Author Topic: bar clear coat for bob house ski coating  (Read 2206 times)

Offline Bearseatfish

• Team IceShanty Regular
bar clear coat for bob house ski coating
« on: Jul 20, 2020, 07:01 AM »
Hi everyone, have any of you ever tried to coat the wood runners under your bob house with bar top? would it hold up??

v/r
Gary
In winter we become gods and walk on water....

Offline esox_xtm

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShantyholic
  • It's Showtime!
Re: bar clear coat for bob house ski coating
« Reply #1 on: Jul 21, 2020, 07:06 AM »
My only experience with "bar top coating" is a product called Envirotex. It's a two part epoxy and I used it to clear coat musky lures. It is tough but I found over time, once any water got under an edge, it would tend to lift and crack off in pieces. In fairness, my coating was over painted on surfaces and there were always small places for this to start: hook hangers, line ties, hook rash or tooth damage.

I've got one in the shop right now I stripped to the wood and "painted" with some thinned clear first. My thought is if I can get it to actually soak into the wood, paint and then add another coat of clear over the top I can minimize the eventual damage. Only time will tell its durability.

Be advised: it is a bugger to remove the still adhered areas to refinish.

Maybe another option for you is to go a plastic route. My first ice sled was made of plywood with a piece of one of those poly blue barrels (they also come in black or white) for a bottom. Never gathered ice or froze down and was crazy tough over gravel roads and asphalt parking lots. Kinda like the UHMW for modern ice sleds except not as think but way less expensive. It would also be easy(ier) to replace if necessary.
To fish or not to fish? That's a stupid question!

“Imagination is the only weapon in the war against reality.”― Lewis Carroll

Offline badger132

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #2 on: Jul 21, 2020, 04:06 PM »
Not sure what a "bob house" is exactly, but the bar top epoxy is quite expensive. It is not designed for wear, or even for bonding, but it is clear and self leveling. If you want tough and slick, it is hard to beat UHMW PE. That is what the sliders on snowmobiles are, and also the material used on the bottom of modern downhill skis. That is the solution used by the commercial ice fishing sleds. If you search, you can get any shape you want on line. If you want something cheap/free, truck bed liners, plastic barrels, and used strips of hyfax are around if you know where to look. I would imagine snowmobile shops have a lot of hyfax. You can cut and bend with heat to get the shapes you need.

Amazon has the hyfax for $37 a set- you could buy 3 sets for what a gallon of that epoxy will cost you.

https://www.amazon.com/Pelican-Snow-Trek-Ram-X-Runners/dp/B002JQ035U/ref=sr_1_24?crid=318MG2GXRGEPF&dchild=1&keywords=otter%2Bsled%2Bhyfax%2Bkit&qid=1595365460&sprefix=hyfax%2Bkit%2Caps%2C200&sr=8-24&th=1&psc=1

Offline OldSailor

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShantyholic
  • Take a kid fishing! Pay it forward!!
« Reply #3 on: Jul 21, 2020, 05:08 PM »
Bob house is just another name for an ice shanty in certain parts of the country. ;)2 :thumbsup: :icefish:
My two favorite college football teams are Ohio State and whoever's playing Michigan!!!

Don't reel against the drag!!!

Ex Minnesnowta lad! You can take the lad out of Minnesnowta, but you can't take Minnesnowta out of the lad!!

Offline gunn308

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #4 on: Jul 26, 2020, 04:40 PM »
Plastic plow edge works great. Check with your state highway plow crews, next coupla months they should be gettin stuff for winter, even if they are worn down you can screw 2 on each skid.
"Oats that have already been through the horse are always cheaper than oats that haven't"

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.