Author Topic: Best Setup for trophy Bluegills  (Read 11219 times)

Offline Jigging Nomad

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Jigging Nomad
Best Setup for trophy Bluegills
« on: Nov 27, 2009, 11:53 AM »
Rod
Reel
Line
Jig/Bait

What do you prefer?

I have a bunch of jigging sticks, all St. Croix paired with Cabela's Prestige UL spinning reels and either Trilene Micro Ice or Sunline Sniper Line in 1 to 5 lb. test.  I tend to use a Diamond Eye Jig tipped with a waxworm or a spike if they are finicky.  I do decent with big bluegill (mostly because of the Vexilar), but I am wondering what others consider their best rod, reel, line and bait for trophy size Bluegill.

Thanks in advance.  
Looking for JUMBO Perch, Crappie, and Bluegill

Offline TIBS

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Tipup!!!!!
Re: Best Setup for trophy Bluegills
« Reply #1 on: Nov 27, 2009, 12:06 PM »
Trophy bluegills?

You need to find the right water first.  You could buy every trick in the book, but it won't make a difference if they aren't there to be caught.

Offline Jigging Nomad

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Jigging Nomad
« Reply #2 on: Nov 27, 2009, 12:23 PM »
I should have stated that.  I have a local lake that has produced several dozen over 10" over the past 3 winters, with some pushing 11". 

I just want to be able to catch them with more consistency.   

Offline icejunky

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceShantyholic
  • TEAM ONTARIO
« Reply #3 on: Nov 27, 2009, 12:29 PM »
Rod: either a st croix legend or a marmish rod

line: asso 2lb

jig: Arnold fair jig or Gill pill tipped with berkley honey worm or waxie

Offline TIBS

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Tipup!!!!!
« Reply #4 on: Nov 27, 2009, 12:48 PM »
I should have stated that.  I have a local lake that has produced several dozen over 10" over the past 3 winters, with some pushing 11". 

I just want to be able to catch them with more consistency.   

Rod & reel won't matter all that much.  I'd say use whatever the lightest line you feel comfortable using is the one to go with.  How you shake your pole however is the more important question. ;D  If you got an underwater camera, pay close attention to your jiggin action to see how fish respond to what you're doing, make changes as necessary, jig slower, faster, shorter lift, longer lift........ and so on.

You will need to experiment with jig and bait on the water you plan to fish.  If you're marking fish that won't bite or just catching dinks, it might just be a matter of switching your jig or using different bait.  All lakes seem to have their own specific tricks as to what works best, color, size, shape, jigging style, you're just going to need to put time in and be open to making adjustments as needed.  There's no "magic" bullet that's going to catch every big bluegill out there.  I've caught nice gills on everything from a #16 rocker jig to a 1/4 oz Swedish pimple (jigging for walleyes... I still can't believe that fish got the hook in it's mouth)

Unless this lake you fish goes rather untouched through the winter, consistently catching 10" or bigger bluegills is almost a dream scenario these days rather than an attainable goal.  Especially if those fish are always being kept.  Around here, 10" bluegills are become rather rare, I remember catching a bunch of these back in the 80's but there's soooooo much more fishing pressure these days......

Be willing to make a lot of changes to see what trips these fish's trigger.  That's the best advice I can give you.

Offline slipperybob

• Team IceShantyholic
  • LX5 or die...maybe extra battery.
« Reply #5 on: Nov 27, 2009, 09:52 PM »
I've never personally caught a 10" bluegill becuase I've haven't spent the time to chase these guys.  I'm content with my numbers of 8-9" eaters.  I usually catch my bluegills in the mix of crappie fishing.

So for me, a simple round jig head tipped with some microplastics.  I have been using Flu Flu jigs and they have worked well for me.  I like the slightly slower fall of the feathered jig.  Mud bugs, gill getters, diamond jigs, all work too.  Even small spoons and inline spinners have produced for me.

I have done well with Gamma ESP 2# line.  My rods of preference happens to be Thorne Bros Panfish rods 32" length.  One has a Stradic FI 1000 reel.  The other has a Chronarch 50 MG reel. 
For more information read my MN nice journal

Offline CrappieBuster

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #6 on: Nov 27, 2009, 10:31 PM »
Ive got a 10 inch bluegill lake.  Theyre all carbon copys 2.  Only bluegills ive ever fished that take down fatheads without thinking about it.  They show up on the vex in groups of 2s or 3s for 10 mins or so then theyre gone for 20.

Offline Swift

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #7 on: Nov 30, 2009, 09:07 AM »
Surprising the size of monster 'gills that I've caught over the years on a Jigging Rap or something similar. See them as almost a separate species if targeting them, they surely don't act like their smaller relatives. Bigger baits, normally, that can be very specific (size, shape, presentation) at the time and not where the little ones are for the most part. They may drift in for a visit to sample the local cuisine on occasion but it's not where they hang out. Almost like pursuing a predatory fish after reaching a certain size

Offline Jigging Nomad

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Jigging Nomad
« Reply #8 on: Nov 30, 2009, 01:13 PM »
QUOTE:Unless this lake you fish goes rather untouched through the winter, consistently catching 10" or bigger bluegills is almost a dream scenario these days rather than an attainable goal.  Especially if those fish are always being kept.  Around here, 10" bluegills are become rather rare, I remember catching a bunch of these back in the 80's but there's soooooo much more fishing pressure these days......

