Author Topic: fish finder with sonar....  (Read 385 times)

Offline Pa Teeny

• IceShanty Rookie
fish finder with sonar....
« on: Sep 30, 2016, 12:01 PM »
I use a lowrance fish finder with Chirp 5 technology on my kayak where I use a portable battery jumper that I bought for $80.  I could lowerer the sonar in the hole and watch for the fish to come and see them on the sonar....it also shows the depth and structure on the bottom..

Just thinking...has anyone ever done that...I do not get those red dot and fish things used by ice fisherman.....

Offline hnd

• Team IceShanty Maniac
Re: fish finder with sonar....
« Reply #1 on: Sep 30, 2016, 12:17 PM »
thanks for the update

FISHFORPIKE

« Reply #2 on: Sep 30, 2016, 12:27 PM »
Lots of folks using fishfinders for on the ice these days.  @)  They all work on the same principal (the flashers) too.  They send a sound signal out and it is reflected back to your screen.  Differnt machines put up a different representation of that reflected signal.
That's the basic view of things - they can certainly get very complex.  ;)

Offline Spider1

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #3 on: Sep 30, 2016, 01:49 PM »
yup. Lots of folks use finders over flashers. I picked up a Lowrance 4x chirp for my kayak this year too, it has an ice settingand I can't wait to give it try on the ice! I don't know if I need to get the ice transducer or not but I'll give it a try with the boat transducer anyway. If it doesn't work so well I'll just stick with my ice-45.

Offline Miller73

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #4 on: Sep 30, 2016, 03:46 PM »
I use a lowrance fish finder with Chirp 5 technology on my kayak where I use a portable battery jumper that I bought for $80.  I could lowerer the sonar in the hole and watch for the fish to come and see them on the sonar....it also shows the depth and structure on the bottom..

Just thinking...has anyone ever done that...I do not get those red dot and fish things used by ice fisherman.....
  Its funny you mention this.....I dont open water fish more than two or three days a year.  However, I do icefish fairly often....As such, a flasher is really all I have used.  I just purchased a striker 5 ice bundle, so I'll be playing around with, and reading up the sonar aspects of it.  Reading a flasher is much simpler for me.

Offline esox_xtm

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShantyholic
  • It's Showtime!
« Reply #5 on: Sep 30, 2016, 05:29 PM »
All flashers are "finders"..... All finders are not flashers.

I have a dual mode LCD unit I use year round. There are advantage to a graph style finder in shallow water with very heavy weeds.....
To fish or not to fish? That's a stupid question!

“Imagination is the only weapon in the war against reality.”― Lewis Carroll

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.