Ice Fishing Tips -Check your local regulations! > Perch

Perch call

<< < (2/3) > >>

DR.SPECKLER:
Hmmm i always thought  the oltimer spear guys dropped eggshells on bottom to brighten up the spear hole and add some contrast.

Iceassin:

--- Quote from: DR.SPECKLER on Jan 14, 2020, 08:12 PM ---Hmmm i always thought  the oltimer spear guys dropped eggshells on bottom to brighten up the spear hole and add some contrast.

--- End quote ---

Yup...or navy beans. Never used them as an attractant or knew anyone that did.

Swift:
Just thump the bottom with your lure/jig. Sound travels well under water and they pick up on it naturally and it doesn't take much noise to do it. The little puffs of silt it kicks up helps the illusion of something edible and peaks interest. Eggshells are sometimes effective for light biting sight fishing contrast, I'm usually more interested in the hard boiled egg that originally was inside

Sylvanboat:
I have had mixed success with ice cubes filled with mixture of coffee grounds, mashed garlic & sea salt. Cubes sink to bottom and quickly melt.

32footsteps:
Perch are curious creatures. They are like cats in a way. Something grabs their eye and they want to check it out.

A summer tactic that works very well is to tie bright colored pieces of cloth to your anchor rope. It’ll draw them in for a look and when/if they come in you can jig for them off the side of your boat.

Winter really isn’t that much different. I employ a very different approach to finding perch than most with the way I incorporate tipups into the mix. Tip ups are a search tool. Once fish have been located with them (I’m constantly moving them until flags start going up) I’ll lock down a bit and break out a jig pole. I’ll always always have something with flash...whether it’s a slender spoon, beaded spoon, kast master, etc. it has to have flash to tap into a perch’s need to be nosy. If they are aggressive more often than not they’ll go after that spoon. If they are a bit more neutral I’ll go with a two rod approach with the 2nd being a dead stick within 10 feet of my flashy bait.

Of course perch that are suspended over deep water require a different approach. 

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version