Author Topic: Keeping your gear in the sled  (Read 957 times)

Offline badger132

• Team IceShanty Maniac
Keeping your gear in the sled
« on: Jan 04, 2018, 06:21 PM »
Cascade is now a frozen mass of snowmobile and 4 wheeler tracks, through 2 inches of slush from the end of the year. The surface is rougher than a cob, and I have seen gear sleds flipped when people go too fast. Mine was a jumbled mess of gear after towing it across the lake surface. Bolts were shaken out by all of the vibration. Does anyone have good solutions for transporting gear in a sled without it being a big mess? I walked until last year, so this is a new problem for me. ( I was never going fast enough to cause a problem)

Offline caldwellite

• IceShanty Rookie
Re: Keeping your gear in the sled
« Reply #1 on: Jan 04, 2018, 10:51 PM »
Perfect answer is Siglin type sled. Plastic company in Boise sells the material to make one. Action packer boxes and milk crates help with gear. Many years prior to Smitty sleds we used Skis as outriggers on our sleds. Good luck.

Offline Idahogator

• Team IceShantyholic
  • Muckeltonian Society
« Reply #2 on: Jan 04, 2018, 11:24 PM »
Bolts can't be lost if installed properly with two nuts locked together, called double nutted.  Lock the two nuts together TIGHTLY !

Better yet, use nu-lock nuts.  If they are ever taken apart ~ REPLACE THEM !

Space-age technology often saves the day ~ even though it's not rocket surgery, which is far beyond science.     :nono:

Good luck and may you enjoy new success.      :thumbsup:

Offline Ouzel

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #3 on: Jan 05, 2018, 01:10 AM »
I lined my sled with  those kids lock together play mats from Toy-R-Us.

Previously during a 26 mile snow machine ride dragging my sleigh into a lake, I shook a level wind reel apart and cracked a gas tank on my auger. Spoke of this issue to a friend in Alaska who drags a loaded sled many miles in the winter, he offered this suggestion and it worked great.
I guess the mat absorbs the vibration.

Works for me as I have hauled my two sleds hundreds of miles since without any other issues.

My .02$.

Ouzel

Offline chilly-willy

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #4 on: Jan 05, 2018, 02:49 AM »
Strap it down.. gear webbing and ratchet straps also small items in large  gear bags.. or a soft sided tackle box.. nylon lock nuts double nutted.. like said

if all you do is tow it lessen up stuff by taking whats needed leave some of the spares at home.. then add it to the wheeler or snowmobile.. they make gear lockers for those  and auger/shanty/bucket carriers for those..

if its a flip over dragging it is worst for those on that hard ice cause it will put a hole in it sooner or later in the hard sled base..

that's were hub shanties to warm up in and hole hopping in that area...  then moving to new location is hard but not as hard as you think.. cord less drill to remove stakes and a couple bungee cords to lash the hub together instead of putting back in the bag.. then lash to what ever your riding..with a ratchet straps..

or get a custom rack made for your snow mobile/atv so you can access under the hood.. so it tilts when you pull two pins..  afterms a lot of custom fab work and I am sure you will have what you want!!  lols

Look up on Google images of bumper mount surf fishing set ups...  along with  pier carts, off shore jet ski set ups,  along with other atv set ups.. get some ideas before you start it plan it!!  if you got metal fab skills then your better off doing this your self.. get it up off the ice and on to the ride that has shocks that unroughens the ride for items like flashers and lantrens etc.. .. seen flasher screens cracked from bounceING around in the flip overy shanty...

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.