Author Topic: Curlew Lake Reports  (Read 18742 times)

Offline hookedlip

• IceShanty Rookie
Re: Curlew Lake Reports
« Reply #60 on: Jan 11, 2020, 04:23 PM »
Sounds great, thanks so much for the help!

Offline hookedlip

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #61 on: Jan 19, 2020, 01:33 PM »
Well we have reservations for sat night the 25th. Was hoping the cold temps last week got some decent ice built up...but looks like some warmer temps at the end of this upcoming week. Anyone been up there, I’d be curious what the ice is like. Thanks

Offline spiltmilt

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #62 on: Jan 20, 2020, 12:29 PM »
Well we have reservations for sat night the 25th. Was hoping the cold temps last week got some decent ice built up...but looks like some warmer temps at the end of this upcoming week. Anyone been up there, I’d be curious what the ice is like. Thanks

Ice remains good in front of the state park but the north end of the lake in front of Tiffany's remains unsafe. Highs in the 40's and rain this week will hinder any substantial ice growth and create a very sloppy mess. Be careful venturing away from the south end of the lake.

Offline hookedlip

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #63 on: Jan 20, 2020, 07:49 PM »
Thanks for the update on ice conditions....can’t believe the warm weather we are having. Might need to cancel and try for another weekend.  >:(

Offline jackchinook

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #64 on: Jan 26, 2020, 11:19 PM »
Hit Curlew this Saturday and fished off the islands at the state park. Ice was good immediately off the boat launch, maybe 5-6” of good ice with 3” of white frozen snow on top, then a few more inches of water/slush. Out around the island to the NW of the launch good ice was closer to 3-4” and kind of sketchy with a barely frozen slush layer. Weather was terribly warm - never seemed to really get below freezing all weekend and it was WET. Nearly everywhere had 2-3” of wet slush.

My family owns a cabin just south of Tiffany’s on the west side of the widest and deepest part of the lake.  We went down to the dock with an auger to see how it was there - the auger punched right through - ice was basically just a slush layer there on the main lake.

Fishing sucked. 1 small perch between our group. Quite a few trout between 5 and 16”. A few of the bigger ones had more copepods on them than I like to see.

Interestingly, we picked up an almost-black, milting male Kokanee about 15-16”. Cool to see at least one of the kokes WDFW has been stocking survived to adulthood. I’ve trolled around in the summer a few times and never seen one.

Pretty sure we saw perch on our screens but they just weren’t interested.

Offline spiltmilt

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #65 on: Dec 26, 2020, 02:21 PM »
Curlew Lake is good to go. 5-6" but still thin north of the island. Good luck have fun!

Offline spiltmilt

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #66 on: Jan 13, 2021, 10:30 AM »
Curlew is still fishing great!

Offline CoryTDF

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • I'm new but I'm awesome! Also, humble.....
« Reply #67 on: Jan 25, 2021, 05:23 PM »
Not a ton of action on this thread??? Washingfornia is just not the place for ice I guess. I do need to get up north and give curlew a try. Used to spend a lot of time there in the summer as a kid. 
Who knew iceholes could be so fun!

Offline spiltmilt

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #68 on: Jan 29, 2021, 12:58 PM »
Not a ton of action on this thread??? Washingfornia is just not the place for ice I guess. I do need to get up north and give curlew a try. Used to spend a lot of time there in the summer as a kid.

Most everyone has migrated to Facebook. My last trip to Curlew there was almost 40 people there. It's a popular pursuit here.

Offline CoryTDF

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #69 on: Feb 02, 2021, 08:30 AM »
Most everyone has migrated to Facebook. My last trip to Curlew there was almost 40 people there. It's a popular pursuit here.

Man, I was really hoping I would not have to go back onto FB again. Guess this would be worth looking at though. Sure hope the ice fishing page has found a way to keep politics out of every single freaking post. 

