Author Topic: How big is too big?  (Read 2963 times)

Offline walpy

• Team IceShanty Regular
How big is too big?
« on: Jan 18, 2017, 02:39 PM »
I'm going to pick up a new reel for Lakers.. The water I fish them can be as deep as 300+ (not that I go that deep) and I'm wondering how big is too big? thinking I could get something that doubles for open water as well.. is a 4000 (10/195) just idiotic?

Offline ScotNH

• Team IceShanty Regular
Re: How big is too big?
« Reply #1 on: Jan 18, 2017, 05:36 PM »
I have a full size Mitchell 300 (10/210) on my 30" laker rod. I originally thought it was going to be too big, but once I got it on there, I loved it.

Offline RyanW

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #2 on: Jan 19, 2017, 04:43 PM »
Match the fish size to the line, match the line poundage to the reel, match the reel capacity to the rod, and match the rod specifications to the application, just like in summer.

For example: 1lb sunfish=2lb line=size 500 reel=ultra-light noodle rod=spring bobber tip w/backbone.

For Lakers, just up your gear according to what it takes to catch Lakers. I use a size 3000 Tica Libra for winter pike and summer bass, works great!
“When the fish are biting, it really doesn’t matter what you’re using. When the fish aren’t biting, it really doesn’t matter what you’re using” - Uncle Dave

Offline fishermantim

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #3 on: Jan 19, 2017, 04:47 PM »
Match the fish size to the line, match the line poundage to the reel, match the reel capacity to the rod, and match the rod specifications to the application, just like in summer.

For example: 1lb sunfish=2lb line=size 500 reel=ultra-light noodle rod=spring bobber tip w/backbone.

For Lakers, just up your gear according to what it takes to catch Lakers. I use a size 3000 Tica Libra for winter pike and summer bass, works great!

Now this is someone that knows his gear!

I get asked (every so often) how I can cast my lures so far with such small lures, and then I go thru the "match the reel to the rod" explanation and wait to see if I get the "deer in the headlights" reaction.

The right match of gear can make fishing, regardless of where or when much more enjoyable!
"I'd rather have a bottle in front of me than a frontal lobotomy" - the Existential Blues

I am a legend in my own mind!

Offline slipperybob

• Team IceShantyholic
  • LX5 or die...maybe extra battery.
« Reply #4 on: Feb 06, 2017, 07:56 PM »
I've used a Shimano 4000 size reel with a Heavy rod for panfishing before and it's my pike fishing set up.  In this situation it was river fishing and my panfish rod set up was just not connecting with the river current. 

I started out with oversized gear set up for ice fishing.  It was overkill for panfishing.  Awesome for big fish. 
For more information read my MN nice journal

Offline Old Goat

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #5 on: Jun 10, 2017, 08:37 PM »
Now this is someone that knows his gear!

I get asked (every so often) how I can cast my lures so far with such small lures, and then I go thru the "match the reel to the rod" explanation and wait to see if I get the "deer in the headlights" reaction.

The right match of gear can make fishing, regardless of where or when much more enjoyable!
               I'll add that even undermatching can be good; I had a small tungsten with plastic come out of water with a light wind and when the wind slowed it dropped back into water swam a bit and the fish loved it. It was hard to believe even as it was happening. This was open water not ice fishing

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.