in peices and if we get a south wind say good bye

Offline chasepalosaari

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #50 on: Feb 03, 2010, 07:59 AM »
Please tell me tour kidding?!?! Where did u here this from???

Offline bigmike7272

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #51 on: Feb 03, 2010, 09:16 AM »
heard ice was gone its in peices and if we get a south wind say good bye
Where are you getting this garbage from ??? I see the ice every day and i don't see a single spot missing or looking like it's going to go missing

-Anomymous

Offline davemillertime

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #52 on: Feb 03, 2010, 02:45 PM »
LOL...... ::) Chase, dude you need to get out fishin more. I see all your posts on here asking "& thats what people are here for " questions about the ice ..& not 1 report  ;D .....DO You actually FISH ??? ....Just Razzin ya  ;)

Offline chasepalosaari

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #53 on: Feb 03, 2010, 04:55 PM »
haha yes im just a youngin. And i'm new to ice fishing and just trying to ask questions on how to do it. Me and my buddy are waiting to get our shack on keweenaw bay that will be done by friday.

Offline chasepalosaari

• Team IceShanty Regular

Offline updeerhunter

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #55 on: Feb 03, 2010, 07:43 PM »
Me and Chase are working on getting out there, we are just putting in a little more research this year. Last year I went out 9 times for a total of one 15.5 inch laker.   :-\ Chase was the winner with two of about the same size. We're thinking this year we will be able to get more time in on squaw beach in our shanty. Last year our only attempt at that was on the  -15 day in a tent.

Offline sunup

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Safety first. The fish will wait!
« Reply #56 on: Feb 03, 2010, 08:34 PM »
The ice inside of the bay is fine.  Had 5" at the head of the bay this morning and 5" just South of the Sand point lighthouse this afternoon.  Nice hard, clear ice with just enough snow on top to walk on without sliding.  There is new ice North and East from the lighthouse that we didn't try.  Maybe in a few more days if the wind stays down.  Caught a couple coho and a few perch.  Didn't see any herring but other fishermen at the head of the bay saw a couple school that wouldn't bite. 

Offline acrawfor

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #57 on: Feb 03, 2010, 09:23 PM »
Thinking about heading down there for the first time tomorrow or friday. Not very familiar with the area so where is a good area to head out from that will be definately on safe ice? Also any tips on how deep to fish and what to use? Thanks.

Offline bigmike7272

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #58 on: Feb 03, 2010, 09:31 PM »
Head of the bay off the willow tree used to be a good spot but from what i've heard so far this year it stinks. Your best bet would propably be to go off the Disney Marina (Baraga Marina) over by the BP gas station i would fish bottom for perch or up top about 10' down for herring and salmon atleast that's where i catch em'

-Anomymous

Offline acrawfor

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #59 on: Feb 03, 2010, 10:09 PM »
K, I'll have to give that a try. Is the ice pretty safe in that area? What time is a good time to go out for either the herring and coho or perch? Also what are you using for lure/bait? Waxies and med fats? Sorry about all the questions, but thanks for the info.

One more question. Any point in throwing down a couple tip ups, there anything around there that will hit it? Thanks.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.