Author Topic: Inline ice reels.  (Read 5031 times)

Offline Agronomist_at_IA

• Team IceShantyholic
  • Team Iowa!
Inline ice reels.
« on: Nov 15, 2020, 11:20 PM »
Just wondering on people's thoughts...kinda seeing the inline ice reels getting some talk.was suprised.....I figured the fad was over. Besides a free fall on a ST croix spring bobber pole I've removed all my inlines and have them sitting on the shelf. Besides a panfish application are people even using them much anymore?

Offline kasilofchrisn

• Team IceShanty Maniac
Re: Inline ice reels.
« Reply #1 on: Nov 15, 2020, 11:57 PM »
Yes I use mine all the time.
We don't have panfish here in Alaska but for landlocked salmon and trout they work great.
I have 2 black betty 6061's.
Whether or not they were a fad I'm going to keep using mine just because I like them.
I can't say I catch more fish because I'm using them.
But I can say I do enjoy using them.
KasilofChrisN
"I listen to the voices in my tackle box"

Offline HWeber

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #2 on: Nov 16, 2020, 02:33 AM »
Tried it,  failed to get use to it, and gave them away. Over running the spool or pulling line out seemed to be my options which meant any advantage gained was negated by time spent fighting the reel. Really wanted to like the freefall but didn't have the patience to get there

Offline slipperybob

• Team IceShantyholic
  • LX5 or die...maybe extra battery.
« Reply #3 on: Nov 16, 2020, 02:55 AM »
Everything are tools to be used for whatever task one intends.  Some tools works better than others.  Some tools may never be truly appreciated for what the intended task is.  Some tools are better at accomplishing a task over another tool through design or personal affinity.
For more information read my MN nice journal

Offline DR.SPECKLER

• Team IceShantyholic
  • find your own fish..
« Reply #4 on: Nov 16, 2020, 05:05 AM »
I only use mine for smelt fishing in deep water,they dont drop a 3mm jig very good at all,unbalanced feel and mediocre drag.i use them with a hali or heavy jigging spoon because its the only thing that freespools off the reel good.ive only tried frabill,cgi no 8 and ec inlines and not paying the money for the better ones because i could buy almost 3 shimano sienna 500s for the price of a good inline.

Offline sonner

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #5 on: Nov 16, 2020, 05:58 AM »
I started the switch over a few years ago. Now my arsenal is full of them. It does remove some line twist. Over all it has become a confidence item. The rod/reel combo that started it gave me confidence and that allowed me to continue down that road. Do they have issues still... Yessir. And when they back lash and spin off the spool in negative temps you wanna throw the pole down the hole... But when they run smooth its the best day of fishing. 32" bro series straight line combos and wife picked me up a radioactive pickle.
When Hell freezes over I'll fish there too.

Offline filetandrelease

• Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #6 on: Nov 16, 2020, 06:23 AM »

I have 6061s first year they came out Ive used them for perch walleyes and lakers to 125+ FOW , run mine with total free spool
 I run no 3 Raps to 1.25 once rigs but I’ve been running old palm fly reels a very long time , when not paying attention I get some back lash 😜
 They are fun but don’t catch anymore fish ,
 I still run spinning reels
   Far as panfish it’s all hand-line as they run shallow here
 To each their own

Offline stripernut

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Tight Lines!
« Reply #7 on: Nov 16, 2020, 06:39 AM »
To each, their own tried them did not find any real advantages to my style of fishing.

Online missoulafish

• Team IceShantyholic
  • TēM HîPē F˙Sh
« Reply #8 on: Nov 16, 2020, 06:47 AM »
Stuck with spinning reels and had zero issues....

Offline Iceassin

• Team IceShantyholic
  • The secret to fishing...fish where the fish are.
« Reply #9 on: Nov 16, 2020, 07:01 AM »
I have a couple of "in-lines" that I'm getting ready to break out...made by Schooley.  ;)
"Si quaeris peninsulam amoenam circumspice."

Offline cwavs1982

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #10 on: Nov 16, 2020, 07:03 AM »
My 6061's are on my ultralight rods.  Use these really only for panfish.  When its time to target walleye I really like the spinning reels and frankly never even thought of using them.  They have their place. 

