The ice fishing VT boards are sponsored by:

Author Topic: Champlain whites  (Read 44814 times)

Offline Sacospinner

• IceShanty Rookie
Re: Champlain whites
« Reply #90 on: Mar 17, 2019, 06:44 AM »
Is it still possible to drive onto the ice up there?

Offline Pickerelslayer

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #91 on: Mar 17, 2019, 10:40 AM »
They’re starting to turn on but you’ve got to hop around a little. I got a couple pretty good ones that were 12 and 13”.

Offline thefishingweatherman

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #92 on: Mar 17, 2019, 03:35 PM »

Yep. People driving all over the bay today.

Offline bootstrap

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #93 on: Mar 17, 2019, 03:49 PM »
5 of us are coming up for the week to fish. how many buckets should we bring with us?

Offline Theshad

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #94 on: Mar 17, 2019, 04:09 PM »
5 of us are coming up for the week to fish. how many buckets should we bring with us?

1 of the small plastic bait buckets.

Offline mudchuck

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #95 on: Mar 17, 2019, 06:09 PM »

Well there were vehicles all around today, but beware and use good judgement as there were holes from the warm spell Friday that can swallow a person and certainly cause havoc with a wheel dropping into one of them.
To put things in perspective, there was 20” of ice this time last weekend and the warm spell and high sun have taken some of that away for good. I measure again this morning and it’s only 16”

Offline Pickerelslayer

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #96 on: Mar 17, 2019, 07:21 PM »
I don’t think I’d drive out but that’s just me. I saw multiple vehicles drive over the crack coming off the point and was nervous that one wasn’t going to be so lucky.

Offline Royalkangaroo

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #97 on: Mar 17, 2019, 08:39 PM »
I don’t think I’d drive out but that’s just me. I saw multiple vehicles drive over the crack coming off the point and was nervous that one wasn’t going to be so lucky.

I second this, I tapped a dark spot in the ice with my boot heel today right next to where I set up.  Broke clean through, no more than an inch of ice, probably 2 feet in diameter.  Easily 20” where my tip ups were. Be safe out there.

Offline bootstrap

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #98 on: Mar 17, 2019, 09:41 PM »
cant be any worse than driving on pine street in burlington.

Offline Sacospinner

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #99 on: Mar 18, 2019, 06:05 AM »
Thanks for the heads up. I'll walk. I don't need a new truck just yet!

Offline VTMatt

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #100 on: Mar 18, 2019, 09:19 AM »

Hahaha

Offline NHHARDWATER

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • -Aaron-
« Reply #101 on: Mar 18, 2019, 09:29 AM »

:roflmao:
Chasing Ice

Offline NHHARDWATER

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • -Aaron-
« Reply #102 on: Mar 18, 2019, 09:35 AM »
I was out in the bay yesterday with a good group of fishermen. Everyone seemed to be catching pretty steady.
I went home with about 2 buckets. The school held well with the group that was there. Still a bit sensitive to noise on the ice (jet sleds, vehicles etc) but hung around I assume due to the amount of jigs down there.
Chasing Ice

Offline keithm87

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #103 on: Mar 18, 2019, 11:28 AM »
Just got a text from a buddy looks like they are still biting today! Reminder to those who join the madness NO GAS AUGERS 5 feet from other fishermen! That may be my #1 pet peeve with fishing the madhouse that is hathaway when the whites are in. the inevitable guy who shows up with his 40 year old Jiffy that is louder than a harley and drills in the middle of the group scattering the fish! We will drill your hole if you promise to not fire the gas or propane auger up!

Offline mudchuck

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #104 on: Mar 18, 2019, 11:49 AM »
Just got a text from a buddy looks like they are still biting today! Reminder to those who join the madness NO GAS AUGERS 5 feet from other fishermen! That may be my #1 pet peeve with fishing the madhouse that is hathaway when the whites are in. the inevitable guy who shows up with his 40 year old Jiffy that is louder than a harley and drills in the middle of the group scattering the fish! We will drill your hole if you promise to not fire the gas or propane auger up!

INDEED!
 :P ;D :tipup:

Offline wmhunts

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Wes McRae
« Reply #105 on: Mar 18, 2019, 12:12 PM »
I'm bringing my Eskimo z71 with a dull 10" bit!!!!
Screw that fancy new electric thing I got
Come on get on the ice fish!!

