Author Topic: cooking with mr.buddy heater  (Read 304540 times)

Offline fishnfarm

• IceShanty Rookie
Re: cooking with mr.buddy heater
« Reply #330 on: Jan 16, 2015, 08:51 AM »
Came across this site awhile back searching for this topic.  A lot of good ideas. Will have to try and rig something up this weekend on my heater.

Offline chasdc1

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #331 on: Jan 26, 2015, 11:31 AM »
It's like cooking a gourmet dinner on the exhaust manifold of your car.

Offline Knife2sharp

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #332 on: Jan 26, 2015, 11:47 AM »
I used to use my steel ice scoop and cook hot dogs over my Mr Heater sunflower.  You guys are too fancy. 
I don't post on IceShanty often, but when I do - #Legendary

Offline motocross269

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #333 on: Feb 05, 2015, 05:22 AM »
I saw a few posts that said that a Little Buddy heater doesn't get hot enough to heat up food......I have both a regular size buddy heater and this little buddy that I use in my one man shelter...I bought one of the 1 gallon bucket size screens from Home depot and just bent it up to make it work...Nothing fancy but I wanted to see if it would heat water...It boiled water no problem....I took the heater out Tuesday and it heated a tin of chili to simmering in about 15 minutes....
The way I have it set up isn't the most secure so I will probably have to rig it better....but it works pretty well and takes up zero room...

Offline greensider

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #334 on: Feb 05, 2015, 05:26 AM »
i heat up pizza wrapped in foil on my heater

Offline Fry Flier

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #335 on: Feb 12, 2015, 01:44 PM »
Made mine out of a Cookie Cooling rack $5 at Can. Tire Made a few cuts and bends now it sits firm and sturdy for cooking, toasting and glove drying.

May your tip-up spool while your flag raises with hopes of landing the big one.

Offline joemx1825

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #336 on: Oct 23, 2015, 01:25 PM »
The key to heating food fast is to make sure your food is directly above where the most heat is...the last picture posted shows the screen being out away from where the heat goes, this won't get very hot...you need to be directly over the heating brick...  you can tilt the buddy heater a bit to get the heat farther out in front, just be careful your food is secure, nothing worse than food getting on your buddy heat brick...

Offline timeflies

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #337 on: Nov 09, 2015, 01:55 PM »
Just make sure you are keeping a close eye on if you cook on it tried it last season and for some reason or other had the thing burst into flames, melted half the heater on me
Trout don't rise in the graveyard, so fish while you're able

Host of 413 outdoors

Offline Mr.Seaguar

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #338 on: Nov 09, 2015, 02:03 PM »
Those guys hanging something off the front of their heater at asking for it. I made a grate and used conduit for legs to hold the grate above my heater. I rarely use it because we have restaurants right by my favorite lakes. But be careful with your mods.
Every plastics manufacturer claims plastics outfish livebait. So now I use livebait just for the increased challenge.

Offline tomjohn

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #339 on: Dec 06, 2015, 08:23 PM »
I modified mine...No more bumping it and the flame going out for me.
When hell freezes over Ill Ice fish there too

Offline kb

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Yakity yak yak, yakity yak yak
« Reply #340 on: Dec 07, 2015, 07:58 AM »
Do tell.  Mine cuts off with the slightest bump. It's very frustrating.   PM if you don't want to post it please.

Thanks
Kb
><((((º>`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸.·´¯`·...¸><((((º>
. .·´¯`·.. ><((((º>´¯`·...¸><((((º>

Offline adam1416

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #341 on: Dec 07, 2015, 06:07 PM »
everybody who likes to ice fish has a propane two burner. don't they?

Offline gearheart

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #342 on: Dec 10, 2015, 10:10 AM »
everybody who likes to ice fish has a propane two burner. don't they?
If you want to set up a picnic outside in nice weather the 2 burner is tops.  If you are inside a pop up shelter or flip over, and it's nasty out or just plain cold and you already have a heater going, you can still make coffee and heat food with the ideas here.  If you do not have a heater then use the stove.  If you do have a heater then, why bring the stove?

Offline NYSporty

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Jigem up boys
« Reply #343 on: Dec 10, 2015, 10:54 AM »
Do tell.  Mine cuts off with the slightest bump. It's very frustrating.   PM if you don't want to post it please.

Thanks
Kb

I'm sure the bump switch is the same as this one.
I'm going to tear into mine as soon as I get home I'm sick of it going off all the time.

"Problem solving is hunting. It is savage pleasure and we are born to do it."
Thomas Harris

Offline redneckdan

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #344 on: Dec 10, 2015, 10:58 AM »
Bump switch is under the cover on the same side as the heat control. Pop the cover, cut the wires to the switch and solder together, a small wire nut might work too.

Offline kb

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Yakity yak yak, yakity yak yak
« Reply #345 on: Dec 11, 2015, 05:55 PM »
Thank you!
><((((º>`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸.·´¯`·...¸><((((º>
. .·´¯`·.. ><((((º>´¯`·...¸><((((º>

Offline redneckdan

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #346 on: Dec 11, 2015, 06:34 PM »
Thermocouple mod helps too. Understand this defeats the O2 sensing capability.

Another recipe for the collective.

Foil, raw brat, beer, bun, mustard, pepper and onion slices

Wrap the raw brat and veggies in foil, add a splash of beer before you seal it up. Place it on the cooking racking in the hottest zone. Rotate it even once in a while, takes about 45 min to an hour to cook. Pull the whole mess out and slap it on a bun, add spicy mustard.