Nobody seems to pay any attention to Bluegill here in CT other than me and a few friends, and I must admit that in open water I am ALWAYS bass fishing.  I am going to keep my Bluegill jigging rods/reels spooled with only 1 to 2 lb. line, as there really is no need for heavier line.  I bought some Maki Plastics recently that I am eager to use in addition to live waxworms and spikes.  

Thanks for all the responses.  

Offline Townie

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #9 on: Dec 02, 2009, 02:32 PM »
Mike, the combo on my wishlist this season is a Shimano Symetre FJ 500 paired w/ St. Croix Legend 24" Light rod.

My fav gill combo previously was a 28" Thorne Bros. panfish sweetheart & Pinnacle Alyssa CR-15...

I'm trying Suffix Ice Braid w/ 2# Gamma Ice Fluorocarbon as leader. Usually it's Berkley Micro ice in 3#...
Bulls, Jumbos & Slabs Oh My!

Offline Hardwaterhunter

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #10 on: Dec 02, 2009, 05:10 PM »
 My favorite setup is a Thorne Bros Quiverstick, Tica SS500 reel, 1lb Micro Ice and any jig in a size 8 or 10 that glows tipped with spikes or a waxie dependent on that given day. My favorite line of jigs has to be Custom Jigs and Spins, but there is a ton of jigs out there including homemade that will get the job done. It sure does`nt hurt to have a large body of water that is known for big gills.

Bob   

Offline Jigging Nomad

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Jigging Nomad
« Reply #11 on: Dec 02, 2009, 09:08 PM »
Townie,

I am keeping it to 1 and 2 lb. line this winter, I figure there is really no need to go higher than 2. 

I'll have a few other rods with 4 and 5 fluoro if I want to target bass and/or walleye. 

Offline Townie

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #12 on: Dec 03, 2009, 08:37 AM »
Also have a Cabela's XML 24" light rod; excellent for gilly's

Don't know if they stopped making them...

Offline Jigging Nomad

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Jigging Nomad
« Reply #13 on: Dec 03, 2009, 09:16 PM »
I have all St. Croixs, from 24" ul up to 32" M.   I can't wait for some ice. 

Offline Van_Cleaver

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #14 on: Dec 06, 2009, 11:32 AM »
I have a myriad of rods and jigs, but don't have one favorite. My best gill last year, (10''+) came on a dead stick on a horizontal jig. I think it pays to be open minded and try different tactics. I do like small horizontal jigs like Wolfram, Ratsos, and home made jobs, but a vertical tear drop, or small spoon with a dropper chain can sometimes be the ticket.

Offline fisherman1939

• IceShanty Rookie
  • JIG...JIG...JIG...
« Reply #15 on: Jan 07, 2010, 08:29 AM »
finding the jumbo's is hard ,but they r still out there.

Offline captain54

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #16 on: Jan 07, 2010, 08:45 AM »
Hushbass,you of all people don't need any help,your sitting on some premier Gill county, if my lake doesn't freeze soon you may have some company.You pound more giants than anybody,my go to lake gives up great gills in 8- 9 1/2 range with a couple a year over 10,pure blues are hard to come by over 10 inches,hybrids are a little easier. I always look forward to your BIG GILL PICS. Good fishing

Offline Jigging Nomad

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Jigging Nomad
« Reply #17 on: Jan 07, 2010, 12:12 PM »
Thanks Captain.  This is only my 4th season on the ice, and I'm always looking to learn more.  I have really enjoyed using 1 lb. line this year, the results have been very good and no breakoffs or other issues.

I haven't caught any giant gills yet this winter.  The best has been right at 9", with a bunch more at 8.5 to 8.75 or so.   I really hope to get into some 10" plus this winter, but my "trophy" lake has been producing mostly yellow perch and largemouth.

Best of luck out there, I look forward to your reports.   

Offline Van_Cleaver

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #18 on: Feb 06, 2010, 09:47 AM »
Big gills have been a little tougher here, as well. The private lake where we were slamming them last year has been stingy, though I released a legit ten in. earlier this season. Yesterday they were hitting a horizontal rocker jig on a Windlass tip up, for some odd reason.
This guy went back

These will be enjoyed tonight; biggest three are all nine in.

Offline Townie

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #19 on: Feb 07, 2010, 03:27 PM »
Excellent work VC :thumbsup:

Offline Van_Cleaver

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #20 on: Feb 07, 2010, 03:36 PM »
Thanks; I felt a little sheepish about hood winking them that way; but all's fair in love and gill fishing ;) My biggest gill ever did come on a similar horizontal jig fished on a dead stick. I did jig up most of the fish in that pic on a small gold Wolfram.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.