Author Topic: Weekend Fishing  (Read 3592 times)

Offline wrestler140

• IceShanty Rookie
Weekend Fishing
« on: Jan 27, 2008, 10:51 AM »
We went out on some local sandpitson friday even tried the lex city park lol not even a bite went out saturday to elwood tried many diffrent things and spots and were also unsuccseful was wondering if anyone else had any luck

Offline frozen1

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • I got a fever and the only cure is more ice fishn!
Re: Weekend Fishing
« Reply #1 on: Jan 27, 2008, 02:24 PM »
Went and fished the derby at Lake Manawa. There was well over 1000 people there. Caught fish the entire time but they all were on the small side. My son caught a 10.5 inch Crappie which was only a half inch short of third place for youth. Overall, had a good time and was amazed by the number of people fishing.

How was the ice at Elwood? Headind down there next week and will probably try Elwood or Johnson Lake.

Offline wrestler140

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #2 on: Jan 27, 2008, 03:21 PM »
Ice was very good 7-11 inches for us many people were out on 4 wheelers living in the area always wanted to try johnsons lots of walleye there have you ever had any luck there

Offline frozen1

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • I got a fever and the only cure is more ice fishn!
« Reply #3 on: Jan 27, 2008, 08:03 PM »
Ice was very good 7-11 inches for us many people were out on 4 wheelers living in the area always wanted to try johnsons lots of walleye there have you ever had any luck there

My father-in-law lives in Perch Bay at Johnson Lake. We have never ice fished it before. We have a few spots that we would like to try, just don't know why nobody fishes it through the ice. My father-in-law hasn't seen anybody ice fishing it this year. I know there is alot of walleye in that lake. Hopefully we will find some this weekend.

Offline JimQ

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #4 on: Jan 28, 2008, 10:09 AM »
Went out to Wolf-Wildcat Saturday.  S.E. of Beatice.

Took the girlfriend and her sister.  All three of us limited on BIG 'gills and a few Crappie.  I found a nice weed patch in about 5 FOW and took home 90 nice fish.  I spent 3 hours cleaning fish last night!

It was the first time Iwe took the new Aqua-Vu Scout XL out.  I set up the Vexilar in my hole and the Aqua-Vu in my girlfriends.  She LOVED it!  It kept her interested even when the fish weren't biting.  Pretty cool to see BIG Bass going in and out of screen.  Wish we could have iced a few of them!

Q

Offline Sorny

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #5 on: Jan 28, 2008, 03:35 PM »
We fished czechland Saturday afternoon and found the gills right away.  6 over 8" and the rest were just a little short.  Stayed for 2 hours after dark and only caught 1 crappie.  We were on fish the hole time just couldn't get them to bite.  Sunday we fished our private pit and caught a bunch of gills and crappie.  Most crappie in this pit are stunted with most fish around 9-9/12".  Had the auger break on us on sunday, so that has to be fixed before next weekend. 

Sorny

Offline gonephishin19

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • I CAN CATCH FISH IN A MUD PUDDLE
« Reply #6 on: Jan 28, 2008, 03:40 PM »
Went out to Wolf-Wildcat Saturday.  S.E. of Beatice.

Took the girlfriend and her sister.  All three of us limited on BIG 'gills and a few Crappie.  I found a nice weed patch in about 5 FOW and took home 90 nice fish.  I spent 3 hours cleaning fish last night!

It was the first time Iwe took the new Aqua-Vu Scout XL out.  I set up the Vexilar in my hole and the Aqua-Vu in my girlfriends.  She LOVED it!  It kept her interested even when the fish weren't biting.  Pretty cool to see BIG Bass going in and out of screen.  Wish we could have iced a few of them!

Q

Way to get the broads into it...I just bought a Marcum VX1 and keep telling my wife if she come out on the ice and see it she'll understand why im in love with it...and she just keeps calling me a moron and says she doesnt like icefishing ;D your way ahead of me. I can get her on the ice once a year at the local fishing derby.

