The ice fishing MN boards are sponsored by:

Author Topic: Any Hot Lakes to Ice Fish in the Metro Area St. Paul/Minneapolis?  (Read 3071 times)

Offline 2izm

• IceShanty Rookie
I've been ice fishing for the past few years and almost every year I have been out to the same lakes in the metro area.  Those lakes are  White Bear Lake, Bald Eagle Lake, Phalen Lake, South Center Lake, and Lake Gervais.  I live within 5-10 minutes of all of those lakes except South Center Lake of course, which is a good half hour drive or more.........but anyways, I want to know if anybody else has ice fished any other local lakes that are considered to be popular and productive.  All of those lakes I have mentioned gave me some very, very, very nice fishes in both quality and quantity, especially crappies, perches, and walleyes.  South Center has always given me my limit on crappies and this year - for once - I actually caught 10 walleyes within one hour before the ice on the lake became thicker than 10 inches, which was unbelievable and they were all 2-5 lbs each!   Where did I catch them?  In the 40 foot area on the west side of the lake if you're coming from Hwy 8.  As for White Bear Lake - jumbo perches ranging from 6-10 inches in the southeastern side of the lake in 20 feet of water where all the rocks and gravels are located -- has been very kind to me.  Phalen Lake has been one of the harder lakes to come by with fishes, but the lake has given me a few 30 plus inch Northern Pikes and 15 - 21 inch Walleyes just this winter of 2007, which were all caught by the boating launch area in 10 feet of water located on the north end of the lake for the pikes and as for the walleyes - they were caught in the north end of the lake, but in 40 plus feet of water.  As for Lake Gervais - I have been there only once this winter and had a few panfishes.  Bald Eagle Lake - crappies in about 30 feet of water by the southern end of the island and a few nice walleyes 15 - 24 inches in the same area as well.  I caught all of these fishes both during the day and night so I guess it doesn't really matter unless I was just there at the right time and place - everytime...anyways... however, I don't recall what the weather was like so keep that in mind.  Well - I have shared with you my personal experiences on these lakes so I hope you will return the same as well.  Thanks.  Can't wait for gamefish to re-open again! ;D

Offline Hard Ice

• Team IceShanty Maniac
 ''jumbo perches ranging from 6-10 inches ''
-----------------------------------------------------------------
your kidding right ?
Hard Ice

Offline Badgermilk27

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Git-R-Done
I caught a "jumbo" 10" perch too...another name for that one is DINK
LURE (n): expensive metal or plastic device used to locate rocks and trees on lake and river bottoms.  (also see: disposable)

Offline Hard Ice

• Team IceShanty Maniac
add 3'' to that 10'' now you have a ''jumbo''
Hard Ice

Offline Badgermilk27

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Git-R-Done
add 3'' to that 10'' now you have a ''jumbo''
Hopefully be catching those this monday or tuesday up at the big lake!!
LURE (n): expensive metal or plastic device used to locate rocks and trees on lake and river bottoms.  (also see: disposable)

Offline Skipper

• Iceshanty Retired Mod
  • Team IceShantyholic
How much snow is on the lake? are they still plowing?

Offline Hard Ice

• Team IceShanty Maniac
not sure Skipper wanted to get over there today and check it out but the snow changed my mind..
Hard Ice

Offline 2izm

• IceShanty Rookie
Yes there are nice size perches on White Bear Lake ranging from 6-10 inches.  You may not believe me, but I have caught them.  Either take my word for it or go test it out yourself. 

* I have received an email informing me not to expose my "GOOD & POSTIVE" experiences on the lakes I have fished recently.  I thought about the content, but you know what - it's freedom of speech and I understand this informer wanted to protect the lake from overfishing...however, I'm sure not everybody will catch what I have mentioned in my previous post.  Maybe - I just got lucky so...in other words...nothing is guaranteed and therefore, do not take it personally. 

Offline Badgermilk27

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Git-R-Done
Its not that we don't believe you, but for some people, 6-10 inch perch are small...no worries about giving away your secret spots...I do it all the time.  Its called sharing the wealth...

Offline blake_b

• IceShanty Rookie
And as you can tell by the feedback on your post, not to many share anything on here, that is very usefull at least. :'(

Offline Skipper

• Iceshanty Retired Mod
  • Team IceShantyholic
And as you can tell by the feedback on your post, not to many share anything on here, that is very usefull at least. :'(

Boo hoo  ::)

Offline Hard Ice

• Team IceShanty Maniac
blake_b,
I'll do just about anything in my power to ether put you on fish or die trying..
as for my info it is very much as right as i can give ..
because i fish so many diff. lakes each year i can do that .. can you do that ?
Skipper p.m'ed me today asking about the brainerd lakes it just so happeneds i'm going that way tomarrow so i will do everything in my power to find if theres roads being plowed on the lakes....
Hard Ice

Offline Mr.Esox

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Keep it hard
Thanks for the info but the perch are DINKS !!!
Mr.Esox

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.