The ice fishing PA boards are sponsored by:

Author Topic: PFAS and PFOS in freshwater fish, CRAP!!!  (Read 1183 times)

Offline filetandrelease

• Team IceshantyInsanity
Re: PFAS and PFOS in freshwater fish, CRAP!!!
« Reply #1 on: Jan 26, 2023, 04:32 AM »
 Good luck avoiding exposer , the list is endless
 http://https://www.greenmatters.com/p/pfas-chemicals-list

Offline PAFishFiend

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #2 on: Jan 26, 2023, 08:06 AM »
I still plan on eating freshwater fish occasionally, just like I've always done. The reasons:

1. PFAS/PFOS have been in use for a long time and are persistent. You can eliminate or reduce their usage, but they're here to stay. In fact, almost everyone already has detectable levels in their blood, whether they've eaten freshwater fish or not.
2. The studies involving health effects have been based on quite large amounts fed to rodents. That's the way all toxicology studies are done. Your likely not to ingest that much if eating occasionally or in moderation.
3. The potential effects include potential for higher cholesterol, higher blood pressure, changes in liver enzymes, and higher risk of kidney and testicular cancer. Pregnant women and infants should avoid known sources of PFAS.

For an old fart like me, I have the same risks if I don't watch my diet and eat in moderation. So I'll still enjoy some crisp, battered, fried crappie fillets now and then. OH I almost forgot...that cooking oil I fry them in can cause high cholesterol, blood pressure, liver enzymes, and increase my risk of cancer. Maybe I'll just start eating crackers and water.  ;)

Offline MumbleSEED

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • "If you plant corn you get corn!"
« Reply #3 on: Jan 26, 2023, 08:11 AM »

With the right seasoning breading and some hot sauce I usually barely taste the PFAs.

I like small to medium fish for table fair maybe they haven’t soaked up the extra stuff as much?
If only God would come down in the form of a man and explain everything to us.

Offline filetandrelease

• Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #4 on: Jan 26, 2023, 08:26 AM »

They look good , MS

Offline saphireblue99

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #5 on: Jan 26, 2023, 09:55 AM »
Unless your frying them in lard, vegetable oils have ZERO cholesterol ;D

Offline deer george

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #6 on: Jan 26, 2023, 10:22 AM »
     Well, we are having a crappie meal tonight with green beans mashed potatoes stewed tomatoes . Hope I make it until we get some ice so we can have more crappie meals in the near future. 

Offline t_rainey

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #7 on: Jan 26, 2023, 11:24 AM »
We need to get the cricket processing plants running ASAP! :o

Offline PAFishFiend

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #8 on: Jan 26, 2023, 12:55 PM »
Crickets make good bluegill bait. ;D

Offline butcher

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #9 on: Jan 26, 2023, 01:48 PM »
Unless your frying them in lard, vegetable oils have ZERO cholesterol ;D

Actually, that's only partially true saphireblue99. All animal products contain some level of cholesterol. Most fish is relatively low in cholesterol but it does have some cholesterol in it so the filets themselves do contain cholesterol.

As regards the vegetable oil, you are correct. It contains zero cholesterol...

However...

It is very high in fat and can cause your body to produce cholesterol when you consume it which is actually worse. Let me explain:

There are two ways we get cholesterol in our bodies:

1) Your body produces cholesterol naturally so it's there already in varying levels.
2) The food you eat can contain cholesterol.

Certain foods like egg yolks, shellfish and liver contain high levels of cholesterol. When you eat them, your cholesterol levels spike but as your body processes the food, much of that cholesterol is released as waste. Therefore, most of that cholesterol is transient and only increases your cholesterol briefly.

Consuming fatty foods like ice cream, cheese and fried items causes a reaction in your body that spurs it to create cholesterol. This happens even if you are eating something that contains no cholesterol (French fries, refried beans, vegetable shortening, etc.). When your body starts to produce cholesterol, those molecules tend to stay in your system for a very long time. Depending on your cholesterol levels, this can be bad. Ironically, it might be better to eat 6 ounces of liver which is a virtual cholesterol bomb than 6 ounces of fries. The cholesterol from the liver will be gone in a day or two but the excess cholesterol produced from eating the fries can last for weeks.

And since we are on the topic, its important to know there are two types of cholesterol:

High Density Lipids (HDL) - the "good" cholesterol
Low Density Lipids (LDL) - the "bad" cholesterol

LDLs are soft and spongy. When they travel through your arteries, they tend to stick to the wall of the veins and then other LDL particles stick to them which can create blockages in your arteries. The HDLs are smooth, hard particles like marbles. They travel through your arteries and scrape against the walls and clean out clogs like accumulations of HDLs. The HDLs are effectively like a drain snake that keeps your arteries clear. Fatty foods that contain stuff like trans fats cause your body to produce LDLs but foods with healthier fats like omega 3 (found in salmon) help produce HDLs.

So there you have it! Everything you never wanted to know about cholesterol but Butcher decided to tell you anyway.

Lord, please send us some ice so we can talk about fishing techniques and what' biting rather than health issues!

Be well!

Butcher

Offline t_rainey

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #10 on: Jan 26, 2023, 03:05 PM »
We’ll said Butcher.  Most people will rightly be upset about the chemicals in the water, yet have no idea how poisonous vegetable/canola/seed oils are.  Heck, if this country was truly concerned about what people are eating, about 75% of the grocery store would be outlawed.

But there’s no money to be made in healthy people, so keeping everyone just sick enough consume meds is the way to go.

Offline namkeng

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #11 on: Jan 26, 2023, 05:13 PM »
If it's in the fish, it's in the water. Which means we are drinking it. How are you going to escape that?

Funny how the corporations never know the materials they use and release into the environment are are toxic until it's too late. Except when they do: https://www.brownlawyers.ca/who-knew-asbestos-was-dangerous-and-when.html

Offline boatman

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #12 on: Jan 26, 2023, 07:38 PM »
I'm no scientist but they're talking parts per billion let me repeat that parts per billion. Don't think you got anything to be worried about. I would be more worried if I took the covid vaccine, That had very little testing done, And millions of people did  Take it and now people are dying at an alarming rate from heart attacks.

Offline beerduck

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • beer and fish nut
« Reply #13 on: Jan 27, 2023, 03:35 AM »
There is a movie called Dark Water about  this very topic. its more based on the factories releasing bad chemicals in fields and water supplies  but it was interesting i believe the Teflon company invented a a coating aka tfal for military machines and ended up as a non stick material with so many uses thus being now detected in everyone and everything       if my memory serves me correct

Offline Scranton Joe

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #14 on: Jan 27, 2023, 07:07 AM »
I'm no scientist but they're talking parts per billion let me repeat that parts per billion. Don't think you got anything to be worried about. I would be more worried if I took the covid vaccine, That had very little testing done, And millions of people did  Take it and now people are dying at an alarming rate from heart attacks.

I think you need to look at what parts per billion means in terms of toxicity.

If something  is toxic at 50 parts per billion, it's not a good sign.  It certainly  shouldn't  be discounted  or diluted imo.

Offline Steidyj

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #15 on: Jan 27, 2023, 10:46 AM »
Can't be any worse than the average meats in a grocery store, read the report and it will not change my fish eating habits 1 bit.
Nice write up butcher, I agree with your final sentiment and hope to be walking on water in february. Thinking of getting out and trying in some local streams for some of the last stocked traut before the season closes.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.