Offline elpescado

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #70 on: Nov 27, 2021, 09:30 PM »
Looks like FB is getting CANCELLED LOL....
A skiff of ice on the old mill pond this morning but nothing on Curlew yet.
I am a new user and Ferry County local and will post updates.
I don't do pics anymore sorry....geotracking and such...... >:(
Tight Lines

Offline aza10

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #71 on: Nov 27, 2021, 10:18 PM »
Thanks for the report!  It would be nice to get a few more users here on ice shanty and steer away from FB.  Really excited to get on curlew this season! :tipup:

Offline elpescado

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #72 on: Dec 09, 2021, 05:42 PM »
Getting cold! Tributary streams are freezing! Not long now.....

Offline elpescado

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #73 on: Dec 17, 2021, 05:53 PM »
1" of Ice at the State Park.....North End still looks open. Not quite yet.....
Will check again soon.......

Offline elpescado

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #74 on: Dec 21, 2021, 08:23 PM »
Just checked an area near Black's Beach and theres 3.5' of clear.....colder temps to come. Checking state park tomorrow.......

Offline hookedlip

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #75 on: Dec 21, 2021, 10:49 PM »
Can’t wait!  🎣

Offline gravelman_6

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #76 on: Dec 27, 2021, 10:00 AM »
Any news on Curlew lake ice. Hoping to go after New Years. Going to be cold just hope the snow on top doesn’t screw it up from making good ice. Tight lines guys.

Offline CoryTDF

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #77 on: Dec 27, 2021, 05:09 PM »
Sounds like there is ice near the state boat launch. People have been catching fish out there for sure.

Offline gravelman_6

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #78 on: Dec 28, 2021, 09:16 AM »
The temps in Curlew are below zero so it should be making ice. Will plan a trip after New Years.

Offline elpescado

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #79 on: Dec 28, 2021, 07:38 PM »
Its on at Curlew. Most of the lake should be safe by now. I fished near Black's Beach and ice was 4.5". Caught a few but the lake seems off this year...water is a weird color.

Offline gravelman_6

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #80 on: Dec 28, 2021, 07:48 PM »
Thanks for the report I appreciate it. Maybe the hot weather and dryness had something to do with the off color.

Offline elpescado

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #81 on: Dec 31, 2021, 05:58 PM »
Lots of tents even saw a quad on the lake today. Beautiful day. Fishing thru 8" of ice.

Offline elpescado

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #82 on: Jan 01, 2022, 10:01 AM »
Down to -12 last night.....and ice is 5-8" depending on where you drill.
Not seeing the size on the perch I was seeing last season but they are there. Lots of algae growth shallow.....maybe from such a warm summer and low water levels. Catching them right at the bottom in the silt layer.

Offline elpescado

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #83 on: Jan 06, 2022, 08:01 PM »
Tons of snow up here this past week. Unsure of what the ice is doing. Will post up this weekend.

Offline gravelman_6

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #84 on: Jan 11, 2022, 08:23 AM »
Does anyone know the snow conditions on Curlew lake? Would be going in from the state park launch. Thanks.

Offline gravelman_6

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #85 on: Jan 16, 2022, 08:15 AM »
Hit Curlew lake Saturday morn early. Ice is not snow covered and ice cleats are a must. Ice is plenty thick seen snowmobiles on it. Fished from State Park boat launch. Lots of people fishing parking lot overfilled with cars and trucks. Caught some perch but had a hard time finding them. Heard some guys did well. Good luck fishing.

Offline Southpole

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #86 on: Jan 18, 2022, 10:06 AM »
New member here! Following along with curlew ice reports. Hoping to get out there early February.

Offline myself

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #87 on: Jan 25, 2022, 10:22 PM »
New member.  Would like to try ice fishing with a guide.  Anyone know of any guides who will take an old man ice fishing in NE Washington?  Please post information.

Offline Southpole

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #88 on: Feb 11, 2022, 12:13 PM »
Been fishing Curlew since February 5. Ice is between 10-12”. I don’t know if it’s because it’s been warm this week but the ice has been making lots of noise, sometimes cracking around us and we can feel it move, kinda un nerving. The fishing has been slow but it might be that we aren’t fishing with maggots for the perch. We have been catching some whopper trout on night crawlers though. I do know a guy needs to be at least 40 feet deep.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.