Author Topic: LP Tanks - Refil or Exchange?  (Read 5242 times)

Offline defish

• Team IceShanty Regular
LP Tanks - Refil or Exchange?
« on: Jan 26, 2023, 09:00 AM »
Always been a charcoal guy for grilling so no experience with LP tanks. 

What are the advantages of refilling or exchanging 20lb. tanks?

Thanks.

Offline hardwater diehard

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
Re: LP Tanks - Refil or Exchange?
« Reply #1 on: Jan 26, 2023, 09:03 AM »
Cheaper to refill for the most part ..Some tractor Supply do it ...but may be cheaper and/or easier places in your area . Exchanged tanks usually are not full.
Give a man a fish he eats for a day .Teach a man to ice fish he has an obsession for a lifetime

Offline HWeber

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #2 on: Jan 26, 2023, 09:15 AM »
If you have a good refill place you get more for cheaper. Personally I exchange, local refill stations are slow so I pay a bit more to exchange. My local gas station exchange is pretty much as quick as walking in to pay.

Offline esox_xtm

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShantyholic
  • It's Showtime!
« Reply #3 on: Jan 26, 2023, 09:39 AM »
Always refill. I have 4 20# tanks so I've always got at least 1 working on and another full in reserve while the other two are being refilled. Also have an 11# and 5# for travel and now the capability to refill the little green bombs myself.
To fish or not to fish? That's a stupid question!

“Imagination is the only weapon in the war against reality.”― Lewis Carroll

Offline grababrewski

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #4 on: Jan 26, 2023, 10:04 AM »
Not sure if it's true, but it sounds believable.
I've heard that the price of LP determines how full they fill the exchange tanks.

Offline jakediesel1

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #5 on: Jan 26, 2023, 10:29 AM »
we use our local farmers coop to fill ours. takes less than 2 minutes and is half the price or less than exchange where we are at. around 18$ or less to fill. they do inspect for leaks and will not fill old tanks without opd valve. exchange those first.

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #6 on: Jan 26, 2023, 10:39 AM »
I believe the exchange tanks are only filled to 75% for transport/safety reasons

Information on your tanks expiration date

https://www.ferrellgas.com/tank-talk/blog-articles/how-to-tell-if-your-propane-tank-is-expired-and-what-to-do-next/
Give a man a fish he eats for a day .Teach a man to ice fish he has an obsession for a lifetime

Offline albo

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #7 on: Jan 26, 2023, 10:46 AM »
If my tanks are expired I exchange them. Else I save empty tanks until we have either a sale on propane (50% at Murdoch's ) or we have a local place that offers a discount if you purchase over 100 lbs if I need to fill before the sale.
if you're too busy to go fishing, you're too busy

Offline esox_xtm

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShantyholic
  • It's Showtime!
« Reply #8 on: Jan 26, 2023, 10:54 AM »
Expired 20# are easy to exchange. I have my small tanks recertified. Costs a fraction of buying another new one and is good for another 5 years.
To fish or not to fish? That's a stupid question!

“Imagination is the only weapon in the war against reality.”― Lewis Carroll

Offline HWeber

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #9 on: Jan 26, 2023, 10:59 AM »
I believe the exchange tanks are only filled to 75% for transport/safety reasons

https://www.ferrellgas.com/tank-talk/blog-articles/how-to-tell-if-your-propane-tank-is-expired-and-what-to-do-next/

Yup always get 15# when you exchange 20#. Wish my local refill places were more ambitious

Offline Iceassin

• Team IceShantyholic
  • The secret to fishing...fish where the fish are.
« Reply #10 on: Jan 26, 2023, 11:15 AM »
I refill at a locally owned LP dealer. Always full...always cheaper.
"Si quaeris peninsulam amoenam circumspice."

Offline Timmer

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #11 on: Jan 26, 2023, 11:18 AM »
I take good care of my property.  Many of the exchange ones are old and rusty, and I don't necessarily trust others to be reasonably careful or gentle with how they use the knobs and threads.
Timmer
Most of the tools, some of the skills!

Offline SLAYERFISH

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #12 on: Jan 26, 2023, 11:32 AM »
I refill them until the expiration date then trade em in! ;D
Love Me or Hate Me-
All Metal all the Time!

Offline jakediesel1

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #13 on: Jan 26, 2023, 01:50 PM »
I always got a kick out of the exchange ones. they just spray paint them to look new!

Offline Hoserman

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #14 on: Jan 26, 2023, 02:20 PM »
Where I live its 30 miles to Mio Michigan and there is an Amish general store there. They refill tanks for a lot less. Last time I went there it was $8.50 to fill and it WAS filled.
Tried ice fishing with Dynamite, UGH... where's my shanty?

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #15 on: Jan 26, 2023, 02:29 PM »
Where I live its 30 miles to Mio Michigan and there is an Amish general store there. They refill tanks for a lot less. Last time I went there it was $8.50 to fill and it WAS filled.

Sometimes "over filling them" can cause the valve to get wonky . Always best to check its operation before heading out for a day of fishing .

Offline Raquettedacker

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #16 on: Jan 26, 2023, 02:33 PM »
Always been a charcoal guy for grilling so no experience with LP tanks. 

What  are the advantages of refilling or exchanging 20lb. tanks?

Thanks.