Offline Lowens110

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #347 on: Dec 30, 2015, 01:12 AM »
Sorry guys still can't figure out this photo thing but no mods needed if you have the BIG Buddy heater go to the depot and buy a 5 gallon roller screen that's designed to fit into 5gal bucket to paint off of and it fits perfectly onto the heater flip it upside down and it hooks right on the handle has a lip on front so you don't loose food. Love it! Grill dogs on it heat soup in disposable bread pans works awesome

Offline potatoe

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #348 on: Jan 17, 2016, 06:29 PM »
had some water drip from the foil today and it knocked my buddy out of commission. I think the water hit the pilot, it was -2 out and I thought it would end our trip. I kept fooling with it and it fired back up. Anyone experience this, I had no ignition for about a minute and then worked.

I was cooking dogs in aluminum pan with foil on top to keep the heat in

Offline prospector

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #349 on: Jan 17, 2016, 07:06 PM »
had some water drip from the foil today and it knocked by buddy out of commission. I think the water hit the pilot, it was -2 out and I thought it would end our trip. I kept fooling with it and it fired back up. Anyone experience this, I had no ignition for about a minute and then worked.

I was cooking dogs in aluminum pan with foil on top to keep the heat in
Usually it is grease knocking mine down. cheese bratwurst and pizza bites.

Offline potatoe

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #350 on: Jan 18, 2016, 09:00 PM »
Tried my modified Mr. Heater/Cooker today, worked luck a charm. Nice warm mac & cheese was a great treat. No mess, no fuss. The pilot guard worked great also. It was like a hurricane out there today, couldn't see the snowmobile at one time 15 feet away.
(Image removed from quote.)

where do you find a pilot guard, or did you make this. I think this is what I need to prevent flame out

Offline PRICE COUNTY STRIKE ZONE

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #351 on: Jan 18, 2016, 09:34 PM »
Not sure if anyone else posted this or not but..... http://www.buddyburners.com
     Beer: So much more than a breakfast drink.  - Homer Simpson

Offline hardwater diehard

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #352 on: Jan 19, 2016, 08:53 AM »
where do you find a pilot guard, or did you make this. I think this is what I need to prevent flame out

PM sent
Give a man a fish he eats for a day .Teach a man to ice fish he has an obsession for a lifetime

Offline Mainehazmt

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #353 on: Mar 24, 2016, 07:39 AM »
do a search here in IS   there are directions with pictures  from many years ago posted somewhere on here
I am a Veteran Not a Terrorist!

Offline bart

• Team IceShantyholic
  • I love you, Deb
« Reply #354 on: Mar 24, 2016, 01:12 PM »

Sorry for a late response, just found this. I did make it out of flashing. I made a pattern out of paper that worked for me, then traced it on a piece of flashing and cut it out with scissors. I drilled two holes to secure with sheet metal screw. The vent holes, I bought a hole punch that would punch out a small hole. It is pretty easy.

"Many fish their entire lives without knowing that it is not fish they are after."-Henry David Thoreau
  Keep America Godly...

Offline HardH20Fishin

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #355 on: Nov 05, 2016, 06:27 PM »
Bought the paint roller screen for $1.89. Carefully opened up the lips of the sides to cut the screen to right size then replaced sides and hammered flat again. Drilled holes on already bent tabs to mount to top of heater using the MrBuddy screen, then bent the remaining side tabs to right angle to rest on heater screen. Super easy...cheap...and works great.

You can't buy happiness, but you can buy fishing gear....and that's kind of the same thing.

Offline Icetothebone

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #356 on: Nov 11, 2016, 05:53 AM »
Just wanted to share.  I've read thru this thread and love the ideas.  I bought the metal roller grid and was able to put on my big buddy heater in minutes.  I'm interested to see how it works this season!  I also read some articles on line on how backpackers bring their cooking gear, as they want to minimize gear being hauled like us.  Saw a interesting set up, a Stanley cook pot, which contains 2 plastic thermal cups, top that is held in place with a retractable handle, which also secures top to pot during transport.  Guy also had a stainless steel cup also with retractable handle which the pot fits into perfectly, and a titanium spork that can attach to the setup.  Great way I think to bring some cooking gear that will fit perfectly on the heater mods and take up very little room!!  I just ordered the cup and spork off Amazon, the Stanley pot set up I found cheapest at Gander.  Will try and post pic when I have all items. 

Offline bart

• Team IceShantyholic
  • I love you, Deb
« Reply #357 on: Nov 11, 2016, 07:06 AM »
Most of my pics are not showing up???

I have been using the Stanley Pot for a while, it does work perfectly for me...

Always have piping hot coffee...

"Many fish their entire lives without knowing that it is not fish they are after."-Henry David Thoreau
  Keep America Godly...

Offline Icetothebone

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #358 on: Nov 11, 2016, 07:57 PM »
Bart, that's the one, sweet!!

Offline Alex Delarge

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #359 on: Nov 15, 2016, 03:22 PM »
Lots of great idea's guys. I built a hardside this year and added a portable buddy last week. I was hesitant to do any mods right out of the box. I purchased the 2 year replacement plan and didn't want to void any warranties. I was seriously contemplating purchasing a new propane stove to replace my old coleman fuel stove and bringing that to cook in the shanty. Then I remembered a cooktop surface I had and thought I could make a shelf of sorts then the trash cans were right there.

I can add a 2x6 under the heater to get it closer to the cooktop. Boards on the cans for counter space. I know for certain it will be fine for grill cheese, hot dogs, and soups and even eggs. I'm gonna thaw some mooseburger and try to cook that at the tail end of the week.

It must be something in the water.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.