The ice fishing WY board is sponsored by:

Author Topic: Jigging Rap Treble Hooks  (Read 3700 times)

Offline Elkhnter

• Team IceShanty Addict
Jigging Rap Treble Hooks
« on: Jan 08, 2019, 05:10 PM »
Can someone possible help me: I broke off one of the hooks on my treble hook on a #5 Jigging Rapala. Anyways from the website it says a #5 takes a #10 treble hook, well I  ordered some and they are to small and have short shanks..

So my question is: What Make and # "Size" of treble hook do you guys use for replacement hooks on your rappala jigging raps so I know which ones to get..

Thanks in Advance...
Marvin

Offline appleye

• Iceshanty Mod Team
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
Re: Jigging Rap Treble Hooks
« Reply #1 on: Jan 08, 2019, 06:41 PM »
I always up size my hooks and I go with red hooks I just eyeball the size. Most manufactures are good, not use the cheapest you can find, use quality. The size and weight heavier hooks will have almost no affect of the way the lure works. I also don't use bait with a rap.
In the memory of "Team Lighting" Fish ON!
No one ever says,"Man that fish tastes small.
Thank you Lord for thinkin bout me. I'm alive and doin fine!!!!!!

Offline claymore6

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #2 on: Jan 08, 2019, 06:58 PM »
I've had better luck with replacing the treble with a #6 octopus single hook.

Offline Elkhnter

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #3 on: Jan 08, 2019, 09:26 PM »
Thanks all for the replies I truly appreciate it.. I found that they say a #5 jigging rap takes a #10 treble hook when its actually a size #8 or #7. So i'll be buying some #6 & #7's and I should be set with most all my rapalas I'm fishing..
Marvin

Offline ND_Outdoorsman

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #4 on: Jan 09, 2019, 11:08 AM »
Treble hook size on the jogging raps do not need to be exact. I upsize my trebles by 1-2 sizes for better hook ups and I cut the front nose hook off to prevent getting hooked on the hole.

Offline Elkhnter

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #5 on: Jan 09, 2019, 02:01 PM »
ND-Outdoorsmand, Claymore6 and Appleeye: I appreciate your response!! Next Time i'm at Scheel or Cabelas i'm upgrading the treble hooks to something a tad big larger..

Don't know if VMC or Gamagatsu are the way to go but heard there both very good hooks so i'll be checking them out!!
Marvin

Offline ND_Outdoorsman

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #6 on: Jan 09, 2019, 03:29 PM »
I like VMC because they work well and are cheaper than gamagatsu but the later is prob the best hooks made out there

Offline appleye

• Iceshanty Mod Team
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #7 on: Jan 09, 2019, 06:26 PM »
I use both and both work well, what ever is the cheaper of the two. LOL Mustad triple grips are also good hooks I use most of the time because I purchased a box of 1000 once.

Offline AndrewB

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #8 on: Jan 15, 2019, 05:09 PM »
VMC hooks are owned by Rapala. They already use VMC and that's all I usually buy. Gamakatsu makes excellent hooks also.

Offline TiggerTamer

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #9 on: Jan 16, 2019, 04:36 PM »
I replace my jigging raps with larger Owner cutting point treble hooks and a hang them down some with a piece of wire. I get better hook ups that way. The stock hooks are too small and too tight to the body.

Offline Kevin23

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #10 on: Jan 16, 2019, 04:51 PM »
Can someone possible help me: I broke off one of the hooks on my treble hook on a #5 Jigging Rapala. Anyways from the website it says a #5 takes a #10 treble hook, well I  ordered some and they are to small and have short shanks..

So my question is: What Make and # "Size" of treble hook to you guys use for replacement hooks on your rappala jigging raps so I know which ones to get..

Thanks in Advance...

On #5 i use either #8 or #10 vmc 9650 which is a 1x strong short shank. I cant confirm but I think its the same hook they come with from the factory, maybe its 9651 but i cant get those below #6.

EYECONICFISHING

Offline Elkhnter

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #11 on: Jan 17, 2019, 09:10 PM »
Kevin23: Thanks for the reply! I ordered the 9650 VMC in #10 and of course when I got them I figured out that the #5 Jigging Raps come really with a #8. Rapalas website say's #10 but its not the case- Sooooooo I went out and got some #6 &#8 VMC trebles so i'm set now with plenty of back up trebles when I break a hook off trying to get it out of the roof of a sauger or walleyes mouth..

Thanks all that replied you have been a world of help...….
Marvin

Offline appleye

• Iceshanty Mod Team
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #12 on: Nov 25, 2019, 11:23 AM »
https://www.iceshanty.com/ice_fishing/index.php?topic=371691.0

Instead of opening a new thread I'll just post this here. In the water the flicker blade looks great. will be a nice addition to the tool bag.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.