Author Topic: will my ice shack be OK?  (Read 5406 times)

Offline connected

• IceShanty Rookie
will my ice shack be OK?
« on: Nov 29, 2009, 02:02 PM »
This is my first year that I'll be doing some serious ice fishing, I even went so far as to build a shack. My plan is to place it on a lake and leave it there through the season.

I'm really worried about people messing/destroying it when I'm not around. I don't plan on leaving anything in there and I have windows that people can look in and see there's nothing there. This is an 8x8 shack and I don't have a trailer so it would be a real pain loading it up when I leave.

What are your experiences? Are some lakes worst then others where vandalism is concerned?

Thanks guys

Jay

Offline C P

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Hold my beer and watch this
Re: will my ice shack be OK?
« Reply #1 on: Nov 29, 2009, 02:05 PM »
I would just make sure you get a paddleock for the door and I would think thats enough.
I caught a fish once! 

TEAM MITTEN

"EDITED"

Offline keepah seekah

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #2 on: Nov 29, 2009, 02:09 PM »
after you get yer hardside out on the ice, cut a 4 foot by 4 foot hole in front of the door. cut a piece of white styrofoam to size and stick in the hole, lightly camoflauged with some snow.  ;D
ps. make sure you mark it somehow so you don't forget it's there and take a cold dip!
i am a big supporter of PETA...."People Eating Tasty Animals"

"the green hornet strikes again gustafson!!!!"

Offline connected

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #3 on: Nov 29, 2009, 02:15 PM »
I would just make sure you get a paddleock for the door and I would think thats enough.
I actually have the door double padlocked

Offline connected

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #4 on: Nov 29, 2009, 02:17 PM »
after you get yer hardside out on the ice, cut a 4 foot by 4 foot hole in front of the door. cut a piece of white styrofoam to size and stick in the hole, lightly camoflauged with some snow.  ;D
ps. make sure you mark it somehow so you don't forget it's there and take a cold dip!
great idea, I could make the hole go all the way around the shack...like a moat  ;D

Offline C P

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #5 on: Nov 29, 2009, 02:39 PM »
You attach a car battery to the door handle and just shock the heck outa anyone who messes with it lol.  ;D :o
I caught a fish once! 

TEAM MITTEN

"EDITED"

Offline tippin2back

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • HOUSE ON THE LAKE WITH NO TAXES!
« Reply #6 on: Nov 29, 2009, 03:16 PM »
You attach a car battery to the door handle and just shock the heck outa anyone who messes with it lol.  ;D :o
........i like this idea better,death is not involved..lol....but your best bet is to take what you think is valuble, yes lock it, but leave the windows so they can see in, and see that its not worth breaking into......hopefully all will turn out o.k...
ICE TO THE TOP PLEASE!!!.....

Offline littlesturgeonguy

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #7 on: Nov 29, 2009, 06:08 PM »
install a solar powered electric fencer and hook it to the door knob/handle and hide an on/off switch between your runners out of site. i thought about doing this but i know i would forget and get myself, or get friends when they went out to take a wiz. now to the serious part i don't lock my shack anymore i have found if its locked and they want to get in they are going to cut the locks or rip the door off with a truck our something. i also leave it open in case someone get stranded they can light a fire and keep warm.

Offline C P

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #8 on: Nov 29, 2009, 06:18 PM »
install a solar powered electric fencer and hook it to the door knob/handle and hide an on/off switch between your runners out of site. i thought about doing this but i know i would forget and get myself, or get friends when they went out to take a wiz. now to the serious part i don't lock my shack anymore i have found if its locked and they want to get in they are going to cut the locks or rip the door off with a truck our something. i also leave it open in case someone get stranded they can light a fire and keep warm.

Now thats a good idea! I would probably shock myself to! I know if I ever had something like that I for sure would shock all of my fishing buddies just because it would be funny!  ;D :o
I caught a fish once! 

TEAM MITTEN

"EDITED"

Offline SkeeterJeff

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • SPUD, SPUD, SPUD!!!!!
« Reply #9 on: Nov 29, 2009, 06:46 PM »
If I ever have an opportunity to go with a permy, I'll strongly consider just leaving it unlocked but empty.  No reason to lock one up if it's empty, only to get the door ripped off for nothing. 

-Jeff

Offline Walleye64

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #10 on: Nov 29, 2009, 06:52 PM »
get a tracking devise for it, if they steal it.

Offline gaudetskie

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • It's called Leinenkugels and it means Great Beer!
« Reply #11 on: Nov 29, 2009, 08:28 PM »
First figure out how much $ you have into it, then add your time to build it at $50.00/hr. Take the total amount to the wife, or girl-friend, and tell her that you should really make sure it's safe at all times. Then fish 24/7 till the ice thaws! If the lights on inside, "they" should leave it alone!  ;D 8)

If your going to play Russian Roulette, use a gun with a clip and don't go first!

