Author Topic: Cleaning tiny Tungsten eyes?  (Read 8708 times)

Offline dkfry

• Team IceShanty Maniac
Re: Cleaning tiny Tungsten eyes?
« Reply #30 on: Feb 01, 2021, 04:34 PM »
I usually cut the paint off of each side with a small Tajima box cutter knife with the snap off blades I have and then use a hook or needle to clear the center of the eye. I found some paint to be brittle and can chip off easily, especially epoxy if I just jam something through the eye without cutting first.

Offline eyeflyer

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #31 on: Nov 21, 2021, 08:23 PM »
I am a fly tyer and with the poor quality of hooks and price for tungsten jigs I have been tying my own tungsten jigs. No longer have a problem with cheap hooks, poor paint and I can tie what ever sizes and colors I choose at less than a quarter of the cost................if you already have the vice.

Offline redzmvt

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #32 on: Nov 23, 2021, 12:14 AM »
I have a collection of carbide circuit board drills down to .010.I put them in a pin vise and cleans out eyes perfectly.I check the ones that I buy before putting them in the jig box.The ones I make myself I clean them out before curing(not tungsten ones).Those get air-dried with high quality epoxy finish that is thinned out.I usually don't bother with painting tungsten jigs,but make a lot with lead.Powder paint works perfect,and I don't believe powder works on tungsten,heat curing will destroy them.

Offline Rebelss

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
  • Inventor of Minnow Magic Muckletonian Society
« Reply #33 on: Nov 23, 2021, 08:22 AM »
I usually cut the paint off of each side with a small Tajima box cutter knife with the snap off blades I have and then use a hook or needle to clear the center of the eye. I found some paint to be brittle and can chip off easily, especially epoxy if I just jam something through the eye without cutting first.

Agree with this, and I use a steel dental pick to poke the hole clean.
"Seems like time is here and gone".....Doobies

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.