Author Topic: Baitcasting Ice Fishing Reels  (Read 13369 times)

Offline toydevil48

• Team IceShanty Regular
Re: Baitcasting Ice Fishing Reels
« Reply #30 on: Jan 02, 2015, 09:36 PM »
Revos with 10# power pro...the cheap blue rods with the orange tip in 28" light  are perfect bait caster rods for walleyes...I forget the name of them

Offline FISHN NIK

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #31 on: Jan 02, 2015, 09:43 PM »
Toydevil.
            Are you talking about the HT rod?

Offline alaskaruss1

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #32 on: Jan 02, 2015, 09:43 PM »
I have one and it's one of my more active reel/rod rigs.
Rigged with 4-6lb. ice braid with a 6 lb. mono leader.
Thanks needed to hear from someone on how it works. Going to get one ordered up. :bow:

Offline rufishn2

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #33 on: Jan 05, 2015, 12:40 AM »
Eliminates the line twist using the baitcaster.
team "off all winter"

Offline Chris Raymond

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Lifelong Outdoorsman
« Reply #34 on: Jan 05, 2015, 09:45 AM »
Eliminates the line twist using the baitcaster.

???  There shouldn't be much if any line twist with a baitcaster.  It's spinning reels that will impart twist. 
Chris Raymond

Offline jigerjim

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Ice Fishing Rulez!
« Reply #35 on: Jan 06, 2015, 11:05 AM »
I have been reading through old threads trying to decide on a low profile baitcaster that is compact in size and has a good drag. Was looking at the Bass Pro Crappie b aitcast reel and wondering if anyone has any input on them? ???

I have 3 of them all 3 are junk, none of them lasted 1/2 the season. I use an old Shamano bantam 100 it will drop a 1/64 oz jid with out any help. I wish I had a few more them.
Always keep your line wet!

Offline fowl_language

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #36 on: Jan 06, 2015, 11:27 AM »
revpilot,

On those spiral guides, when you're fighting a fish how does the rod bend? The spiral is interesting, I'll probably have to make a rod like that to try it out.  Is the spine down, up or sideways? On larger fish does the rod want to spin to the left?

What's the advantage of having the tip and last guides face down? Does it increase speed on lure drop?  Thanks for the input.

Offline Monovasia

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #37 on: Jan 07, 2015, 10:53 PM »
I go "old school" Shimano Quantum Bantam 100 with the rosewood handles....my favorite reel for all kinds of fishing and it is almost 30 years old!

Offline FISHN NIK

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #38 on: Jan 08, 2015, 01:11 AM »
Fowl,
       I think I can answer that,when you use a baitcaster with the eyes up the line can rub on the rod and could fray the light line and cause you to loose a fish.That's one advantage with inline reels,you can use a spinning rod so the eyes are down,I'm not sure how much twist there would be on the offset eyes but my buddy used to use a similar rod for wire line trolling.I can't remember if there was much twist or not with that rod but the extra length may have compensated for that.

FN

Offline revpilot

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #39 on: Jan 08, 2015, 11:01 AM »
revpilot,

On those spiral guides, when you're fighting a fish how does the rod bend? The spiral is interesting, I'll probably have to make a rod like that to try it out.  Is the spine down, up or sideways? On larger fish does the rod want to spin to the left?

What's the advantage of having the tip and last guides face down? Does it increase speed on lure drop?  Thanks for the input.

the spine is down, like a spinning rod. Ive never had a problem with rod bending sideways with up to 13lb walleye. Ive only ever used them on walleyes.  I like it for the fact of never having to deal with line twist and you get the same feel, to me  even better,  as if you were jigging a spinning rod. Just hit the button and go, no messing with bails.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.