Author Topic: 36" Walleye?  (Read 1808 times)

Offline MNiceman

• Team IceShanty Regular
36" Walleye?
« on: Nov 30, 2012, 04:13 PM »
I'm hearing rumers of a 36" walleye that was pulled out of ririe. Is any of this true. And that the fish and game are worried because the walleye numbers have gone up considerably.  I'm wondering if there is any truth to any of this if so I'm going to hit that lake harder than ever!
MNiceman
Always remember, keep your stick on the ice- Red & Green

Offline Groundtrac

• Team IceShanty Regular
Re: 36" Walleye?
« Reply #1 on: Nov 30, 2012, 05:31 PM »
I have no idea about the fish.  The F&G did say in the paper the other day that they are concerned about Walleye in Ririe reservoir because during a recent creel survey they found a lot of juvenile walleye, which means they are reproducing.  The reason they are concerned about this is because of how much money they pump into the kokanee program there.  I don't personally know how I feel about all of it yet, but that is just what the article was saying.  They have a no limit regulation on walleye at Ririe reservoir right now.  Personally, as soon as it freezes I'm going to be up there trying to catch em.

Offline curt69

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #2 on: Nov 30, 2012, 10:21 PM »
The longest one I have heard of was 26" .
Catch'em and Eat'em

Offline Reel trouble

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #3 on: Nov 30, 2012, 11:35 PM »
 wouldn't a 36 ' walleye be just about what the state record was ?

Offline muskyon46

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceShantyholic
  • Wishin I was Fishin><{}:>
« Reply #4 on: Dec 01, 2012, 12:11 AM »

I believe your right, if my memory serves me right dan johson at wilderness taxidermy here in utah did the mount and i seen it when we were picking my buddies brown up. It was a hog
     Wyoming & Idaho    

Offline missoulafish

• Team IceShantyholic
  • TēM HîPē FÿSh
« Reply #5 on: Dec 01, 2012, 02:09 AM »
36" eye is close to 18 pounds.Wow!!!

Offline Bearsfan

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #6 on: Dec 01, 2012, 06:21 AM »

34" I think is the current record. Either way it would be fun yanking those out of the ice.

Offline curt69

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #7 on: Dec 01, 2012, 08:41 PM »
The state record is 17#12 oz 33.5" long.
Catch'em and Eat'em

Offline MNiceman

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #8 on: Dec 02, 2012, 11:44 PM »
Groundtrac thanks for the info about the paper.  I never got a chance to read it.  I personally do not see it as a bad thing.  Kokanee are not meant to be land locked fish as I have read.  So I don't understand why the F&G keeps dumping money into it.  Granted they are good tasting, but if you ask me a walleye is better, and more fun to catch. 
I guess I don't understand why the fish and game keep dumping all this money into the native fish species.  I understand that they are native, however the dams are not and that is why the numbers dwindle and the F&G keeps haveing to dump money into it.  Again all personal opinion. 
I kinda thought a 36" walleye was a rumor simply because of the fact that it would have been a new record.  Hell that would be a record in a lot of the states.  26" is much more believable.

"Always remember, keep your stick on the ice"-Red and Green
Always remember, keep your stick on the ice- Red & Green

Offline iceokie06

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #9 on: Dec 03, 2012, 09:24 AM »
Wow, I didnt know there were walleye in Ririe. I've never fished for them before, guess i'll give it a try, that is if we ever get cold enough weather to get some good ice!

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.