I did buy a free spinning inline and I can see what the other members have seen - these things can spin the line off quickly and pretty soon you are looking at a mess.
I do hunt, and I do fish, and I don't apologize to anybody for hunting and fishing - Norman Schwarzkopf

Offline Junkie4Ice

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #11 on: Nov 16, 2020, 07:03 AM »
I can't think of a reason to not use inline reels. Outside of a traditionally better drag system with spinning reels, which is irrelevant with panfish, there is no benefit of spinning over inline. The only time I use spinning reels is for my iFish pros, because you need the open drag system.
We're finally seeing the push towards a better drag system while maintaining the benefits of an inline reel, the next few years should be interesting for inlines. I see that 13 fishing is the first to release a larger inline reel designed specifically for game fish. I would guess we will see more species-specific inlines coming out soon.
Da Pack!

Offline DrummerManDrew

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #12 on: Nov 16, 2020, 07:20 AM »
Just wondering on people's thoughts...kinda seeing the inline ice reels getting some talk.was suprised.....I figured the fad was over. Besides a free fall on a ST croix spring bobber pole I've removed all my inlines and have them sitting on the shelf. Besides a panfish application are people even using them much anymore?

I bought some a couple years ago and tried them out. Here my pros and cons

pros
1) If you fishing in clear water and you like to watch to see just how close you want the jig to the bottom, when you put your finger on the side of the reel its super easy to control the depth you desire. I found with spinning reels, sometimes its a hassle.

2) Storage in a rod case is nice because the reels are flat.

3) I like the drag adjustment on these. In open water I'm use to fishing bait casters so its just a similar feature.

cons
1) I prefer the retrieve on a spinning because the line being spooled on the retrieve is controlled by the bail. I haven't seen a inline that has a "type" of bailing system to retrieve the line back into a proper spool. It can result in the spool being heavier on one side of the reel.

2) You can get a really nice spinning reel at a reasonable cost. The nicer inline reels usually come with a higher price. I read someone in the post mention the 13 fishing Ghost  and Black Betty... both super nice with cool functions... ask your self what kind of of spinning reel for an ice set up could I get from 75 - 150 range?

Personally if your interested in seeing how you like the basics of an inline, I started off with EagelClaw Cold Smoke combo just to see if this was something I would consider at higher levels of craftsmanship. If you look on eBay "or whatever your source" you can find them new for about the cost of an Abu Garcia Veritas ice rod. 35-50 ish.

Be well and DO Good Work!

Offline Fish Butcher

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #13 on: Nov 16, 2020, 07:49 AM »
For those real tough, mid-winter, panfish days in shallow water I ALWAYS keep a schooley spooled with clear 1lb. test in the shanty and I lay down a black rubber mat by the hole to watch the kink in the line. Seems a little less line spin does a world of good.

Offline Dave R

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #14 on: Nov 16, 2020, 08:17 AM »
I have a couple of "in-lines" that I'm getting ready to break out...made by Schooley.  ;)

I always carry a couple of short rods with Schooley reels attached.

The first two inlines I tried I hated and wound up giving them away. Last year after contacting someone in the industry that I respect I bought two Frabill 261s. The drag, although not perfect,  was better than the first two. So I carry two panfish set ups with those and two set ups with spinning reels.

Offline offshoredrilling

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #15 on: Nov 16, 2020, 08:24 AM »
I gave a cheap inline a shot the last two seasons and was not a fan.  Overrunning the spool and finnicky operation really turned me off. The gear junkie in me says I need to spend money for a higher end reel to "get the experience" of what a good inline will do. I'm *almost* perfectly happy with my spinning reels minus the line twist and I take that as coming with the territory of small diameter spools and cold weather.

Offline Rebelss

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
  • Inventor of Minnow Magic American Patriot
« Reply #16 on: Nov 16, 2020, 08:58 AM »
They have their time and place. I use my old Schooleys when I'm on a short trip, fishing shallow water, 10' or less, and while going for 'gills or sunnies. Work best for me when I tip my lure witha monnow, added weight seems to help, as I don't normally add split shot.

“The mass of men live lives of quiet desperation”  Thoreau

Offline 800stealth

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #17 on: Nov 16, 2020, 09:29 AM »
I haven't tried one yet but I'm a huge fan of the Pflueger President series. With them coming out with a president inline this season it seams like a good time to give the inlines a try.
"May your lines be tight and never be tangled" (old Frankish Proverb)  Guinea 2021

Offline hawg

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #18 on: Nov 16, 2020, 09:39 AM »
I tried them and had all of the problems mentioned too, in fact I threw my black Betty down the hole! Yes, I littered, but it felt soooooo good. I do get curious now and then about whether they’ve gotten better. I didn’t mind the fact I had to peel line, it was the overrunning that pissed me of so bad. If you even set it down down the line would come off.

