The ice fishing VT boards are sponsored by:

Author Topic: Hey VT'ers  (Read 4006 times)

Offline Little Brown Dog

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • My fishing partner
Hey VT'ers
« on: Oct 27, 2007, 11:30 AM »
We now have our own message board and I didn't want it to sit empty.  What are you up to this fall?  Anything new?  My new little brown dog is doing great, having a lot of fun bird hunting.  Waiting for ice...

"My biggest worry is that when I die, my wife will sell all of my ice fishing gear for what I told her I paid for it"

Offline Art 53

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Good things come to those who bait
Re: Hey VT'ers
« Reply #1 on: Oct 28, 2007, 07:08 PM »
Hey LBD congrats on little Brown dog That didn't take long  please post a pic  I miss my spainiel ART

Offline vermonner

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Take me to your icefishing leader
« Reply #2 on: Nov 05, 2007, 11:47 AM »
I saw him I saw him.  My buddy's father in law (a friend of mine, too) said he saw a monster buck the other night by his son in law's house (my buddy's).  Leaving his place after the Habs-Leafs game saturday and driving home, there he was in a ditch on the side of the road!!!!!  Head just about level with the pavement.  Methusalah--Rackzilla and the body of a Ford F-150.  That's what I'll be doing for the next couple of weeks ;D ;D ;D.  Hope I see him again

The employment of effort, hard work, time, and energy put in locating fish will offend noone.

Offline Gezzah

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #3 on: Nov 09, 2007, 07:38 AM »
Has anybody ever fished Lake Dunmore before and had any success with catching Rainbows or Browns?? I know for a fact there are some monsters in there, but what are the best methods to try and catch one as they are more elusive than the lakers!
"Bragging may not bring happiness, but no man having caught a large fish goes home through an alley."

Offline Spike

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #4 on: Nov 11, 2007, 06:49 AM »
Not to steal from your wanting info on rainbows, Gezzah.  But I have never fished Dunmore.  I like the depths and the variety of fish.  I however, am interested to know if one could spend a day out there and have success woth perch.  I typically fish a little further south along the CT setbacks.  thanks for any pre-season tips.

Offline jan from VT

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #5 on: Nov 11, 2007, 04:56 PM »
Dunmore rocks early in my opinion....nice to have a thread just for us VTers!

Offline Gezzah

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #6 on: Nov 13, 2007, 07:03 AM »
You will have success with Perch in the south end of the lake which is shallow. Dunmore is a good lake in that it does not have an extreme amount of traffic, and if you get there early you normally will get your spot.
"Bragging may not bring happiness, but no man having caught a large fish goes home through an alley."

Offline Gezzah

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #7 on: Nov 13, 2007, 12:21 PM »
Does anybody know when and where there are some ice fishing derbies this year in Vermont?? I know Dunmore has a small one but I am unsure of the date. Any others people know about?

Offline vermonner

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Take me to your icefishing leader
« Reply #8 on: Nov 13, 2007, 03:40 PM »
There's usually one on Missisqoui bay-lake champlain--2nd or 3rd weekend in Feb.  Run by Martin's general store/Capt. Gil Martin in Missisquoi.

The employment of effort, hard work, time, and energy put in locating fish will offend noone.

Offline ChamplainTigerShark

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #9 on: Nov 13, 2007, 05:49 PM »
The St. Albans fire department holds and annual yellow perch (Champlain Tiger Sharks) derby on St. Albans bay (Lake Champlain), I believe it is in March.

Offline Little Brown Dog

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • My fishing partner
« Reply #10 on: Nov 15, 2007, 07:58 AM »
They will all be listed here eventually.

http://www.vtfishandwildlife.com/fishingtournaments_search.cfm

There is down home (Benson FD)
Great Benson
Bomoseen
Frosty (St. Catherine)
Wells FD (St. Catherine)
Dunmore

"My biggest worry is that when I die, my wife will sell all of my ice fishing gear for what I told her I paid for it"

Offline edp13

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #11 on: Nov 15, 2007, 10:30 AM »
cant wait for the benson derby
Slaying fish on the hard water

Offline Gezzah

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #12 on: Nov 15, 2007, 10:31 AM »
Is the great Benson the one that is held over several lakes??

Offline Pike Dude

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #13 on: Nov 15, 2007, 11:25 AM »
The Graet benson and Down Home are held over severeal lakes. Their is also the Hortonia derby.

Offline fishfarmer69

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #14 on: Nov 20, 2007, 04:13 PM »
Gezzah,

I've put a little time on Dunmore in the winter. As for big rainbows, there are a few, the extreme south end of the lake as well as North Cove seemed to be where larger rainbows are usually caught. Youll be setting in shallow water, like 10 feet. There are some browns in there, but it is stocked with salmon, larger fish are usually caught off Sucker Brook and sometimes salmon are caught early in the south end of the lake as well around the same areas that rainbows are caught.

The best times I've had for salmon are early morning and evenings, set a few feet below the ice. I've never personally caught any monsters in the winter, but catch all my salmon just under the ice. I use a long leader 3 feet or so and very little shot or a small barrel weight so the fish don't drop it.

Offline Gezzah

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #15 on: Nov 21, 2007, 07:07 AM »
Thanks for the info fish farmer.... I tend to stick to the north end of Dunmore, less crowded and not as many warm water species.... Will definitely employ the method of fishing just under the ice. Last year I caught plenty of lakers fishing with my bait about a foot off the bottom. Will also be setting up BEFORE first light instead of after, even if the bait laws require me to drive to Swanton the day before to get bait!!

Offline fishfarmer69

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #16 on: Nov 21, 2007, 09:03 AM »
I'd check the VT F&W website for approved places for bait, your place in Swanton may be in the Champlain Zone and won't sell you bait for Interior Zone(Dunmore).

Offline Gezzah

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #17 on: Nov 21, 2007, 09:05 AM »
There are four places in the Interior Zone and the Swanton one is the closest to my place.... I often go to the Otter Creek Bait store but they are hardly open during the week except for 3 hours from 6 to 9am. Makes it tough if you want to be on the ice before first light.

Offline VERMONSTER

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • If I have just one wish! Ill take Panfish!!!
« Reply #18 on: Dec 28, 2007, 02:45 PM »
 I USE TO LIVE ON DUNMORE ITS A GREAT FISHERY BUT FRUSTRATING AT TIMES. IF YOUR IN THE AREA CHECK OUT THE KAMPERSVILLE STORE. THEY HOST THE ANNUAL DERBY THERE AND ERIC IS ALWAYS WILLING TO SHARE INFO ON THE HOT BITE. THE PRCH TEND TO BE ON THE SHORT SIDE. BUT THE SALMON/LAKE TROUTAND RAINBOW FISHING CAN BE AWESOME. CHECK YOUR REGS FOR SIZE&LIMTS. GOOD LUCK!!!
LCCC
Panfish Patrol!!

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.