Offline Light liner

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Rather be judged by 12 then carried by 6.
« Reply #106 on: Mar 18, 2019, 12:36 PM »
My auger broke so im bringing a steel bar.
Champlain
Memphremagog

Offline koissu

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #107 on: Mar 18, 2019, 01:51 PM »
Got there at 7am today and there were already probably 7 vehicles and other people on foot out there. I walked around for an hour drilling holes but couldn't find them, didn't look like anyone else was. Popped a hole a bit later and then didn't have to move for almost 4 hours until I left. Managed about a bucket and a half but no 14" +. Was really feeling nice with the sun out by the time I left at 12:30.

Offline Smelty88

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #108 on: Mar 18, 2019, 04:46 PM »
I got out there around 9 and stopped by a guy on the outskirts of the group that said he was not catching anything and had nothing on the ice. So i figured the group was just that a group. Drove out to deeper water tried a few spots with only small yellows. Decided to drive back to the group park on the outside and walked in and found a spot to sit. Managed 63lbs. 45lbs of larges, multiple the size of some small bass. Couple of my big ones where just shy of 2lbs. Not a bad way to spend a day off from work!

Got there at 7am today and there were already probably 7 vehicles and other people on foot out there. I walked around for an hour drilling holes but couldn't find them, didn't look like anyone else was. Popped a hole a bit later and then didn't have to move for almost 4 hours until I left. Managed about a bucket and a half but no 14" +. Was really feeling nice with the sun out by the time I left at 12:30.
Think I'm gettin abite my flag's twitchin
twitter@wefishing2day IG: Smelty88

Offline FishinRookie

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #109 on: Mar 18, 2019, 05:02 PM »
I got out there around 9 and stopped by a guy on the outskirts of the group that said he was not catching anything and had nothing on the ice. So i figured the group was just that a group. Drove out to deeper water tried a few spots with only small yellows. Decided to drive back to the group park on the outside and walked in and found a spot to sit. Managed 63lbs. 45lbs of larges, multiple the size of some small bass. Couple of my big ones where just shy of 2lbs. Not a bad way to spend a day off from work!

(Image removed from quote.)

Nice catch. I ended up with about the same today. Where you in the red eskimo with the propane tank?

Offline Light liner

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Rather be judged by 12 then carried by 6.
« Reply #110 on: Mar 18, 2019, 05:03 PM »
Champlain
Memphremagog

Offline Smelty88

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #111 on: Mar 18, 2019, 05:09 PM »
Yes the inferno! That was me! never moved from that hole!

Nice catch. I ended up with about the same today. Where you in the red eskimo with the propane tank?

Think I'm gettin abite my flag's twitchin
twitter@wefishing2day IG: Smelty88

Offline ice fiend

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • im a die hard ice fishing addict 'nuff said
« Reply #112 on: Mar 18, 2019, 09:09 PM »
Nice!!! With no vehicle at the moment I fear I’m going to miss the run this year but oh well the circus is really going to be in saint Albans now with those photos lol
i told myself id be back by 2 i guess i didnt factor in that the fish were biting

Offline thefishingweatherman

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #113 on: Mar 19, 2019, 06:17 AM »
Nice!!! With no vehicle at the moment I fear I’m going to miss the run this year but oh well the circus is really going to be in saint Albans now with those photos lol

The ice will likely hold for at least another week or two, so get out there while you can! Judging by the crowd this weekend, word is out!

Offline VTMatt

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #114 on: Mar 19, 2019, 08:09 AM »
Who's going today?  Bringing a novice coworker out after work.  Should I even bother swapping my 8" back to a 6, or are the fish pretty much in the same area as always?

Offline NHHARDWATER

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • -Aaron-
« Reply #115 on: Mar 19, 2019, 08:50 AM »
Who's going today?  Bringing a novice coworker out after work.  Should I even bother swapping my 8" back to a 6, or are the fish pretty much in the same area as always?

Matt, same as usual. you will see the swiss cheese
Chasing Ice

Offline VTMatt

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #116 on: Mar 19, 2019, 11:47 AM »
Matt, same as usual. you will see the swiss cheese

Sweet. 

Offline mudchuck

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #117 on: Mar 19, 2019, 05:29 PM »
The forecast for Saturday looks worse than the wind encountered this past Saturday!
If it’s howling I’m not going out again as it was brutal enough last time, this forecast has 25mph steady with 35mph gusts!

Get it while you can peeps!

Offline Trout_Tickler

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #118 on: Mar 19, 2019, 07:41 PM »
Was out in front of the boat launch at Hathaway today, not a single fish. They must be out deeper??

Offline koissu

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #119 on: Mar 19, 2019, 08:27 PM »
Was out in front of the boat launch at Hathaway today, not a single fish. They must be out deeper??

It took me an hour to find them Monday. Were you moving around?

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.