Online missoulafish

• Team IceShantyholic
  • TēM HîPē F˙Sh
« Reply #19 on: Nov 16, 2020, 09:43 AM »
 ;D

Offline Rebelss

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
  • Inventor of Minnow Magic American Patriot
« Reply #20 on: Nov 16, 2020, 10:03 AM »
I tried them and had all of the problems mentioned too, in fact I threw my black Betty down the hole! Yes, I littered, but it felt soooooo good. I do get curious now and then about whether they’ve gotten better. I didn’t mind the fact I had to peel line, it was the overrunning that pissed me of so bad. If you even set it down down the line would come off.

Shoulda tried the $5 cheapie like mine first.  ;D
“The mass of men live lives of quiet desperation”  Thoreau

Offline Anderj85

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #21 on: Nov 16, 2020, 10:04 AM »
I tried a 13 freefall ghost.  As everyone else has mentioned they are slow dropping 3mm jigs, regardless of how you adjust spool tension.  The biggest dislike for me was that is just felt cheap.  It did not feel smooth or solid like you would expect for a $75 reel.  To me, they felt like something you'd get at walmart for $10.

Offline iceman260

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #22 on: Nov 16, 2020, 10:12 AM »
Anyone bought a Plueger President online just curious what you might think of it.
If fishing is a sport are we considered athletes?

Offline Junkie4Ice

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #23 on: Nov 16, 2020, 10:21 AM »
Anyone bought a Plueger President online just curious what you might think of it.

Did you find somewhere to buy it? The only way I could find it was in a combo package which isn't what I was looking for
Da Pack!

Offline TheMainah

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #24 on: Nov 16, 2020, 10:26 AM »
I have moved strictly to inline reels and won't go back, I have a freefall, a 6061, and the original black betty. I use the 6061 on a 36MH and the Black Betty on a 23ul the most, looking at the freefall XL for this season, thinking about pairing it with a 36M st.croix custom ice.
There he stands, draped in more equipment than a telephone lineman, trying to outwit an organism with a brain no bigger than a breadcrumb, and getting licked in the process.

Offline WALL E GATOR

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #25 on: Nov 16, 2020, 12:03 PM »
I have a few and do alright with them. Still run Spin reels on Jawjaker setups and even have a couple bait casters on some big game setups, oh and a Schooly too.  For going after perch and such I do just fine with the inline reels. Especially like how fast I can work up and down the water column with out tripping a bail just pull the trigger n release when I get back down to where I want to be or reel up. I think it is more what you get used to rather than one being better than the next. If you are catching fish with what you are using then you must be doing something right, keep doing that. 
FISH ON! and Tight Lines

Offline hawg

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #26 on: Nov 16, 2020, 12:09 PM »
Did you find somewhere to buy it? The only way I could find it was in a combo package which isn't what I was looking for
gander has them in their flyer on an Elite Tech rod for $79.97. Reel only $59

Offline vinella

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #27 on: Nov 16, 2020, 12:25 PM »

Sportsman's Guide has them. Picked up a President and Trion from there a couple weeks back

Offline hnd

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #28 on: Nov 16, 2020, 03:07 PM »

I started with okuma fly reels and kept at it for a few years all the way to a free fall.  black betty's, og 6061, eagle claws, cgi, spooler

I fish mainly for panfish but have to tussle with a cat or bass here or there.  after 5 or so years of this transition, i moved back to spinning reels.  there was 0 advantage and more disadvantages.  unless we were in a shack none of them would free spool a 3mm tungsten without help.   Their drags were mostly archaic compared to other options. 

my best friend never made the switch and i can't think of one time where "line spin" was the difference in him outfishing me.   

my buddy went on a guided trip with a guy who pushes inlines pretty hard all over the interwebs and tv and said the 2 days they went out the guy didn't have an inline in his hand once and they were fishing the exact conditions that would warrant one. 

I've seen a lot of the guys who started off using them, move back to spinning. 

In the end its a feel thing.  There are some who it just feels right in their hand and I get that.  But they were not for me.  seemed great idea at first but in the end fell flat in my scenarios. 

Offline Whopper Stopper

• Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #29 on: Nov 16, 2020, 03:45 PM »
I know 4 different people that went whole hog buying them a couple years ago.

Each one went back to spinning reels ???

WS

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.