If you read on the exchange ones is something like filled to it 85% due to safety reasons.  They’re about $27. 
 Tractor supply refills by the liquid gallons not weight. Usually around $13.  JMO..  ;)
Strangers stopping strangers just to shake there hand.
         The successful life were living has us feuding like the Hatfields and McCoys...
Pro Staff Member "Team Loser"

Offline perch chacer

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #17 on: Jan 26, 2023, 02:51 PM »
I like to refill instead of exchange.  A refill will cost you a few $$ less.  Also a refill will get you your own tank back where as an exchange will get you someone else's tank just painted over and it my only have a short time left on its useable life.

Offline Hoserman

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #18 on: Jan 26, 2023, 02:55 PM »
I like to refill instead of exchange.  A refill will cost you a few $$ less.  Also a refill will get you your own tank back where as an exchange will get you someone else's tank just painted over and it my only have a short time left on its useable life.

Thats true. Better to have your tank than someone else's misery. I have seen that before.
Tried ice fishing with Dynamite, UGH... where's my shanty?

Offline slipperybob

• Team IceShantyholic
  • LX5 or die...maybe extra battery.
« Reply #19 on: Jan 26, 2023, 03:02 PM »
I refill and the guy always says, your super old tank there is in a very good condition.

I always worry cuz it's super old.  LOL.
For more information read my MN nice journal

Offline defish

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #20 on: Jan 26, 2023, 03:03 PM »
Thanks everyone - a lot of great into!

Looks like I'll go the refill route for a 20lb tank.

Starting out from scratch would I be better off to buy a new empty tank than to buy an exchanged tank?

I'll be using the tank to refill 1lb Flame King cylinders - is it worthwhile to have a pressure gauge on the 20lb tank?

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #21 on: Jan 26, 2023, 03:35 PM »
Some Dollar General stores do exchanges...and offer discounts from time to time .Appears to be one going on now.

I know that some DG offer $5 off $25 on Saturday with digital coupon ...

https://www.dollargeneral.com/deals/weekly-ads

Offline straightShot

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #22 on: Jan 26, 2023, 05:02 PM »
20# tanks are only filled to 15# in the exhange for pre-filled tanks.  People think that they're getting a full tank.  They're not.

If you take a tank that  has a date stamp on it and it's less than 12 years time from the present date, you can get it filled fully at a propane refilling station.  The only time that I would exchange a tank is if the date stamp on the tank is older than 12 years since a propane refilling place wouldn't be able to refill it.  I'd then look for the youngest tank on the rack if given a choice between date stamps on refilled tanks, and I'd turn in the expired tank.

Offline Baetis62

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #23 on: Jan 26, 2023, 05:35 PM »
I refill at a locally owned LP dealer. Always full...always cheaper.

Me too and most will re-certify a tank that's "expired" and stamp it good for another 5 years (i think).

Offline bobberbill

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #24 on: Jan 26, 2023, 05:54 PM »
Re certifiying a tank is just a visual inspection, logged serial # in the DOT book, and a sticker placed on the tank. Cost is usually a couple bucks. Most cage exchange tanks contain 15# and the local gas supply company fills to 20#. Exchange makes their money off a partial fill and full price or over priced. Convenience costs money.

Offline 1MOFISH

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • The ice is always safe are you in ???????????????
« Reply #25 on: Jan 26, 2023, 06:03 PM »
  If you read on the exchange ones is something like filled to it 85% due to safety reasons.  They’re about $27. 
 Tractor supply refills by the liquid gallons not weight. Usually around $13.  JMO..  ;)
my tractor supply post price per gallon based on national cost,like a gas station.
GOD BLESS
mo
p/s my rich neighbors throw their grills out on trash day,unlimited p/u,i got 2 tanks one was full before the scrappers came.go figure.
LOVE THE LORD YOUR GOD WITH ALL YOUR HEART AND SOUL AND STRENGTH and'LOVE THY NEiGHBOR AS THYSELF'   GOD

Offline grababrewski

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #26 on: Jan 26, 2023, 07:32 PM »
I do both, I usually go to Ace and get them refilled. It's cheaper and they have a punch card, 5th one is free. I'll do the exchange if the valve gets weird.
I have a 5# tank that works great. I took it to AAA Propane and got it filled, them f******s charged me the same as a 20#. They said that was the minimum charge they do WTH?? Last time I went there. Great policy dicks!

My brother works for a company that does hazmat cleanup. He said when they have to do cleanup on a meth lab they have to destroy all the LP tanks on the site. I guess the cops fight on which department gets the tanks. They take take them to their range and shoot them. Sounds like fun to me!  :callcops: :o :flex: :clap:

Offline 9huskies

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #27 on: Jan 26, 2023, 09:16 PM »

I don't think it's for transport safety. I remember when the exchange tanks were filled to 20 pounds. Then they went to 18 pounds when the price of propane went up. A few years later they went to 15 pounds but the price to exchange a tank stayed the same.

Offline Wyoming_Ice

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Ice Fishing God's Country "Big Wounderful Wyoming"
« Reply #28 on: Jan 26, 2023, 10:38 PM »
My friend "Lippy" told me today that he went and refilled one. It cost $ 22.00. We exchange one for $17.00.
So, unless I'm topping one off, exchange is the way to go for me.  :tipup:
RIP "LT"   This place just won't be the same...

Offline POk3s

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Gettin' JGGY with it!
« Reply #29 on: Jan 27, 2023, 09:08 AM »
Exchanges are currently $22 here, but I guess I’m one that didn’t know they didn’t FILL the tanks. I’ll be checking into this further!
Trent Williams
When hell freezes over, I’ll ice fish there too!

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.