Ice Fishing Tips -Check your local regulations! > Eelpout

Bait?

<< < (2/3) > >>

Water Wolf:
 I have had luck on smelt, shiners minnows, anchovies, salt water hearing and fish parts / fish belly etc.

If it's legal in your area, ciscos / tullibees / Lake herring are really good bait. They can be good whole if smaller or if large, cut up in chunks or strips as bait.

Hotdogs, bacon and other processed meats may also work in a pinch if out of your regular fish baits.

Any scented soft plastics or adding scent gels, like pro cure, are OK options also.

To sum it up, burbot are not that picky on what they eat just as long as it fits in their mouth and has some smell to it. :woot:

WW

fish_finder:
I have caught them on everything from beef liver to squid...long as its fresh and isn't rotten they will eat it..Big live minnow on bottom, or hunk of smelt. fresh herring or sucker works best...for jigging nothing beats a  pounding the bottom with a big buckshot spoon tipped with gulp alive..ive caught more on that then on tip=ups with live bait,,,think its all the noise and silt that stirs up that brings em in

NEK_VT:
I went a few evenings ago in northern VT.  I had 7 tip ups and a jig 4 live minnows and 4 dead bait (frozen fresh).  I caught burbot on the live minnows only.  Slow bite that night...  Usually I only use dead bait and catch them as fast as I can reset the tip ups.

Mr.Harry:
They've hit my overnight lines well with live, jumbo shiners. That's in NH. If I can't get particularly large shiners, I'll double up and put 2 on per hook. We have to have a one ounce weight no more than 6 inches in front of the bait, so it's not like the shiners can 'run away'. I think the live action and panic helps draw the cusk in as much as any scent would off a cut bait.

Yukoner:
Pike skin that has been removed from fillets is the best I have ever used. 

Cut into long diamond shaped pieces, and hooked on one end of the diamond, it flutters and undulates with the slightest twitch.  They can't leave it alone, and they can't steal it off the hook either.

Ted

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version