Offline hardh2ofish

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #7 on: Jan 28, 2008, 08:51 PM »
These are a few that we caught saturday ;D  Caught quite a few kept these to clean  maybe 40, completely filled a five gal. bucket.

Fishing should be the exercise of your skills- and its rewards the places it brings you to
                                                                           Negley Farson
Going Fishing

Offline waterloofisher

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #8 on: Jan 28, 2008, 10:34 PM »
Fished Manawa derby also, not much luck.  Caught my first Walleye through ice, a whole ten inches!  Was still fun was our first time doing a derby, lots of people!  Tried Zorinsky after on Saturday, seen a lot but no takers.  Anyone go to Desoto this weekend?  Was thinking of trying there this week.

Offline midstate08

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #9 on: Jan 28, 2008, 11:18 PM »
took the kids fishing for about an hour and they out fished me.  ;D  5 year old daughter caught the biggest crappie ( 14 incher)  and five others.   :D  7 year old son caught 12 incher and eight others.  Dear old dad caught 4 :-X  I do have the excuse that I was to busy baiting hooks. :D  Drilled five holes used three of them.  Couldnt ask for a better day to take the kids with me.  They love ice fishing and it was the thrill of a life time watching them out fish me.

Offline DustyRhyno

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Giddy up!
« Reply #10 on: Jan 29, 2008, 07:33 AM »
Nice perch hardh2ofish!

Midstate08-Sounds like you had a great time. My son outfished me on Saturday and I'll be hearing about it all week. ::)

Offline Sandbilly

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Ice Fishing Rulez!
« Reply #11 on: Jan 29, 2008, 08:34 PM »
  Caught quite a few kept these to clean  maybe 40, completely filled a five gal. bucket.

Ya know it's a good day when that happens. ;D

Good to hear from you midstate. Get use to the kids out fishin the old man. Have you been on Calamus?

dc

Offline midstate08

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #12 on: Jan 29, 2008, 09:56 PM »
been on the calamus twice and it is veryyyyyyyyyyyyyyy slow. ???   Had a couple of bites and that is all on the west end.  Did catch a couple of perch. yes I did say perch in the middle of the lake.  Took the four wheeler out there.  Have been going elsewhere to fish it has been really slow.  Brother in law was out there this past friday and fished all day and had couple of bites.  We have been trying new spots on the lake to try and find some of the hundreds of walleye that a person catches in the summer but havent found them yet.  They have to be in there but have yet to find them through the ice.

Offline coyotetrapper1

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #13 on: Jan 30, 2008, 12:11 PM »
 Went to Box Butte Sunday   Six guys with a bunch of tipups, some jigging,  fished five hours for five fish, four notherns and one large mouth bass , all on minnows, didn't have any wax worms.   Ice at least 15 inches, snow covered.   Slow, some guys were catching a few gills and northerns with wax worms.   Hunter Point area.     ;D

Offline Sandbilly

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Ice Fishing Rulez!
« Reply #14 on: Jan 30, 2008, 08:23 PM »
Welcome to the board yotetrp1.

dc

Offline midstate08

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #15 on: Feb 02, 2008, 06:31 PM »
anyone with suggestions for catching crappie other than minnows and waxies?  Tried small plastic twister tails that didnt work real well. 

Offline DustyRhyno

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Giddy up!
« Reply #16 on: Feb 02, 2008, 06:38 PM »
I have had occasional success with a jigging spoon. (Kastmater)

Offline flatwalter

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #17 on: Feb 02, 2008, 09:04 PM »
Had good luck today on crappies using a Swedish Pimple and Hali dropper tipped with a waxie.

Duh! Guess that is still using waxies isn't it.
 ;D ;D

Offline walleye4

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Ice, Ice, BABY!!!!!!!!
« Reply #18 on: Feb 02, 2008, 10:07 PM »
Can't beat a 1/16 oz jig with a 1 1/2" tube.  Anything with chartruese in it is a good place to start.

OH NO, I have Jig-a-nitis!  Very deadly disease!!!

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.