Ice Fishing Tips -Check your local regulations! > Perch

Perch Jigging Rod Suggestions

<< < (3/3)

jigmaster5:
you can use alot of rods for perch...depends on a few factors....shallow/deep....inside/outside....+32F or below freezing....lure weights, etc.

for an all around perch rod, my absolute favorite is a sportsman's direct 34" extreme taper glass blank.  it's too long for most flipovers, but you could cut it down.  i like the extra length when fishing outside.  now is the perfect time to build your own.  and the blanks are cheap!  $5??  can make them as fancy or simple as you like.  personally, i like simple...and the fish don't care how good the rod looks.  Read a few posts on here how to wrap an ice rod, watch a couple YT vids, + give it a shot.

that rod has the perfect blend of backbone & soft tip...and once hooked, the fish have a very hard time shaking off b/c it's glass.  i mostly run fireline crystal to a fluoro leader on that rod.  the superline helps w/ sensitivity which slips a little w/ glass.  it's still the best that I've found - esp. for the price.

if you didn't want to go that route, my 2nd suggestion would be a noodle rod.  any commercial vendor is fine (noodle rods are a pain to build).  most are short, so they work well in a shack or flipover.  the biggest drawback w/ most of them is that guides are small - so they ice up fast.  try to get 1 with bigger than average guides.  they also break easily, so make sure to get a case + loosen the drag before storing.

almost any rod will work for perch when the bite is hot.  heck, i had a couple older guys school me fishing dowels wrapped w/ 20 lb mono + big swedish pimple w/ a perch eye for bait.  i think that's the only lure they owned.  they were old school & didn't want to spend 1 extra penny on fishing gear.  so a short length of leftover dowel & they'd watch their kinked up mono to see the kinks move to signal a bite....it worked extremely well (but only when the bite was hot)   ;D

now here's the twist....when the bite was tough, they struggled mightly - but a noodle rod shined.  2 lb test, noodle rod, tiny tungsten + spike....you'll be catching perch (& other panfish) when everybody else on the ice is frustrated.

CoachWalleye74:
JT Panhandler w/spring bobber. 

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[*] Previous page

Go to full version