Author Topic: Another First Bait Tank Build  (Read 4100 times)

Offline Chris Raymond

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Lifelong Outdoorsman
Another First Bait Tank Build
« on: Nov 11, 2012, 06:46 PM »
I'm a couple of years late in getting this put together...better late than never I guess.  I have some pictures and narrative at this web page -- http://members.infinitecom.com/~craymond/BaitTankNarrative.htm and even more detailed photos for those that may be interested.  I already know there are some changes that I will need to make but would be interested in hearing some feedback from the bait tank veterans if they're so interested.  Here's a picture of the completed project in my basement. 

Chris Raymond

Offline beeverfishing

• Team IceShanty Maniac
Re: Another First Bait Tank Build
« Reply #1 on: Nov 11, 2012, 06:53 PM »
looks good.. til your bait goes to the back of the tank, under your plywood..  Best get a long handled net to get them out of there.  Otherwise you'll be tearing it apart to net them... Might wanna add some type of lid over the rest of it too.. I have lost several from them jumping out.. doesn't need to be much, just something to prevent them from jumping out.

Offline Chris Raymond

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Lifelong Outdoorsman
« Reply #2 on: Nov 11, 2012, 07:09 PM »
Thanks BF.  Much appreciated.  I already have a long handled net and plywood "hatch cover" ready to go. 
Chris Raymond

FRESHBAIT

« Reply #3 on: Nov 11, 2012, 07:45 PM »
I like it,  those stock tanks work pretty good for bait tanks.  The only time I ever had a problem with my bait jumping out of tank was when I had a bunch of Creek Chubs,  those chubs never wanted to stay in the tank.   

Offline Kevin23

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #4 on: Nov 11, 2012, 09:44 PM »
Looks great. Just watch your spray bar.. eventually you will get a good supply of scum in your filter (a good thing actually) and some of it WILL clog up your holes. And when it does, your wife wont like it! That is why I always suggest running straight out the filter and then using an aerator for extra oxygen.
EYECONICFISHING

Offline Chris Raymond

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Lifelong Outdoorsman
« Reply #5 on: Nov 12, 2012, 07:04 AM »
Makes sense.  When I upgrade my pump soon, I'll have to make a change in my filter outflow anyway and what you suggest is certainly less fuss. 
Chris Raymond

Offline Chris Raymond

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Lifelong Outdoorsman
« Reply #6 on: Nov 25, 2012, 02:13 PM »
Makes sense.  When I upgrade my pump soon, I'll have to make a change in my filter outflow anyway and what you suggest is certainly less fuss.

Well I upgraded my pump and all seems to be working great.  I went with one of those magnetic Pondmaster pumps rated for 750 gph but to be honest, the flow doesn't seem to be any faster.  At this point, I will hold off on moding the sprayer bar until clogging starts to occur...hope I catch that in time.  ;-)  BTW, the pondmaster is really quiet in comparison to what I was using.  Now all I need is fishable ice.   
Chris Raymond

FRESHBAIT

« Reply #7 on: Nov 28, 2012, 08:56 PM »
I've never really had any problems with my spray bar clogging,  I have on my aquariums in the house and all I do is just stick a piece of wire in to clear out the clog and its back to  normal.   

Offline Chris Raymond

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Lifelong Outdoorsman
« Reply #8 on: Dec 11, 2012, 07:40 AM »
Things seem to be going well so far with my starter minnows.  I did add an air pump to the mix as the water doesn't stay as cold as what I would like in my basement.  However, there are things I would do differently with the next build/re-build.  Also, I think I'm well over the edge of justifying this project as a way to save money on bait.  ;-)
Chris Raymond

Offline P Meyette

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #9 on: Dec 11, 2012, 06:06 PM »
nice should work fine

FRESHBAIT

« Reply #10 on: Dec 22, 2012, 09:38 AM »
It always seems that way,  way to much invested just for a bait tank.  Last year I think I went through 200 dozen b/w me and family members I provided bait for.  I know I saved money b/c I trap my own.  Initial start up is the big shock but once you have it it kinda pays for itself.  I chalk it up to ice fishing, as its a way to start prepping for the season.  Keep us updated with some pick of your tank with your bait.  Good luck this year.

Offline Chris Raymond

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Lifelong Outdoorsman
« Reply #11 on: Dec 22, 2012, 11:02 PM »
FB--As mentioned above, I overbuilt "capacity" into my bio-filter so that I wouldn't have to change water quite so often.  However, I was wondering, can one really do that or is the extra ammonia, by extra bait, needed into order to drive the extra bio-filtration?  Will the good bacteria only develop (i.e. "capacity")  to the quantity that the amount of bait waste dictates?
Chris Raymond

Offline Kevin23

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #12 on: Dec 23, 2012, 12:23 PM »
Will the good bacteria only develop (i.e. "capacity")  to the quantity that the amount of bait waste dictates?

Always.
EYECONICFISHING

Offline Chris Raymond

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Lifelong Outdoorsman
« Reply #13 on: Dec 23, 2012, 04:36 PM »
Always.

Figured that...not soon enough however.  At least I now have a filter that can scale for larger capacities in the future. 
Chris Raymond

Offline Kevin23

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #14 on: Dec 24, 2012, 12:36 PM »
If you slowly grow your #'s there will be no problem assuming your filter has enough capacity for the bacteria needed. If you are doing shiners, then add a dozen more each week and you should be fine. If you are doing suckers or chubs then add a half doz a week or so. Don't go and dump 4 doz suckers in at once and you should be golden.
EYECONICFISHING

Offline Chris Raymond

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Lifelong Outdoorsman
« Reply #15 on: Dec 24, 2012, 06:13 PM »
If you slowly grow your #'s there will be no problem assuming your filter has enough capacity for the bacteria needed. If you are doing shiners, then add a dozen more each week and you should be fine. If you are doing suckers or chubs then add a half doz a week or so. Don't go and dump 4 doz suckers in at once and you should be golden.

Thanks.  That's kind of what I was figuring.  I'm running 3 gals of small bioballs and a layer of 1-1/2 matala for a 50 gal tank with 700 gph (not measured but per stated pump info) turnover with aeration.  From what I could tell, I really only "needed" a gal of bioballs.  Any thoughts?
Chris Raymond

Offline needtobefishin

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #16 on: Dec 25, 2012, 01:53 PM »
Just a thought on keeping the spray bar clean. If the spray bar had PVC clean outs on both sides, I believe a Tube Brush could be used to remove the junk.
Never used a spray bar but I've cleaned some scum from tropical fish filters and a Tube Brush made quick work of it.

FRESHBAIT

« Reply #17 on: Dec 25, 2012, 02:51 PM »
You'll notice spike of ammonia whenever you add more bait to the tank as the bacteria will have to reproduce more to accommodate the increase ammonia. 

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.