Offline Kodiakman

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Start everyday as if it has a purpose.
« Reply #12 on: Nov 30, 2009, 07:36 PM »
get a tracking devise for it, if they steal it.

LoL, ice shanty Low Jack???

Offline Traxion

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Hardwater Nut!
« Reply #13 on: Dec 01, 2009, 09:28 AM »
I would leave it unlocked too probably, if it is empty.  Bottom line is they are going to get in if they want, regardless of padlocks, etc.  Only thing that will happen is they will halfway destroy it anyway.  Risks each way, just have to decided.  I know several shacks that have been broken into, but lots of others that have never been touched. 

Offline stoutbait

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • In ice we trust... sometimes
« Reply #14 on: Dec 01, 2009, 09:35 AM »
I keep it empty as possible but still lock it up. Never had any issue with break in. Granted we fish alot, and the lake is well travelled, and no vehicle are allowed on after 9pm
Tight lines and safe fishing.

Offline littlesturgeonguy

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #15 on: Dec 01, 2009, 09:47 AM »
The way i see it they figure if its locked you have things in it.

Offline ice dawg

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShantyholic
  • Tawny-"Ice Pooch"
« Reply #16 on: Dec 01, 2009, 11:06 AM »
I lock mine, but I don't have curtains in it so people can see that it is empty. It is very uncommon to have a shack broken into around here also.
It seems to go from zero to hero all some have to do is lie.

Offline michianafisherman

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Pleasant Times At Pleasant Lake
« Reply #17 on: Dec 01, 2009, 11:19 AM »
I made my shack to go with me when I go. I would love to make a shack I could leave out for a month or so but the weather in my area changes so fast that by the time I went to get it off the ice after work it would be too late. Most in my area that have hardsides leave them on the shore for just this reason. Stupid global warming!! I do like having my shanty with me at all times when going to different lakes all season.
HELD HOSTAGE BY PHOTOBUCKET

Offline Cargo

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Hardwater Nut!
« Reply #18 on: Dec 04, 2009, 05:14 AM »
I have a fishhouse that I have left at the lake for the last couple of years. I lock it, but I try not to leave anything in it that I could not live without, if it did happen to get broke into. Good luck and don't worry. 

Offline royjulius

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Top 5 Pike:14-5,15-5,15-10,17-0,18-4, 2B cont.
« Reply #19 on: Dec 04, 2009, 10:22 AM »
I have never had a problem here in the Black Hills. When I had my permanent I left it unlocked. :tipup: :tipup: :tipup:

Offline connected

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #20 on: Dec 04, 2009, 12:01 PM »
Thanks for all the replies. I'll leave it locked with the windows uncovered so any potential perp can see nothing is in there. I'll also chain it to the ice.

Offline stumper

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Never settle for less
« Reply #21 on: Dec 04, 2009, 07:05 PM »
I dont take everything out of mine,but dont leave much of any value. I lock it,but use a cheap hasp. IF they break in I dont want to be replacing the door, just the hasp.Have only been hit once and that was my own stupidity for leaving it in an unlit parking area by the lake.

Offline BowTieGuy00

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #22 on: Dec 09, 2009, 07:09 PM »
You could just let me use it when your not.  ;) That way someone is there 24/7.

Offline connected

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #23 on: Dec 10, 2009, 08:32 AM »
Thats not a bad idea... ;)

Offline MAXonr1

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #24 on: Dec 10, 2009, 01:44 PM »
What lake did you decide to go with?  I will be putting my shack on Stockade this weekend.  I HOPE THERE IS ENOUGH ICE...

Offline connected

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #25 on: Dec 11, 2009, 07:36 AM »
What lake did you decide to go with?  I will be putting my shack on Stockade this weekend.  I HOPE THERE IS ENOUGH ICE...
I haven't decided yet. I'm thinking either to Wall, Brandt, Diamond

Offline nodakbassmaster

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Hardwater Nut!
« Reply #26 on: Dec 16, 2009, 04:54 AM »
either way, doubt you'll have a problem. Farther it is from shore, I'd surmise less likely the potential problems....

unless it's a really high dollar item, it ought to be fine.
-Richard

Not enough ice or time... not necessarily in that order.

Offline connected

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #27 on: Dec 16, 2009, 07:50 AM »
either way, doubt you'll have a problem. Farther it is from shore, I'd surmise less likely the potential problems....

unless it's a really high dollar item, it ought to be fine.
Hope your right,

Think I'll throw Vermillion into the mix and take Brandt out. Have heard there are too many snowmobilers on the ice. :-\

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.